Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    the most disturbing thing about the incident is that the guy didn't think to and try to just cut high right off of the slab. he just skied right down into the thick of it following it until he tried to out run it. helmets and gogs cut down on peripheral vision which cuts down on awareness of yer surroundings. full clear cut awareness of what's happening around you is paramount. helps to hear and see clearly.

great another video that will sensationalize air bags and make way too many people think that they can just pull cord when they fuck up.

rog
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Stupid post. What about the exposure right? He knew his route if he needed to fall, he was much more successful than you give him credit for. Nice armchair and highhorse wrapped up into one douchebag post.
    what about the exposure right?

and who's not armchairing?

rog
    I am just talking from the evidence. You are the only one doing the skiing for the guy and being a douchebag too.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Stupid post. What about the exposure right? He knew his route if he needed to fall, he was much more successful than you give him credit for. Nice armchair and highhorse wrapped up into one douchebag post.
    You gotta understand the jedi knight bullshit e-persona that rog's adopted and repeats ad nauseam ....even now about trucks.
    Don't wear a helmet as it will make you reckless.
    Don't fall when you ski.
    Don't wear goggles as it will cut down on your vision.
    Don't wear air bags as it will make you reckless.
    Ski lightly.
    etc.
    etc.
    And his latest.
    Don't use snow tires in the snow...it will make you a bad driver.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

I am just talking from the evidence. You are the only one doing the skiing for the guy and being a douchebag too.
    cuntboy, it's a TR. TR's are open for discussion. watch vid again and at around 30 seconds there is clearly room for him to ski right (he was headed that way) onto the bed surface where he then coulda stopped safely and watched the avy slip away from him. you are such a butthurt lil cuntboy.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    You gotta understand the jedi knight bullshit e-persona that rog's adopted and repeats ad nauseam ....even now about trucks.
    Don't wear a helmet as it will make you reckless.
    Don't fall when you ski.
    Don't wear goggles as it will cut down on your vision.
    Don't wear air bags as it will make you reckless.
    Ski lightly.
    etc.
    etc.
    And his latest.
    Don't use snow tires in the snow...it will make you a bad driver.
    hey, but you just keep on coming back scotty. you love it. you love rog. or you wouldn't devote so much time to him. fucking followers......

rog

hey, but you just keep on coming back scotty. you love it. you love rog. or you wouldn't devote so much time to him. fucking followers......

rog
    You're right... I agree with a lot you have to say ..but sometimes you just take your studied contrariness a bit too far ( and I know contrarian!) and it becomes predictable and your message is lost and diminished as a result.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Movie is kinda weird, but I guess the filming for a commercial or something makes sense. What strikes me is that for a publicity video for ABS one of their athletes setting off a bigass slide seems to suggest that they're leaning more towards the idea that you don't need to be safe when you have the gadgets. Now obviously shit happens, and avalanches happen even if a guy takes all the precautions, but that was a BIG slab, maybe they shouldn't have skied that slope that day? Not trying to armchair QB it, obviously I didn't see the pit and know nothing about that particular snowpack, just food for thought.

In my opinion the ski industry with products like ABS and Avalung are going for a "don't worry as much, we got your back" instead of stressing that while the products save lives and are great investments they're no replacement for training and common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    You're right... I agree with a lot you have to say ..but sometimes you just take your studied contrariness a bit too far ( and I know contrarian!) and it becomes predictable and your message is lost and diminished as a result.
    so we good?

rog

This thread is becoming epic fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Charmander View Post
    In my opinion the ski industry with products like ABS and Avalung are going for a "don't worry as much, we got your back" instead of stressing that while the products save lives and are great investments they're no replacement for training and common sense.
    On point.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Airbags not going to help that much if he ended up in hudge fucking terrain trap at the bottom.

I think the conspiracy has already been debunked, but just to add that the heli is for filming not rescue. There is no winch and you see on the gopro the camera man is strapped in.

Pressure of the commercial shoot I guess, but I really don't know why would you go on a slope like that after a week of snow, 12 feet of new and level 4 or 5 conditions. Not sure when it was this season, the Pyrennes had a few big snow events like this this year, but every time they did it took a long time for things to settle.

I also don't understand trying to point it. He's at the top of the slope, that's where I'd want to stay. Go left or right or stop right there, watchever. Sure you might get taken out, but rather be taken out with 50m of slope above you than 300m.

Quote Originally Posted by Incompetent Boob View Post
    but I really don't know why would you go on a slope like that after a week of snow, 12 feet of new and level 4 or 5 conditions.
    Agree. Just from a basic perspective, without even being complicated...

Terrain = Steep+, unsupported, unanchored, terrain trap (cliff)

Snow = recent loading+, Considerable or higher danger. Some warming. And my gut says recent avalanches and signs of instability would have been visible, but that is just a guess.

And even simpler... first blue bird after a big storm.

I think that is the second clip recently of a pro-skier near miss that roughly fits this description.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by Incompetent Boob View Post
    I think the conspiracy has already been debunked, but just to add that the heli is for filming not rescue. There is no winch and you see on the gopro the camera man is strapped in.

Pressure of the commercial shoot I guess, but I really don't know why would you go on a slope like that after a week of snow, 12 feet of new and level 4 or 5 conditions. Not sure when it was this season, the Pyrennes had a few big snow events like this this year, but every time they did it took a long time for things to settle.

I also don't understand trying to point it. He's at the top of the slope, that's where I'd want to stay. Go left or right or stop right there, watchever. Sure you might get taken out, but rather be taken out with 50m of slope above you than 300m.
    This.
    It has been an insane snow year in the Pyrénées. Huge accumulations, warm weather : very very unstable conditions. On the western part of the range resorts have even been completely shut down for several days. (Though I think this has been shot in Val d'Aran, on the south east side).
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

lil cunt boy is gonna have his work cut out for him today............

rog

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Agree. Just from a basic perspective, without even being complicated...

Terrain = Steep+, unsupported, unanchored, terrain trap (cliff)

Snow = recent loading+, Considerable or higher danger. Some warming. And my gut says recent avalanches and signs of instability would have been visible, but that is just a guess.

And even simpler... first blue bird after a big storm.

I think that is the second clip recently of a pro-skier near miss that roughly fits this description.
    Also if you take a look at the final advert it clearly wasn't the only slide he triggered and tried to ski out of that day:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s3q1dNP1c0

Quote Originally Posted by SCOmeh View Post
    Also if you take a look at the final advert it clearly wasn't the only slide he triggered and tried to ski out of that day:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s3q1dNP1c0
    darn toot'n. oh the bag............

and advertising for a grocery gettah grocery gettah's ftw!

rog

Funny thing is that in the explanation video he says that he lost his googles.
    Right at the point where you can see them on his head.
    See 1:49
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L2NE-TQQFtA#

FWIW : I think it is a really dumb video.
    Sounds like 12 days of heavy snow, 1 foot over night, first blue sky day & obvious wind loading in the first sequence.
    But the "freerider" pulled the trigger and everything was OK....
    Is this really the message ABS should be sending out to 20 year old kids ?

It's a great marketing tool. It shows that even the pros can screw up and this time, when one did, he is likely alive due to his equipment.

It's always going to be a fine line with this type of thing. Anything that makes a bad situation safer will encourage some to push the limit. Those guys were probably going to push it sooner or later anyway though.

By what other method can they send the message that these things are worth over $1,000 plus the added weight penalty on the way up. Videos like this drive that message home, the bag helps save your ass when you get stupid.

^ I agree, we all can make mistakes. However that video glorifies an obvious error. Basically send out the message that if you drop into a wind loaded face and it avalanches then you just pull the trigger and it will be ok.

ABS make great kit, and airbags can save lives. However i find their "97% survival rate statistic" used in their advertising very dubious. Arguably immoral.
    More so when they make slick adverts such as that with similar messages.....

One last rant : the guy in the video is clearly not a "professional/pro". He is a 24 year old kid who got lucky....

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    By what other method can they send the message that these things are worth over $1,000 plus the added weight penalty on the way up. Videos like this drive that message home, the bag helps save your ass when you get stupid.
    I agree that they drive A message. Not sure if it is the message that most people concerned about avalanche safety want to drive.

I rarely agree with Rog and it is difficult to tell if going right (as suggested) would have led to a better outcome, but in this case and in most, trying to outrun a slide when it breaks that close above you and then below you seems to me to be the least good of all options.

This video may sell more air bags and it also may lead to more people "getting stupid".

I will stick to terrain selection and risk mitigation.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    The youtube description seems to indicate only one film helicopter? ("the helicopter")

Also, the dude that gets out to help him doesn't have a shovel (which means he didn't need one to get him out...), and yet the buried guy hasn't even tried to move in probably at least 5 mins and yet has both arms free? I sure as shit would have at least started getting snow off of me and be checking myself over. I dunno, just wierd.

Also interesting that he doesn't even TRY to trigger the airbag and instead tries to outrun it. Shows the importance of training and practice using the bag in the heat of the moment. Reminds me of the clusterfucks that occur when someone is buried in an avalanche in real life. Lots of people end up running around like chickens with their heads cut off unless someone really takes charge and settles people into their roles. Scenario training/practicing might be important for effectively using airbags as well.

I wonder if POC will come out with tinfoil helmets next year.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Skier View Post
    Funny thing is that in the explanation video he says that he lost his googles.
    yet another rookie error..... skiing in Goggles.

Hey Rog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I will stick to thread selection and post mitigation.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Skier View Post
    One last rant : the guy in the video is clearly not a "professional/pro". He is a 24 year old kid who got lucky....
    Sooo true. The interview was pretty telling of what was going on that day.