Priceline.com 'Name Your Price' option

Has anyone had success with this option from Priceline.com? As an East Coaster, this seems like a fairly viable option if one can be flexible taking time from work and booking on a whim (2 days prior to departure) - especially if a predictable system is moving in. I saw that winning bids for flights from BOS to DEN averaged around $380 in January this year. I'd gladly pay 20% more on flights for guaranteed snow.

I use Better Bidding to help me bid for hotels on opaque sites, Priceline/Hotwire, all the time. I usually get at least 40% off rack.

I've never used it for flights, because I'm usually on a tight schedule and I already have an airline connection. But I'm sure it would work, especially if your flexible.

Here is betterbidding's rebid strategy for flights, pay particular attention to the 2nd post for unlimited rebids.
    http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=35993

I used it a couple of times with mixed success. Got a few bucks off, not much, but it added a couple levels of complexity and hassle, so hardly worth it.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Never used it for flights but doing it for hotels is awesome. Once stayed in Downtown Chicago/Mag Mile at the W over new years for $60/night.

I use Priceline bidding every time for car rentals. Works great. Lowball the rental reservation -- by a *lot* -- and you can get great deals.

I use it sometimes for hotels, but have gotten some crappy motels a few times. Best thing to do with hotels, IMHO, is stick with 3* rating and up.

I usually use Hotwire more for hotels. Significant difference for me is that Hotwire lets you specify that the room will sleep 4 guests; Priceline only guarantees that the room will sleep 2. That Better Bidding site can be helpful in narrowing down the mystery hotel, based on the guest amenities listed in the description.

I've never tried it for airplane flights.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I've also used it a few times for Rental cars with good success. I've had mixed results with Hotels, good enough rates but either bad location or subpar digs.
    I've tried it for Airfare to Asia where there's really no such thing as a good schedule and always got denied.
    For a ski trip, it's not worth saving a few $$$ IMO and getting a crappy flight itinerary where you have to leave to fly home at 6AM when you could've ski'd that day and just flown out late afternoon or evening.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

It worked well for a rental car. You have to pay in advance but we got a 8passenger mini van for 45$ per day in Seattle.

Every time I go on there to bid on getting Shatner to STFU, I can't find the option. WTF?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<