Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Full Size Pickup vs. Diesel SUV

Time to replace my seven year old Xterra and I'm struggling with what to do next. I won't make you help me pick the specific model (that's for the next thread), but should I get a full size pickup (Ram 1500, Sierra 1500, Tundra) or go with a larger diesel SUV (VW Touareg, Grand Cherokee)?

Whatever I get, it will be on the nicer end of the spectrum as I need to visit clients on a semi-regular basis and, as shallow as it sounds, it helps to roll up in a decently nice vehicle. I'm leaning towards the truck simply because I like the idea of the versatility of having a bed and not having to put skis, camping/fishing gear, firewood, etc. inside a nice SUV. At the same time, the SUV would probably be more versatile when it comes to driving around town and fighting the soccer moms in the local grocery store parking lot.

The gas mileage improvement of the diesel isn't a huge factor as the engine itself is an upcharge and with diesel more expensive than 85, it would take quite a few years to break even. The main reason I'm considering the diesel is for it's ability to tow and passing power on the highway. Currently towing two sleds on a regular tilt trailer, but plan to move to a enclosed trailer here in the near future.

So what'll it be?
    go upside down.

PM icelanticskier....he's our local truck expert around here and rog always has great advice.

Have you considered a Honda CR-V?
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Hugh Conway Guest
    you don't list anything that requires a pickup. but, i have it on high internet -cred authority that I don't understand what pickups are for.

Getting in first with the Subaru suggestion.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Srsly though it sounds like you'd rarely use the pickup bed in the way Allah intended, so get the SUV with full leather and buy a trailer for your annual wood gathering.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    Have you considered a Honda CR-V?
    It's been a while since I've been on the boards so I'm not 100% confident in my sarcasm meter's calibration, but I'll bite. CRV wouldn't get the job done from in terms of interior space or towing.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Srsly though it sounds like you'd rarely use the pickup bed in the way Allah intended, so get the SUV with full leather and buy a trailer for your annual wood gathering.
    Fair enough. Just don't like the idea of taking a nice car and jamming four pairs of skis and various other gear into it on a weekly basis. My current car's interior/headliner shows what can happen when you do that.

I understand the sentiment of don't get a pickup unless you're really hauling large stuff on a daily basis, but I gotta believe they can still be really convenient when it comes to doing the types of stuff we all do on the weekends (or weekdays if you're one of the lucky). From a consumption standpoint, they're really not all that impractical anymore either returning similar combined fuel economy to what I get in my Xterra.
    Last edited by RonMexico; 10-09-2013 at 11:36 PM.
    go upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico View Post

Currently towing two sleds on a regular tilt trailer, but plan to move to a enclosed trailer here in the near future.

So what'll it be?

Get a crew cab truck so you can take out clients and tow what ever you need to

Do the math before you buy a diesel with the price of fuel and all

and don't be a cheap metro sexual ... buy the fucking snowtires
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

PM Rontele; I'm actually serious.

It's been a while since I've been on the boards so I'm not 100% confident in my sarcasm meter's calibration, but I'll bite. CRV wouldn't get the job done from in terms of interior space or towing.
    Your intuition is correct: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-transmissions (see icelanticskier's posts)

Fair enough. Just don't like the idea of taking a nice car and jamming four pairs of skis and various other gear into it on a weekly basis. My current car's interior/headliner shows what can happen when you do that.

I understand the sentiment of don't get a pickup unless you're really hauling large stuff on a daily basis, but I gotta believe they can still be real convenient when it comes to doing the types of stuff we all do on the weekends (or weekdays if you're one of the lucky). From a consumption standpoint, they're really not all that impractical anymore either returning similar combined fuel economy to what I get in my Xterra.
    Check the pretty leather in photo #6:
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/vehi...l-4runner.html

I'd be looking at that and the F-150 with the Ecoboost for the power at altitude w/o going diesel (albeit at a higher PP than the standard V8). The GC with the air suspension and 3.0 diesel is sick too, but it sounds like you'd be better with the pickup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I deal with dickhead sled necks with their half ton (1500) pickups/SUV towing sled trailers and their headlights pointing way up and blinding the shit out of oncoming traffic.

You say you are planning to get an enclosed sled trailer. Do the right thing for oncoming traffic and get a three quarter ton 2500 crew cab loaded up with leather.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I hate these gargantun american pickups they've been making in the last 5 years or so. The fenders of the damn things have just gotten ridiculously huge...but on the SAME chassis as their slimmer predecessors....with the same bed size. What is the gain in this movement?? Pushing a larger volume of outside dimension through the ait just decreases fuel efficiency with ZERO additional gain except to be looking like you're driving a HUGE truck. It is stupid. Same size on the inside...fatter on the outside?? Is it some subconscious effort on the part of the truck manufacturers to have the outer dimensions of the truck emulate those of their oft rotund owners??

Passenger cars are getting smaller on the outside...a more efficient air shape...but trucks are getting larger but not where it counts (bed and interior)??? WTF????

But for your purposes described above....camping gear...skis...etc etc and TOWING and not wanting to dirty up the insides...a pick-up makes more sense. Of the full-sized truck xxx you'd mentioned...I'd go with a Toyota Tundra...not sure if they have the same reliability as a Tacoma but wouldn't see why not.

Another option if you want to be seen rolling up in something with automatic prestige value is a newish Range Rover...not the sport model, though. But a regular rangie from say 2009 - 2012. A black one of course. Not ALL of them are selling for $130, 000....those are the upmarket versions....there ARE some deals out there!!
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

or go with a larger diesel SUV (VW Touareg, Grand Cherokee)?
    Touareg TDI is a great car, but make sure you can fit the stuff you want to carry. Even with the seats folded down, the cargo area is surprisingly short.

jgb@etree Guest
    No one has mentioned an imported Euro spec TDI allroad yet?

Tsk, tsk....

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    I hate these gargantun american pickups they've been making in the last 5 years or so. The fenders of the damn things have just gotten ridiculously huge...but on the SAME chassis as their slimmer predecessors....with the same bed size. What is the gain in this movement?? Pushing a larger volume of outside dimension through the ait just decreases fuel efficiency with ZERO additional gain except to be looking like you're driving a HUGE truck. It is stupid. Same size on the inside...fatter on the outside?? Is it some subconscious effort on the part of the truck manufacturers to have the outer dimensions of the truck emulate those of their oft rotund owners??

Passenger cars are getting smaller on the outside...a more efficient air shape...but trucks are getting larger but not where it counts (bed and interior)??? WTF????

But for your purposes described above....camping gear...skis...etc etc and TOWING and not wanting to dirty up the insides...a pick-up makes more sense. Of the full-sized truck xxx you'd mentioned...I'd go with a Toyota Tundra...not sure if they have the same reliability as a Tacoma but wouldn't see why not.

Another option if you want to be seen rolling up in something with automatic prestige value is a newish Range Rover...not the sport model, though. But a regular rangie from say 2009 - 2012. A black one of course. Not ALL of them are selling for $130, 000....those are the upmarket versions....there ARE some deals out there!!
    AKR Drives an el camino
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I deal with dickhead sled necks with their half ton (1500) pickups/SUV towing sled trailers and their headlights pointing way up and blinding the shit out of oncoming traffic.

You say you are planning to get an enclosed sled trailer. Do the right thing for oncoming traffic and get a three quarter ton 2500 crew cab loaded up with leather.
    Or those crimefighters could do everyone a favor and get a correct drop height on their tow ball since nearly all of them feel compelled to jack those trucks to the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by chatton18 View Post
    AKR Drives an el camino
    I wish!!!

"The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

I don't care what vehicle you get, but I cram lots of bike, ski, fishing, work crap in my BMW every day, (and my wife's Golf R), and so what if it gets dirty or the headliner gets a scuff or whatever. What does it matter?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Diesel 3/4 ton pick up.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

So you want a grocery getter that will haul an enclosed? Will a half ton comfortable pull a high end 2place aluminum enclosed? If not you'll either need to go clam shell on the trailer or get a 3/4 ton which is a lot of money for something that will be overkill and drive like shit most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Will a half ton comfortable pull a high end 2place aluminum enclosed?
    I've got to imagine it would be able to. Tow capacity is over 10,000 pounds on the Ram. But could the diesel SUV?

Do any of you actually drive a 1/2 ton on a daily basis? Is it as big of a pain in the ass as I imagine it would be?
    Last edited by RonMexico; 10-10-2013 at 12:54 PM.

But could the diesel SUV?
    Any of the full sized ones could easily. Trailers are around 2000lbs and sleds run 500/ea. Even a Q5 TDI has a 4400lbs rating.

I'm in the same boat as you, but I also tow a Nautique all summer. Currently drive a 2004 Lexus GX470.

Last winter, diesel in Chicago was 10% less than RUG. So I started looking at diesels, but now it's 10% more.

I drove all the European diesel SUV's. Lot's of really nice vehicles, but options add a ton and maintenance is the killer.

Jeep's delayed diesel is suppose to begin arriving in dealerships this month. Cheapest one is going to run $50k out the door. It's a nice looking vehicle, but it's still a Chrysler and none of the mechanics will know how to work on that engine.

I'll probably end up in a Lexus/Toyota again, just because they're so dam reliable.

go the pickup route with a topper. So much better just putting everything back there. Especially if you have a dog and they like to get wet/muddy, hauling wood, etc. I love my 2500 diesel. Drving big pickups is fine once you get used to it. Just don't expect or try to squeeze it into tight spaces. Just park farther away and walk. I hate hunting for spots to save walking 20 spaces anyway.

Toss a cargo box on the roof of a SUV and put skis/camping gear up there, buy a trailer for hauling wood. Trucks are nice but unless you are hauling wood or tools or other messy gear everyday you probably don't need one. The only reason I still drive a truck is for hauling my dogs and fishing gear around.

You could get the worst of both world and buy a Honda Ridgeline. It's a small SUV with a toybox that is too small to haul much more than a couple bikes or some skis.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Do any of you actually drive a 1/2 ton on a daily basis? Is it as big of a pain in the ass as I imagine it would be?
    I'm sure everybody has their own pain in the ass threshold. I drove a diesel Silverado 2500 for a few years. I loved it for hauling stuff and towing stuff, and I miss having a tailgate to sit on, but as a daily driver I did not like it.