Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Seatbelts don't make me drive recklessly.

A climbing rope and gear didn't make me climb recklessly.

Wearing a bike helmet doesn't make me a reckless rider.

The rudimentary snow science I learned in Avie I made me a more conservative backcountry skier.

I have skied with a friend (from the East Coast,but whatevs) who thought that the airbag made him safer, but I was not persuaded.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    yet another rookie error..... skiing in Goggles.
    worse, losing them. if yer gonna get rag dolled in an avy for the camera at least be good enough to keep all yer stuff with you.

poor form right there. he should bill abs for the lost gear

rog

Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    The rudimentary snow science I learned in Avie I made me a more conservative backcountry skier.
    maybe a bit scared too^^^^^^

stay away from avy level 2. it'll kill ya

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    the most disturbing thing about the incident is that the guy didn't think to and try to just cut high right off of the slab. he just skied right down into the thick of it following it until he tried to out run it. helmets and gogs cut down on peripheral vision which cuts down on awareness of yer surroundings. full clear cut awareness of what's happening around you is paramount. helps to hear and see clearly.

great another video that will sensationalize air bags and make way too many people think that they can just pull cord when they fuck up.

rog
    this, hard right to the rocks when it broke...

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Skier View Post

One last rant : the guy in the video is clearly not a "professional/pro". He is a 24 year old kid who got lucky....

Professional: participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs

Presumably he was getting paid for the car commercial (I assume Ford given the sticker on his skis) and is now getting paid by ABS.

So he was a professional skier and is now a professional avalanche dummy. I understand it's a career choice with a limited life expectancy.

^ more likely ABS sent him a free pack and Ford paid for a helicopter ride. I very much doubt that being a skier paid this guys bills.

any professional skier (i.e a UIAGM / patroller etc) would have looked at the wind loading and said "screw that". for sure : we all make mistakes. but lets not glorify them or pretend that its a good idea to ski wind loaded slope because the airbag will save your @ss ?

He certainly didn't act professionally.

And for the publicity he's bringing ABS he better have been paid or he's and idiot.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Who know's of avalanches and avalanche terrain but doesn't know about ABS?

You guys can't all get the 500 points for the pro call out on this guy.

First come first served..... please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

^... extra bonus gnar points for calling out the armchair quarter backs.

speaking of calling out the armchair qb's, what happened to lil cunt boy? he crept away slowly switch to the road i guess.....

rog

Not as bad as the BCA video of the 'pro' snowboard girl from a few years back, but crap that was a huge slide.

I have to admit, I was really hoping the commercial was going to be for a Chevrolet Avalanche. The real crime against humanity: that horrible dubstep.
    I'll be the hyena, you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    Seatbelts don't make me drive recklessly.
    There are very few Human Factors driving to the shop v.s. skiing for powder on a weekend.

Most people grew up being driven, then driving, from a young age. They understand traffic and car accidents therefore act to avoid them at every decision. Few people can say the same about skiing in avalanche terrain.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by SCOmeh View Post
    Also if you take a look at the final advert it clearly wasn't the only slide he triggered and tried to ski out of that day:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s3q1dNP1c0
    Fuck the ABS questions, I want to know how he drove in ski boots.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    There are very few Human Factors driving to the shop v.s. skiing for powder on a weekend.

Most people grew up being driven, then driving, from a young age. They understand traffic and car accidents therefore act to avoid them at every decision. Few people can say the same about skiing in avalanche terrain.
    True enough. My point wasn't to compare driving to BC skiing, but to point out that equipment that mitigates risk doesn't always have the reality-obliterating consequences some times mentioned here.

In other words it is quite possible to assess risk independent of whatever type of equipment you have. Not everybody does this, but many people do.

Agree, there is a certain demographic who can use a tool well, and those who can't. Or don't know any better.

Regarding marketing of airbags using this video:

It was a bad terrain choice given the snow conditions and Human Factors on the day. I think the available data backs that up. It was not a case of "oh well, even the best get it wrong sometimes". It was playing roulette for a camera. It was not a case of "lucky he had one". It was a case of "he damned well needs one".

But what most high risk-taker weekend skiers/boarders looking for steep powder and internet acceptance will see is an airbag saving a "pro" and conclude that if even "pro" skiers can get it wrong, then they should buy an airbag. They will not see that it was quite likely a really bad decision to be there in the first place.

I think ABS should directly address that in their marketing, rather than leave it open to interpretation by only those with the training to do so.

Airbags are great last-resort disaster back-up tools which might* help you if everything goes wrong after having already made careful non-emotional decisions about where not to ride.

*of less help avoiding injury or death if you hit trees, go over a cliff or are pushed into a Terrain Trap. Or it doesn't inflate, like some end-of-season loungeroom trigger pullers have discovered. These things need ongoing maintenance and testing.
    Last edited by neck beard; 10-10-2013 at 04:39 PM.
    Life is not lift served.

It's a marketing video and not an avy education tool. You guys are smart enough to know the difference between the two, right?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by benfjord View Post
    It's a marketing video and not an avy education tool. You guys are smart enough to know the difference between the two, right?
    If you are smart and knowledgable enough to tell the difference, what the fucks the point of the marketing?

All this discussion and endless internet angst over airbags and how they affect decision making, avy education and marketing is fairly fucking useless anyway. As soon as the entry price drops and the new fan technology hits the ground, airbags are going to be as ubiquitous as beacons.

With the exception of rog of course who will still be skiing "light", goggle-less and skid free on the snowy roads leading to the TH.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

haha, your location has an avantlink in it.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    haha, your location has an avantlink in it.
    I know..it's so cool.......
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post

With the exception of rog of course who will still be skiing "light", goggle-less and skid free on the snowy roads leading to the TH.
    beacon/probe/shovel is how I roll. hold the lung and the bag.

rog

ya, but 40 yrs ago you would have been treating beacon technology as ABS now - And I can't say I disagree with that instinct. Agree with Scotsman that we are only a few years away from much larger and affordable selection. Me personally it would never affect my terrain choice, me 30 yrs ago - most def would
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    ya, but 40 yrs ago you would have been treating beacon technology as ABS now
    big difference between a beacon and a bag, jongroney.

to me a beacon is just a recovery device. mostly. i'm 2-0 so far. 2 dead, 0 alive.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    big difference between a beacon and a bag, jongroney.

to me a beacon is just a recovery device. mostly. i'm 2-0 so far. 2 dead, 0 alive.

rog
    Give it some time and people will realize these aren't 100% either. It may take a few hot shots perishing to drive the message home to some people though.

Sorry to hear of your losses.