Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
    As far as Rainier goes I'm guessing Paradise or Sunrise. If I don't go climbing tomorrow I'll probably be making laps at Sunrise. PM me of you want to go.

Go check out the Capitol Hill Block Party. The line up is stellar this weekend if you're into music.

Re:sunrise, I went up there for the first time Friday a week ago as a tourist and where the skiing was wasn't obvious. Is it still skiable up there ?

from what i heard, sunrise has been dead for a few weeks.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    from what i heard, sunrise has been dead for a few weeks.
    Damn. Didn't end up checking it out today. Thanks for the info though.

Paradise glacier is always a safe bet. Less crowds than Muir. A few friends were up there this weekend and it was all over my Instagram. Looked fun to me!

The for the beta. Too bad I didn't check back earlier for capitol hill.

Pinnacle peak was full of snow a few years ago in august. Will try there and Paradise glacier

Where is all the snow? When I was here a few years ago in August there was uninterrupted snow less than 1/2 mile from Sunrise and Paradise. Pinnacle peak and area had snow off the road.

I scrambled pinnacle. Not fun with plastic soled boots but it had awesome snow towards castle peak.

I hiked around sunrise to the boroughs and down towards glacier basin. Barely any snow. Good thing I didn't take my skis with me. I guess the snow is up rainier past glacier basin?

In the end I decided to head up to muir. Not being a big fan of sun I headed up at 4AM. It was awesome. No one was around. Unfortunately the snow field was frozen solid. I waited for quite a while to warm up a bit and with lots of kick turns I was able to skin up. Should have brought my crampons... but this is all new to me. By the time I got up to muir the field was still quite frozen. A waited a while longer and by 11 I decided to head down. Big mistake. The field was super choppy. I guess I should have waited much longer. Here is where I could use a but of creative jonging. From what I gathered summer skiing is good after sunrise, but I guess since rainier is so big the field stays cold much latter in the day? What's a good way to estimate descent time?

I am heading to the north cascades next week. Any more beta?

Sweet blog
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Where is all the snow? When I was here a few years ago in August there was uninterrupted snow less than 1/2 mile from Sunrise and Paradise. Pinnacle peak and area had snow off the road.
    Have you looked at the weather the past month? It's been mostly in the 80's with a couple hits of 90's in the lowlands. That generally means 70's in the mountains, snow doesn't last long at those temps.

Follow the weather sites (NW Avalanche Center) and check out the trip reports at Turns All Year.com to keep a bead on things.

Spray Park goes

Donation for Mt Adams Webcam

I've enjoyed viewing this webcam previously:
    http://mtadams.tv/
    ... and now the owner is seeking donations for a replacement camera.
    The big bonus is that for a donation of $25 or more you receive a 2015 calendar with pictures of -- Mt Adams of course!
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Does anyone have an inside track on getting discounted lift tickets at Timberline for helping on my addiction (ski streak and living East can be expansive)? A trip to the PNW made some sense than flying south on a low snow year in the Andes.

Landed in Portland late on August 27.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Hood did not disappoint this weekend. Lots of familiar faces around the resort for closing day yesterday and even more in the bar the night before. The padded seats were well-represented

damn, i still reALLY want a high paying job in seatown

need to rip those hills with you posers...

aren't any of you maggots decision makers or shot callers? want to increase the value of your business and team? Hire me ASAP for instant liquid appreciation of all holdings

you're lucky i chose your region, so capitalize

PM me all offers
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Hood never disappoints for those summer time turns...Though Saturday was a tad foggy and soggy. Stoked to get my September day in for my 47 month.

Timberline lifties and Patrollers always friendly to Washington's finest monoskiers! See ya in October (unless it nukes here, then I'll break out the split)
    Custom hand made Monoskis in Washington. www.whiteknucklemonoskis.com
    All things related to Monoskiing www.monoski.net

Snow on the hill, I see from mid-sound
    Tis not long at all untill freshies abound

^^^^ Tis' true. I got to relish in it's glory today.

Anyone going to the TGR flick tonight at the Neptune? Late show for me and wifey.

Ahhh I wish I knew that was today. Oh well.

I'm gonna try to catch one of the powderwhore shows this weekend or during the week. Maybe the mountaineers one.

News of freezing levels dropping to 5k Wednesday night. Is it time for a 14/15 thread?

Any maggots hittin the Almost Ablaze show in Bham Wednesday?

IMO you get to start the new thread when you have gone skiing on some freshly fallen white stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Snow on the hill, I see from mid-sound
    Tis not long at all untill freshies abound
    Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    IMO you get to start the new thread when you have gone skiing on some freshly fallen white stuff.
    Or how about when the wx fx sez -- well, go check out fx for your favorite volcano now...
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Stevens

Crystal

Baker

Its about time! Hope this next front stays cold up high.

That looks like dream to me - better than Oct on least coast with only surf reports rolling in.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man