Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 LastLast
    Getting towards Spring conditions now. Might find the occasional dump at this time of year in April but mostly it's corn snow or machine groomed. With that said, I've had some super fun days in the sun in April/May. WSSF is a good time to come because there's lots going on in the village and lots of good music, plus the comps. These two weeks is about spring skiing and drinking beer on and off the mountain. Wouldn't worry about line ups this late in the season. Hopefully there's a slush cup this year. One year I went, it was cooking hot and there was a good turn out.

So for a first time, this would be the spring skiing weekend to come. If you want pow, then you might be a month too late.

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    so question for the locals or anyone that had been skiing there, planning on using my MCP tickets I have left, my only option would be easter weekend during the wssf... is it worth it? I'd have a 13hrs drive each way from Idaho so basically I'd be driving twice the time I'd be skiing!

had some snow the last days but looks like it's a little too warm and there is rain in the forecast!

does the rain usualy stick by the forecast or there is chance of snow at the upper mountain?

also does it get crazy busy like long wait lines during the wssf?

never been to BC so it's all new to me, did some search but I'm interested in local feedback about what conditions might be in a week from now!

This weekend was traverse weather! Got out on the Neve and it was fast and firm. The snow has receded to 3km from the trailhead, but the snow is still in at red heather. More info here:

http://westernridgelines.wordpress.c...erse-for-time/

So I guess this is somewhat self serving spam but oh well.....

I am curious as to whether or not there is anybody here with some free time who would be interested in coming on a mountain biking and or climbing trip starting in late May. I have a break between school finishing and my "career" job starting that spans May 23rd - June 8th; Ideally I'm hoping to do a car camping trip that would consist of all or at least some of Oregon, Northern Cali, Nevada and Utah. Its a pretty rare opportunity for myself but its un-surprisingly hard to find someone with free time like that to burn. Anyways, PM me if you're interested and I'd be happy to chat further/ alter my plans around availability or other ideas....

Pretty good deals at Escape Route

Beasts 789

Vipecs 575

Pretty damn good day in the alpine yesterday, minus the size 2 that went skier's right of husume by the buttress and took 2 people who were in a spot that looked quite safe against the cliffs for a ride... Stark reminder to always be on guard, no matter the familiarity.

5-25cm (more in pockets) yesterday. Lee sides were very nice. Anything below 2000m is quite moist, but can be fun. Anything below the top of Excel is sticky. Easy slabs out of the storm snow.

http://arfd.gov.bc.ca/ApplicationPos...p?PostID=45790

Don't know if this has been posted; if it has, my bad. With the proposed expansion it would seem they would absorb the Brew Hut and all terrain accessed by it. Thoughts/objections/comments? Start its own thread, if you feel it deserves one. If you object/agree, there is a link to provide comment(s) - commenting/ranting here will do nada.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Some of the regulars from my usual group of riders hit Joffre Couloir on Sunday. Solid work. Seems worthy of a cross-post...

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-April-26-2014

Husume skied very nicely yesterday before work. Looks like the possibility of some snow up top this weekend - perhaps the pow isn't done just yet

Hey Whistler, I'm up visiting from Squaw for my free days and Mtn. Collective days. Heading out to the hill Wed, Thurs, Friday. Drop me a line if you want to take some runs. Cheers!
    live the life.

Quote Originally Posted by maskinut View Post
    Hey Whistler, I'm up visiting from Squaw for my free days and Mtn. Collective days. Heading out to the hill Wed, Thurs, Friday. Drop me a line if you want to take some runs. Cheers!
    Good timing for spring skiing and some sun. Was thinking about skiing on the weekend but now it's looking wet. Good times on Blackcomb last weekend though!

Yea. Today was perfect. I was here when I was 14 but wasn't allowed to ski Saudan or Hawaii 5.0 etc. Hit them today and sent my dad pics. As warren miller sort of said, If you don't do it when your 14, you will be 20 years older when you do. Are kids out of school up here right now? The park was going crazy with what seemed like a few hundred school aged kids. Everyone playing hookey?

Anyone in town got some old bump skis they want to sell? 180cm-ish... With these hot temps I'm getting excited to smash some bumps tomorrow and Friday .
    Last edited by maskinut; 04-30-2014 at 08:16 PM.
    live the life.

Heard there was a level three avalanche today or last night on DOA. Talked to some patrollers today and they said it was pretty large.
    live the life.

HEY CANWILF

KNOCK KNOCK

Quote Originally Posted by canwilf View Post
    Heads up. Ends today
    http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/sav...01_E4_140502_B

This year includes free early season skiing till Dec 15.
    Not a bad deal considering that opening to Xmas can be all time..........or it can suck, like this year.

Has anyone been around the Spearhead lately? Looking for some conditions info, specifically any crevasse issues and snow level on Singing Pass trail. Checked the ACMG MCR and didn't find anything there.

Thanks in advance for any info.

What are the best shops in Van/Squamish/Whistler for AT boot fitting? I've been going to FanatykCo for my alpine boots and the guys there do an awesome job, but their AT selection is really thin.

Don't have monster feet but usually require a forefoot punch as they are a bit wide. If there's any of the usual suspects (Maestrale RS, Mercury etc.) left in 27-28 to try out that would be cool.

Was gonna check out Escape Route in Whistler and Valhalla in Squamish unless folks have other thoughts.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by canwilf View Post
    But Hoji works at Fanatyk, how can you go anywhere else knowing that?

But seriously, the service I have found is best at Fanatyk and they have offered us a few free re-punches when things needed adjusting mid-season. There is a North Van shop I saw advertised on bike racks and bus shelters but can't remember the name.

I am interested to hear what other people have found, next year we will probably be looking at improving our boot fitting again.
    They are awesome at bootfitting, but the last few times I've been in I've only seen the Cochise and Pinnacle on the shelf which I'm not really interested in as I want something lighter that tours better.

North van - you thinking Destination? My wife had her boots setup there and they did a great job. Will give em a shout but I think it's the same as FanatykCo, more on the alpine side of things.

And yeah I'm a Hoji fan, just got a pair of Hoji's with Radicals . Snow looked good up there today, didn't make the trip up though as we are fully into biking mode.

As for the bootfitting itself (not the boot buying part), Tom @ Intuition in Vancouver is the best guy around for touring boots. Call to make an appointment. He has done some magic to make my Vulcans fit perfectly to my crazy feet, as well as sorted out some hard-to-fit friends.

I get my alpine boots done at Fanatykco too though.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    As for the bootfitting itself (not the boot buying part), Tom @ Intuition in Vancouver is the best guy around for touring boots. Call to make an appointment. He has done some magic to make my Vulcans fit perfectly to my crazy feet, as well as sorted out some hard-to-fit friends.

Good to know, was planning on getting Intuition liners either way if the boots I end up in don't come with them. Was hoping to buy and fit at the same place, wish Fanatykco sold more AT stuff... will check out the others in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post

Second this. Dude is awesome, both as a person and a fitter. Can't recommend him highly enough if you need work done on touring boots.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Does Tom boot fitting as well? I just thought he did liner moldings. But yeah, he's done a great job on my liner fittings.

3rd for Tom. He punched out my scarpa freedom SL's and molded my liners. They are super duper.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Does Tom boot fitting as well? I just thought he did liner moldings. But yeah, he's done a great job on my liner fittings.
    Yep - he's got his own little shop set up in the back for fitting boots; pretty cool what he's got going on back there. He even has the remote-control blinds, so it's like being in the future when he opens them

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Great boot work, too. Went in to get liners molded for touring boots, and had a punch done on my alpine boots at the same time.
    I really like fanatyk, too, but toms set up is much more convenient for us city folk, and it's really nice to not be in a busy retail environment.