Tracker 3 searching in TR mode

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2864.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	848.1 KB 
ID:	233457
    So I just bought a tracker 3 and tested it on the mountain yesterday. I used their original harness to wear it just under my jacket, all was good until the second it touched the fabrics, it started to make searching sound, I took it out and it’s indeed searching. Tested it a few more times it either restarted itself or switched to searching, all while the switch locked in TR. I didn’t find anything related to this issue online so maybe it’s a single incident, but imagine it happening when you are actually in the backcountry.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Did it not come with it's own harness? Maybe the new harness prevents it from switching somehow? Seems odd though since some keep beacons in pockets.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Tracker 3 searching in TR mode

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Did it not come with it's own harness? Maybe the new harness prevents it from switching somehow? Seems odd though since some keep beacons in pockets.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    It did and I was using it. But it’s not the harness, I rubbed on my fabric clothes and it’s the same. (Pic was from just now rubbing on clothes)
    And it really shouldn’t switch under any circumstances. That’s like the last thing you want to happen.

Static discharge causing mode change?

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Edit- I missed that this was recreated in that picture. Static seems like the most likely cause.

That would be strange, CE testing involves several static discharge tests at several levels. I think that's while the device is running, but it's been a while since I did any tests. Haven't done anything with transmitters (fortunately) but I'd expect it has to stay in a given mode during the ESD testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Yeah seems so. I called bca customer service the girl said it’s the first time she’s heard about this. They will get back to me later.

I've never had anything like that happen. It's been very reliable in my experience. Sounds like a warranty replacement is in order.

Warranty replacement!? I could never trust one of those beacons after having an experience like that.

Been using my T3 for several years and have never seen this. I would want a warranty replacement or a full repair/recert by BCA at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Been using my T3 for several years and have never seen this. I would want a warranty replacement or a full repair/recert by BCA at the very least.
    Yeah, bca has been awesome to deal with, I sent them the pic through email and they acknowledged the problem and said would forward the email to their tech department, also that I would get it exchanged at the MEC I bought the beacon from, which I actually got a refund because they ran out of stock. Season is ending anyways I will just buy one next season.

well that sucks. I just got one of these. had a feeling i should stick with a Tracker 2. hope that's not the case.

My first gen T1 developed a glitch after about five years. BCA replaced it with 2nd gen, no problem.

They will give you a new one...likely a bad switch.

Shit happens and this is an anomaly.

That said I switched to the new Mammut this year for better flagging abilities and range

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep View Post
    That said I switched to the new Mammut this year for better flagging abilities and range
    ...which is what OP should consider doing with the refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    ...which is what OP should consider doing with the refund.
    Totally, that’s the beauty of the refund, and I have 6 months to decide lol