Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    CBC trailhead

Inb4 I drop out of Ryerson to come back mid december....

Quote Originally Posted by DanCudlip View Post
    I heard the first people were in line for the village gondi about 8am, and there are even some tents pitched down at creekside.
    Do these people not realise that employees have been skiing up there all week?!?!?!
    Last year I think WB gave out lift passes to the first few in line.

So how was today? I'm thinking of heading up tomorrow. Bring the skins or ride the groomers?

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    So how was today? I'm thinking of heading up tomorrow. Bring the skins or ride the groomers?
    Not the best or worst opening day I've been to. There was a highway of people hiking up the road to Harmony most of the day and lots of Peak (Cirque, Couloir, Whistler bowl, West Cirque, Shale Slope) and Harmony ridge were skied from what I could tell. Stuck to the groomers to warm the legs up although coverage in the alpine looked decent from far away, didn't want to chance it personally.

Other things of note, saw the first meatwagon being brought down by patrol at 9:15am (how?) and some poor soul doing an unintentional death before download on Creekside in the afternoon.

Good above reservoir. Definitely bring skins.

Thanks for not showing up today.

Quote Originally Posted by lafleche View Post
    Good above reservoir. Definitely bring skins.

Thanks for not showing up today.
    Thanks for the info.

Had a great ride on the Shore today. Wouldn't change a thing

Ya the trails are in great shape!

Apparently today was Mustache day, if you had a Mustache, you skied for free...
    Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Had there been another 15-20cm coverage I probably would have been kicking myself for not bringing skins. But today was fun to get out with the Missus and stretch the legs on the groomers...while trying to dodge every boarder trying to hit anything that resembled a lip.

Looks like some snow tonight so tomorrow might be a good day to hike/skin and avoid the maddening crowd....

...or just watch "Aussie and Quebexican Tib-Fib Day" unfold under Franz's....

got up for 3 laps in the afternoon, nice to catch up with some friends and slide around on the planks....although with limited terrain I felt like I was skiing back east, wall to wall people on the trails, shoulder checking very mandatory so you don't get creamed, in 3 laps I think I saw 4 big collisions between skiers/boarders from the lift, some pretty heavy looking ones too...definitely looked like there were some decent turns to be had in the alpine

crust 1/3-1/2 way up shale slope. good pow above that. no coverage if u weren't on glaciers.

keep riding your bike, preferably till christmas, nothing worthwhile
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

It's good to be back!

A wee bit of pow, sunshine, and many high fives made for a great opening day! Surprisingly not as much of a gong-show as I thought it might be either, no more than 10min waits in line. Let it snow!

Went for a little skin up to horseshoes this morning. The snow was great! Not too many people getting out there either. We got a nice window of good vis and had a sweet run down mcconkey's. Definitely ski with caution if heading out there though. There are some shallowly covered rocks, especially as you get lower down.

Lots of questionable people in questionable terrain doing questionable things right now on Whistler Peak. Saw two University city students trying to climb out of Wednesday's on West Bowl after realizing where they were followed by someone *skinning* up The Couloir. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Fejau View Post
    Lots of questionable people in questionable terrain doing questionable things right now on Whistler Peak. Saw two University city students trying to climb out of Wednesday's on West Bowl after realizing where they were followed by someone *skinning* up The Couloir. Good times.
    Wow. Guessing there were some decent turns with the new snow today if you skied in the right areas on Harmony/Peak?

We had a great lap down Whistler Bowl / Shale Slope today, definitely worth the walk.

Ran into a girl walking, solo to boot-pack UP Shale Slope at the Peak Chair base and then watched a group set a skin/bootpack up through the Key West/Left Hook area while having a beer in the Roundhouse. Saw the crazy skin-track up the The Couloir at this time too. Some serious WTF?! going on out there right now. Do they not know there's a cat-track around the back? Is extreme skinning a thing now? I know this thread popularised it last year but the uptake by the general populace is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Wow. Guessing there were some decent turns with the new snow today if you skied in the right areas on Harmony/Peak?
    Definitely. We had great turns down West Cirque then hard traversing into West Bowl.
    Avoiding Harmony like the plague right now, much too rocky.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
    We had a great lap down Whistler Bowl / Shale Slope today, definitely worth the walk.

Ran into a girl walking, solo to boot-pack UP Shale Slope at the Peak Chair base and then watched a group set a skin/bootpack up through the Key West/Left Hook area while having a beer in the Roundhouse. Saw the crazy skin-track up the The Couloir at this time too. Some serious WTF?! going on out there right now. Do they not know there's a cat-track around the back? Is extreme skinning a thing now? I know this thread popularised it last year but the uptake by the general populace is impressive.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1465190_10202379685594030_1145322847_n.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	145018

Extreme Skinning, possibly the most radical thing since Ski Ballet.

Anyone have a hi-res picture of the crazy Poop Chutes skin track from last year?

This is lo-res

Also could use hi-res one of the skin tracks that always get put up the gut of Cowboy Ridge

^That first picture. Holy shit.
    Drive slow, homie.

Did a day tour up to the Wendy Thompson hut on Sunday for some exercise and to stretch the legs. There's enough snow to skin in the area, but anything that isn't a smooth meadow has plenty of rocks sticking up.

Skintrack conditions at about 1350m

More snow at 1750m, but still pretty thin.

The Hut.

Quote Originally Posted by Fejau View Post
    Definitely. We had great turns down West Cirque then hard traversing into West Bowl.
    Avoiding Harmony like the plague right now, much too rocky.
    With skin track through saddle haven't really looked at Harmony. Bottom of West Bowl has gone from sketchy to marginal with 10 - 15 cm fresh. Steeper entrances (Couloir, Excitation) surprisingly good coverage. With no new snow in forecast Harmony will be skied out by Friday. Some tracks toward Flute yesterday.

Inversion forecast for weekend, but all in all a pretty good start to slack slackcountry.

in the middle of a Norman Rockwell painting
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

so freakin sketch.

My friend Kevin is a savvy tech guy and keen skier. He realized that after a week of storms, you want to know if your favourite run is going to be tracked out or still have some pockets of fresh. What matters is not only if, but when a lift opened during and after a storm. So he built this:

http://kevinlowe.ca/lifts.php?showall

He's travelling now, so I don't think there are plans to build it for other areas soon. Might be useful for folks skiing WB this year.

Quote Originally Posted by System_D View Post
    My friend Kevin is a savvy tech guy and keen skier. He realized that after a week of storms, you want to know if your favourite run is going to be tracked out or still have some pockets of fresh. What matters is not only if, but when a lift opened during and after a storm. So he built this:

http://kevinlowe.ca/lifts.php?showall

He's travelling now, so I don't think there are plans to build it for other areas soon. Might be useful for folks skiing WB this year.

Wow. That is fucking cool. Buying that dude a beer if I ever meet him.