Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

ABS's latest marketing video - anyone else think something is odd about this?

When did he deploy the airbag? He certainly didn't deploy it before or while tomahawking. Not saying they don't save lives (I own one), but the aftermath looks almost staged to me - like they inflated the airbag after the avalanche. The film helicopter waiting in the air while the rescue helicopter comes in? Why didn't the film helicopter land to check on their skier, and why was the rescue helicopter even called in the first place? I'm assuming the yellow helicopter was rescue? Or were there two film helicopters - that doesn't make sense to me? Lots of questions and wierdness surrounding this one...

Anyone else think it's a bit odd, or am I not interpreting the footage correctly?

I think you might be over thinking it.

PM Rog.....?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

i contemplated this as a "staged" event at first until i thought about how utterly stupid one would have to be to put themselves into that situation PURPOSELY. Lots of room in that slide for real damage...rocks, sharks, cliffs, smallish choke in there....plus how could you ever 100% be positive it would slide? Guess that doesnt matter if they are filming. I seem to recall there was somem background on the shoot..there was a film crew on scene for a move or whatnot...

I think its real..i think you dont see the airbag inflation due to the snow cloud.

Oh, I wasn't saying the slide looked staged - I agree, a really fucking bad idea if it was. I said the aftermath looked staged.

The Canadian Avalanche Association re-posted the video on my facebook feed with the explanation that it happened while filming for a car commercial, hence the the weirdness and the two helicopters being in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Oh, I wasn't saying the slide looked staged - I agree, a really fucking bad idea if it was. I said the aftermath looked staged.
    agreed was kinda odd.

Brian, let us know the answer if they answer your statement on youtube.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
    The Canadian Avalanche Association re-posted the video on my facebook feed with the explanation that it happened while filming for a car commercial, hence the the weirdness and the two helicopters being in the area.
    The youtube description seems to indicate only one film helicopter? ("the helicopter")

Also, the dude that gets out to help him doesn't have a shovel (which means he didn't need one to get him out...), and yet the buried guy hasn't even tried to move in probably at least 5 mins and yet has both arms free? I sure as shit would have at least started getting snow off of me and be checking myself over. I dunno, just wierd.

Also interesting that he doesn't even TRY to trigger the airbag and instead tries to outrun it. Shows the importance of training and practice using the bag in the heat of the moment. Reminds me of the clusterfucks that occur when someone is buried in an avalanche in real life. Lots of people end up running around like chickens with their heads cut off unless someone really takes charge and settles people into their roles. Scenario training/practicing might be important for effectively using airbags as well.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 10-09-2013 at 12:57 PM.

It's very heavily edited, maybe because the crew, filming for a car commercial, wasn't really thinking about how best to document the function of an airbag. But ABS jumped on it and made a nifty marketing video anyway. It certainly wasn't a "how-to" vid.

Got to love the music, real 'throne room of the mountain gods' stuff.

There's just one heli in that video. I think you're confusing a wide shot on an opposing ridge with a 2nd heli. The tomahawk shot and the shots of the heli landing are probably both from the same camera. As for the rest of the stuff...who knows, dude thought he could outrun it and then probably pulled in the middle of his tomahawk while engulfed with snow so the cameras didn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by benfjord View Post
    dude thought he could outrun it and then probably pulled in the middle of his tomahawk while engulfed with snow so the cameras didn't get it.
    This. he probably didn't want to pull it when he had a chance to outrun it, then was struggling for it when he was tomahawking.
    As for not trying to dig himself out, maybe the heli got there so fast he was still composing himself? Maybe he thought "hey, this will look good for ABS" but I kind of doubt that would be someone's first thought after surviving a huge avy like that.
    there were no tracks at all around him when they were landing, so there was no way the aftermath could have been staged.
    just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by benfjord View Post
    There's just one heli in that video. I think you're confusing a wide shot on an opposing ridge with a 2nd heli. The tomahawk shot and the shots of the heli landing are probably both from the same camera. As for the rest of the stuff...who knows, dude thought he could outrun it and then probably pulled in the middle of his tomahawk while engulfed with snow so the cameras didn't get it.
    That makes sense. Thanks. I was hoping there was a good explaination for all the wierdness I felt when watching it. All those cuts and other random crap really threw me off.

It was the guy on the grassy knoll just out of the picture.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

The avi debris around him was undisturbed and it looked like he ended up half buried with the ABS inflated. Regardless of the chain of events leading up to it, the end result did not look staged.
    Gravity Junkie

And he didn't even lose his Gopro.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Airbag or not, I'd definitely be trying to stay on my feet and ski out of it somehow. That seems like a pretty good rational thought, then pull as soon as you're sure you're caught.

A bunch of that snow on him at the end could be rotor wash, too.

My vote is real. I also vote the the music is dumb. But that's another question all-together.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    PM Rog.....?
    the skier shouldn't have been using snow tires?

that was a big slab.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Had he gotten in front of it he would have had one hell of a straight line in front of him to stay in front of it. Lucky to be alive.

so wotz with you gaye skies tapping your poles together at the top of a run eh?

he had a good go at out running it, but he did make a turn on a moving slab that cost him valuable time

almost ever time I've had to deal with a avy victim or crash victim they are not responding to people calling out to them and seem oblibious to other in the group, they need to come back to reality in their own time. call it shock or wot ever it is a common theme for the rescuers to deal with.

now when one of the so called "rescuers" gets histerical or panics, thats when I get pissed off. buddy will come back in his own time. deal with it, can;t change the past, but having to deal with this kind of person really shits me the fark off!
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Wrong premise can make for a good publicity thread for ABS.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

the most disturbing thing about the incident is that the guy didn't think to and try to just cut high right off of the slab. he just skied right down into the thick of it following it until he tried to out run it. helmets and gogs cut down on peripheral vision which cuts down on awareness of yer surroundings. full clear cut awareness of what's happening around you is paramount. helps to hear and see clearly.

great another video that will sensationalize air bags and make way too many people think that they can just pull cord when they fuck up.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    the most disturbing thing about the incident is that the guy didn't think to and try to just cut high right off of the slab. he just skied right down into the thick of it following it until he tried to out run it. helmets and gogs cut down on peripheral vision which cuts down on awareness of yer surroundings. full clear cut awareness of what's happening around you is paramount. helps to hear and see clearly.

great another video that will sensationalize air bags and make way too many people think that they can just pull cord when they fuck up.

rog
    Stupid post. What about the exposure right? He knew his route if he needed to fall, he was much more successful than you give him credit for. Nice armchair and highhorse wrapped up into one douchebag post.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Stupid post. What about the exposure right? He knew his route if he needed to fall, he was much more successful than you give him credit for. Nice armchair and highhorse wrapped up into one douchebag post.
    what about the exposure right?

and who's not armchairing?

rog