Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    What about giving a tire with good cornering knobs a haircut in the middle?
    Done it frequently

Use a smaller variation of these.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dwht70801.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	142494
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    I don't think I've seen any blow-off issues with Flows or EXs and Maxxis. Weird. I've seen probably a hundred bikes set up like that this summer in my stand. No talk of it around the shop either. The FlowEX is our go-to rim for builds. I've got one on my front wheel and have run the DHF Exo and DHR2 TR all summer, no issues.
    I must need to work on my hella NorCal shred turns.
    Tubeless?

You know those scars that grind enough skin off to leave permanent discoloration? I have one on each cheek from dirt jumping face plants. Pretty sure that's what a buddy of mine is going to have going on after his brand new maxxis tire blew off his brand new flow rim. And that was the third one I'd seen.

There was nothing hella norcal about it. Just a mildly fast turn with a drifty stuffer thing into a banked berm.

I'm not positive it was an ex, and have no idea what he had going on tapewise, but that's a bead issue. And from what I saw recently moving tires from a flow ex rim to a mavic ust one, there's no way in hell I'd trust those things for any length of time tubless with a maxxis tire. I basically sneezed and the specialized tire went on the stans rim. I had to use manthumb mode to get that same tire onto my mavic rim. Maxxis exo TRs are even more looserererer.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Tubeless?

You know those scars that grind enough skin off to leave permanent discoloration? I have one on each cheek from dirt jumping face plants. Pretty sure that's what a buddy of mine is going to have going on after his brand new maxxis tire blew off his brand new flow rim. And that was the third one I'd seen.

There was nothing hella norcal about it. Just a mildly fast turn with a drifty stuffer thing into a banked berm.

I'm not positive it was an ex, and have no idea what he had going on tapewise, but that's a bead issue. And from what I saw recently moving tires from a flow ex rim to a mavic ust one, there's no way in hell I'd trust those things for any length of time tubless with a maxxis tire. I basically sneezed and the specialized tire went on the stans rim. I had to use manthumb mode to get that same tire onto my mavic rim. Maxxis exo TRs are even more looserererer.
    Yup. Tubeless. Weird, man. I dunno. I think I have one layer of Gorilla tape.

Does the rim go out of true when it happens?

Quite happy with the Geax Gato 2.3. Rolls really, really well despite it's weight and bomb proof in the TNT version. Works much better for me than anything Schwalbe is doing but maybe I'm just riding not hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    I am happy with the 2.5 maxxis DHF minion EXO 3C up front. What do you guys think about the rear?
    I've also been happy with a 2.5 DHF EXO up front this year. I'm about to leave for my last ride on a Bronson in back, it's been pretty decent but I'm going to try something else. Because flowtron won't stop talking about how rad the crossmark LUST is I'm considering giving it another shot, though I didn't like how poorly it does on steep loose climbs last time I had one. Most likely option will be a DHR2 in back for next summer.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Yup. Tubeless. Weird, man. I dunno. I think I have one layer of Gorilla tape.

Does the rim go out of true when it happens?
    The tire definitely becomes useless. At least trying to go back on that rim.

Hadn't really thought about the rim deforming but if anything maybe the sidewalls flare out?

I'm scared of those things after seeing that though. Does stans consider those a UST rim?

Some other gripes:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...=1#post3672525

not even tubeless

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19...-hoops-261633/

huh. now granted I know I don't ride as fast/hard as kidwoo and his buddies. but i am not picking my way down trails or cruising corners.

I have been running Maxxis exo dhf and maxxis advantage/dhr2 on my stans Arch EX, tubeless with 2-3 oz of slime, with just an occassional burp. i have put alot of miles on this set up over the past 2 seasons.

the only time i had a tire completely rip off the rim was a maxxis dhf literally 'blowing' off an Mavic EX823. it was actually pretty funny, i was hitting a drop at the bottom of grafton mesa, 6ft probably. i landed, the tire blew off the rim on impact and created a mini explosion of red dust that completely covered me. the tire was hanging in breeze and completely blew off rim. sounded like a gun going off. we all had a good laugh.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

btw, ime, the wtb tires, although not light weight, do tend to roll well. they definitely have their weaknesses in certain conditions, but if rolling is your goal they are a good way to go. I have decent luck with weirwolf in rear, bronson in rear.

for descent oriented rear tire, the best I have tried in all conditions, particularly the loose, is the DHR2, in hardpack, the BBG.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post

the only time i had a tire completely rip off the rim was a maxxis dhf literally 'blowing' off an Mavic EX823.
    Was it an EXO tire?

Maybe those beads stretch too easily. I haven't even burped one on my mavic crossmax sx tubless rims but that's also not my dh bike. All I've done in punch holes in casings. I've been using maxxis dh tires tubeless on 823s since 823s have existed and the only thing I've done is puncture one when I had too little pressure for what I was riding.

Either way, those stans rims are definitely NOT a burly UST sidewall. I gave up trying to run tubeless on anything but that years ago. This is why. And that was long before stans made rims so there's nothing new about it. And it seems like it's only maxxis tires really.

yeah, it was an EXO that blew off the 823. I think that was just a total fluke. probably just landed a bit awkwardly.

more frustrating for me, is i have started puncturing the EXO's on a monthly basis. not sidewalls but right in between the treads. sucks. some tears up to 1/4" long.

Just here to say that I've blown lots of different tires off of a variety of Stan's rims. I'm currently trying a UST tire (WTB Vigilante) on a Flow EX. So far (2 rides) I have not been successful in peeling it off or burping it.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    The tire definitely becomes useless. At least trying to go back on that rim.

Hadn't really thought about the rim deforming but if anything maybe the sidewalls flare out?

I'm scared of those things after seeing that though. Does stans consider those a UST rim?

Some other gripes:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...=1#post3672525

not even tubeless

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19...-hoops-261633/
    Weird. I haven't had issues and haven't seen any at the shop, but now I'm all fucked up in my head. I'm sitting here, waiting for an explosion from my garage. Thanks, dick!

I don't deny that it's happening, but a bunch of those seem like big guys running waaaay too low of psi. The OP was 215 and running 26psi?!

Want to run tubeless for any length of time? Use a UST rim.

come on.........it's like 2005 never happened

You know this.

here's the bike world: mmmm stans, love stans nyom nyom nyom, can't get enough stans, so light, so cheap!

Here's me: why did your rotor just pull out of that hub? (true story, and the guy that did it posts here)

I ran Havens for a few years, then built up some wtb frequency TCS (UST rim). Those were cool until a bunch of spoke eyelets cracked, then I built a FlowEX in June. Pretty much 2.5 dhf exo the whole time, except a month or so with the dhr2 TR

It's crazy though, I have done horrible things to that wheel/tire combo this summer and not the slightest burp. Plenty of race pace weirdness and lots of eye watering, suspension squashing, g-force extreeeem berm annihilating on a local 'flow' trail, Dropout. Well if it ain't broke, I'm not gonna fix it...hopefully this does not apply to my face any time soon.

I wish Mavic would make a light, 32h, UST, modern width rim.

You and everyone else.

they've got that 21mm internal thing coming out, which is what my rims are. So you know.....by 2018 they'll have something 1mm wider.

In the meantime: good luck!

it's gonna happen today

just watch

Been running 2.5 DHF 3c EXO on Stans Flows for two years up front zero issues.

Ran same tire rim combo all this season and no problems.

The Flows have two wraps of the Stan's tape.

I did blow a 2.4 HRII EXO off a WTB Laser Disc rim on the rear, but I think the pressure was too low.

I ran Havens for a few years, then built up some wtb frequency TCS (UST rim). Those were cool until a bunch of spoke eyelets cracked, then I built a FlowEX in June. Pretty much 2.5 dhf exo the whole time, except a month or so with the dhr2 TR

It's crazy though, I have done horrible things to that wheel/tire combo this summer and not the slightest burp. Plenty of race pace weirdness and lots of eye watering, suspension squashing, g-force extreeeem berm annihilating on a local 'flow' trail, Dropout. Well if it ain't broke, I'm not gonna fix it...hopefully this does not apply to my face any time soon.

Rumor has it WTB has fixed that problem, no?

Mavic ust and maxxis = no burp no explosion. I can't comment on the stans since I haven't ridden them.

Back to the OPs original topic of fast rolling all mountain tires....

How much better does the bbg roll then a dhf?
    What casing and width do you run?
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

BBG rolls great IMO. But I have never run it in front to compare to DHF.

built up some wtb frequency TCS (UST rim). Those were cool until a bunch of spoke eyelets cracked,
    I just recently had the same thing happen. I called WTB and they sent me out a new pair.They say they they went to a new alloy which will make them stronger.
    We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

What to we think of the Mavic Roam XL tire? The side knobs look nice and obviously the closely spaced and short centre knobs will not do great in mud. They're in the 900 - 1000 g range, pretty spot-on for tubeless and it seems a few fast enduro guys have been making them work.

There's a front version as well, the Charge. Here's both pictured:

Paging kidwoo...
    Last edited by D(C); 10-17-2013 at 12:37 AM.

I've been digging the Speci Captain 2.2" UST for the rear on my TRc, and the Bontrager XR4 2.2 "tubeless ready" on the hardtail. Similar size and volumes.

Both with the XR4 2.35 "TR" up front. Both fast rolling, and have worked well for a while now. I'm liking them quite a bit for our rooty/rocky/loamy/leafy east coast stuff.
    Not sure if those'll fit the bill for where/how you ride though. Haven't had any issues with undue wear, knobs tearing off, ripping sidewalls or anything.

Bontrager supposedly has a beefed up casing version of the XR4 coming soon, for enderpo of course. Same 2.2 and 2.35 sizes.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

maxxis ikon with light tubes @ 22-24 psi. love the tires. fast and grip like crazy due to the fact that they are made out of rubber. no issues with tires blowing off of rim either

rog

Finstah Guest
    The new Mavic tires look and feel great in person.

They are made by Hutchinson, so tubeless compatibility is rock solid. However, if the compound they use is anything like Hutchinson's "Race Riposte," expect to see some serious wear and chunking after only 100 or so miles.

Will probably try a pair at some point next summer, but for now I have been super psyched on the new EXO TR offerings from Maxxis (HR2, DHR2, Ikon.)

Where the heck can I get a kenda bbg ust 2.1? Kenda doesn't officially distribute that tire to the USA.

pers
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB