Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    stuckie is a perfect example of what's wrong with the new Bred and Raised in the Internet Era generation.

in other words, he's spent enough time geekily reading internet discussions of his chosen hobby to allow him to SOUND informed, skilled, experienced when he posts.

after riding with him I realized how limited is his experience portfolio and how narrow his skill set. if he's talking about what "works" for him, don't listen. he doesn't have enough skill to discern differences.

he talks like he's a badass skier too, but I've never seen him at Snowbowl. ever.

the dude lives in a fantasy. that's the reason why he says the Ardent is so "slow". he doesn't even have enough muscle memory to remember the tire he's supposedly comparing the Ardent against. it feels "slow" because, frankly, he's fat, out of shape, has no pedaling power, has no pedaling stamina, pedals like a spaz. he's a freaking hack.

in other words, he's a perfect mascot for the way TGR has changed in the past decade, and for the way the internet has become saturated with Sounds Expert as Fuck! pretenders.

we were all hacks at one time. the difference between the old TGR and the current TGR is that the hacks now pretend at greatness, where before they had some humility.

stuckie's base of comparison for riding knowledge/skill is narrow and shallow. with some humility in his approach and some development of actual riding skill, he will one day be able to inform others with useful information. but now is the time for him to shut up, watch, listen, learn..
    Keep quiet child. The adults are trying to have a discussion here.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Thank you.

Captains are an OK tire. The rounded center tread is retarded, but the side knobs are a'ight.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
    Keep quiet child. The adults are trying to have a discussion here.
    oh I forgot, you're "sponsored by" a shit ski company, so you're an "adult." jesus, how did I miss that?

and stuckie, who rides 10x/year, with each ride being drive-to-the-trailhead and 1 hr pedaling time once begun, he's an "adult" in the MTB world too.

my how TGR has grown up. if you're a badass who loves himself online (like you! like stuckie!) then you're the "adult" in the e-room.

dig. with a steam shovel.

dug.

Thank you.

Captains are an OK tire. The rounded center tread is retarded, but the side knobs are a'ight.
    look! he knows how to regurgitate what woo says.

dude, you ride like a fucking late-stage Parkinson's patient. you nearly died of overexertion on the flat pavement ride between your house and the snake trailhead, and I was barely loping along. shut your fucking yap. the problem isn't the type of rear tire you run. it's not the gearing on your crank, nor on your cassette. it's that you imagine yourself a badass expert, when you're a fucking novice hack.

seriously, just stick an old sock in your yapper.

Dude, no one wants to hear your shit. And my new bike is a beast. And I know how to ski.
    No longer stuck.

Haven't been a big Schwalbe guy in the past, but if I end up sticking with little wheels next year, my next rear tire will be the new Rock Razor. Got to test ride the 650b version at Ibike. Maybe that is why the Genius LT rode so nice The little center knobs roll fast and seemed a bit tougher than the tiny BBG fins that ripped off too easy under hard braking. Not quite as locked in corners as the BBG when new, but pretty dang good.

Love that they are making a super gravity version as that would be awesome in sharp desert rock.

Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    Haven't been a big Schwalbe guy in the past, but if I end up sticking with little wheels next year, my next rear tire will be the new Rock Razor. Got to test ride the 650b version at Ibike. Maybe that is why the Genius LT rode so nice The little center knobs roll fast and seemed a bit tougher than the tiny BBG fins that ripped off too easy under hard braking. Not quite as locked in corners as the BBG when new, but pretty dang good.

Love that they are making a super gravity version as that would be awesome in sharp desert rock.
    Based on current options, I'm leaning toward either the Razor Rock or the Mavic Roam XL next summer. The Butcher SX will probably stay on in front.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    oh I forgot, you're "sponsored by" a shit ski company, so you're an "adult." jesus, how did I miss that?

and stuckie, who rides 10x/year, with each ride being drive-to-the-trailhead and 1 hr pedaling time once begun, he's an "adult" in the MTB world too.

my how TGR has grown up. if you're a badass who loves himself online (like you! like stuckie!) then you're the "adult" in the e-room.

dig. with a steam shovel.

dug.

look! he knows how to regurgitate what woo says.

dude, you ride like a fucking late-stage Parkinson's patient. you nearly died of overexertion on the flat pavement ride between your house and the snake trailhead, and I was barely loping along. shut your fucking yap. the problem isn't the type of rear tire you run. it's not the gearing on your crank, nor on your cassette. it's that you imagine yourself a badass expert, when you're a fucking novice hack.

seriously, just stick an old sock in your yapper.
    Point proven better then I could!

Btw Love to know who I'm 'sponsored' by! I'm a part time. rep for a company but Have never been sponsored or claimed too. (or cared).
    Last edited by Gripen; 11-17-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

I'd like to know if anyone is getting more than a few months out of Nobby Nics on the rear. Damn, I've never seen a tire wear that quickly. I've never seen a tire wear half that quickly.

What direction are people running their Ardents in the rear? I've got one running this way > > > > so that the climbing traction and cornering is better. Possibly slower this way? I know some folks run them the other way with the idea that straight braking will be better, but that's not my primary concern with a rear tire.

it would have to be slower. your going against the ramps how much slow I do not know.

i have no idea why corner traction would be better.....

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I'd like to know if anyone is getting more than a few months out of Nobby Nics on the rear. Damn, I've never seen a tire wear that quickly. I've never seen a tire wear half that quickly.
    have a pair of nn 29 at the shop. mainly ordered them in for the packaging and name to attract the regulars to the wall. may try them if they don't move.

the stock super cheap wire bead maxxis ikon are still hanging tough with great roll/traction on my 13' unit

rog

Pre TL ready gen, no, the Evo took about 2 seconds before knobs started breaking.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    i have no idea why corner traction would be better.....
    heh heh. I don't either. Just came up with that after staring at it for a while. I could be wrong, hence my inquiry.

Finstah Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Honestly, I'm psyched if I get a couple months out of a rear tire. But yeah, most Schwalbe`s wear out and/or chunk super quickly.

Bump for a new season of hammering on tires.
    On my Chilcotin I've been trashing an old Panaracer CG AM that I got after really liking the XC version I put on my 29er HT. Unfortunately, the Pana tires seem to be the most easily punctured tire I've ever seen. Retired the rear somewhat quickly. Stuck with the front for a good while, but I've put no fewer than 5 patches inside it both between the knobs and on the sidewall that Stans/Caffelatex wouldn't seal.
    I put a 2.25 Ardent on the back and it seemd to hold up alright until I sliced a hole in it right between a couple of treads big enough to put a flathead screwdriver through. Limping along with a patch right now but needs to find it's way to the shit can.
    Put a pair of Butcher Controls on my wife's rig and they seemed to be holding up super well. Then last night she sliced the shit out of a sidewall on the rear tire. I'm getting really tired of sticking tubes into my tires. Wondering if moving up to the GRID layup will hold up significantly better.

Debating whether to move to Butcher GRID for my own rig or try out one of the DHF/DHR/DHRII combos. Honestly, I can't figure out all the different combinations of tires maxxis has. That alone will probably keep me away.

I don't really care too much about "faster rolling". That said, I'm not really digging the prospect of riding 900+ gram tires.