Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rossignol

Rossignol

Have a chance to ski any Rossi I want this season, so looking for input:

Me - 5'11", 190lbs, skiing for 44 years (shit!), Colorado native, currently live in Snowmass.

I've been on a 185 Wailer 95 pure for the past 3 years and love 'em.

Thoughts?

Squad or Super for deep days, and ride the Wailers the rest of the time.

Sickle is under-rated, but might be a bit short for your size.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using TGR Forums
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Finstah Guest
    As an everyday ski for Snowmass? That's a no-brainer; a 188cm Experience 98.

If you can get a second pair, pick up a Squad or Soul 7 for pow and you'll be all set.

Kinda diggin the Super for all around, but the Soul may be a better fit. Will either of these rail GS turns through thick and thin?

Couple other notes: I've never skied a rocker ski - I like power out of the tail in traditional camber skis, and have no problems with bigger skis in powder (remember I'm old and skied powder on Volkl Renntiger 207's).

Soul 7 hand flexed really stiff, but something tells me it's got that Rossi bounciness.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverdown View Post
    Kinda diggin the Super for all around, but the Soul may be a better fit. Will either of these rail GS turns through thick and thin?

Couple other notes: I've never skied a rocker ski - I like power out of the tail in traditional camber skis, and have no problems with bigger skis in powder (remember I'm old and skied powder on Volkl Renntiger 207's).
    Some have said the Soul feels closest to a W99. So unclear why a better fit; seems fairly redundant. I'd say Super for soft days. In a 188, should handle Aspen areas nicely. The new ones apparently have less obtrusive rocker than last year's. OTOH, if you're looking for GS turns, then the E98 is your ticket. Given your list of choices, maybe you need to decide which counts more, float in soft or maching.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    Some have said the Soul feels closest to a W99. So unclear why a better fit; seems fairly redundant. I'd say Super for soft days. In a 188, should handle Aspen areas nicely. The new ones apparently have less obtrusive rocker than last year's. OTOH, if you're looking for GS turns, then the E98 is your ticket. Given your list of choices, maybe you need to decide which counts more, float in soft or maching.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Soul is the hot new ski, but I don't see it doing anything much deferent than your Wailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Finstah View Post
    As an everyday ski for Snowmass? That's a no-brainer; a 188cm Experience 98.

If you can get a second pair, pick up a Squad or Soul 7 for pow and you'll be all set.
    This is exactly what I was thinking.

Makes a big difference if you are keeping the wailer or is the new ski going to be a one ski quiver?

The soul and the super are both really versatile. I'd say take yer pick depending on what most of your days look like. Both rail turns and perform well in deep snow.

I haven't skied the 2013/14 E88 or E98 but last years were comparatively heavy IMO....then again the whole line up was kinda heavy.

The squad probably isn't what you're looking for.

Never skied the DPS so I can't comment on a comparison...

Thanks for the input! You've all steered me towards the Super, with the Wailers as backup/hard/rock ski. Jesus, never thought I'd say that.

Finstah Guest
    Thanks for the input! You've all steered me towards the Super, with the Wailers as backup/hard/rock ski. Jesus, never thought I'd say that.
    The Super 7 will have a lot more street cred in the lift line, and be a really fun and playful ski when there is new snow. But, unless you are really happy with your Wailers performance in hard snow and you plan to ski them more than your Rossignols, you're kinda blowing it.

The right choice you have made.

Finstah Guest
    regct, just curious, have you spent much time skiing the Aspen areas?

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    This is exactly what I was thinking.
    I'm on board with this as well, especially considering you like power from the tail.
    Gravity. It's the law.

(remember I'm old and skied powder on Volkl Renntiger 207's).
    Yeah, but if you want ski like you're 20 years younger, get fatter boards with rocker. Instant young legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Finstah View Post
    regct, just curious, have you spent much time skiing the Aspen areas?
    Not really. Stick to the NW mostly...WA, BC, ID, MT.

Are you eluding to the firmness of an intercontinental snowpack at times?

Because I definitely believe the 98 would rip circles around any of the 7's on cold firm days. Not that the soul or the super wouldn't perform well in those conditions, just not as well as a GS'y type ski.

I'm just speaking to the versatility of the 7's.

Finstah Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    Not really. Stick to the NW mostly...WA, BC, ID, MT.

Are you eluding to the firmness of an intercontinental snowpack at times?

Because I definitely believe the 98 would rip circles around any of the 7's on cold firm days. Not that the soul or the super wouldn't perform well in those conditions, just not as well as a GS'y type ski.

I'm just speaking to the versatility of the 7's.
    Right on. I've got family there and get about 5-10 days there each winter. I spend way more time on my Mantras than I do my Katanas when I'm there. Usually my days there are planned well in advance so I'm not able to go at the drop of a hat when the weather is cycling.

Have a great winter.

If the Sup7 works all round, then it will be the goto, and the wailers will go tele for uphill to keep my girlish figure in shape. That would be perfect, as I'd sell the Dukes from those. 3 year old Dukes, anyone (assuming this all works).

If the Sup7 works all round, then it will be the goto, and the wailers will go tele for uphill to keep my girlish figure in shape. That would be perfect, as I'd sell the Dukes from those. 3 year old Dukes, anyone (assuming this all works).
    In that case Experience 98. Put the dukes on them and get a Dynafit boot/binding for the Wailers for your uphilling (or tele if you really must)
    I don't think the Super would be a good all around quiver of one for these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    In that case Experience 98. Put the dukes on them and get a Dynafit boot/binding for the Wailers for your uphilling (or tele if you really must)
    I don't think the Super would be a good all around quiver of one for these parts.

But then he doesn't have an inbounds pow charger...

Considering what you guys are saying about the snowmass area, I think if I were the OP id put an alpine binding or his duke on the Soul...little less underfoot than the super, medium stiff, excels in variable conditions but especially in soft snow, realistically almost as well as the super.

Soul won't perform as well on straight up ice as the 98 but still gets it done admirably and when it dumps you'll be really thankful for its tip and tail.

Again, I haven't skied the brand new exp's but wouldn't dukes on an E98 be pretty heavy?

I'm kind of going through something similar so there is some thinking out loud happening here...

My daily driver is the Super, with alpine bindings. Considering the CAST system for side country pickings...but that's another thread.

I honestly love the ski in almost every condition, except really firm off trail chunder which sucks on just about everything. Firm groomers are fine.

^^^^^yeah ignore my earlier post, upon further reflection I'd probably pick the soul over the experience too if I had to pick one Rossi ski.
    Still think the super is not nearly as versatile though

I live in basalt..Super is way too big for 75% of days in co..i would go soul, youll probably end up skiing that everyday. Wide is the new long for teh cool kids..

Sent from my GT-N8013 using TGR Forums

Starting to look at the Soul 7 more closely. There are a lot of comparisons out there to the Wailer 112RP, which is the direction I was headed. Hmmmmmm.