Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you get wasps out of a wall?

Wasps have taken up residence in a flower bed retaining wall right outside my front door.

I've emptied a can of wasp killer on them, and they laughed at me.

I lack courage and am not enthused by idea of dismantling wall. I am enthused about building a homemade flamethrower however...
    (I guess the question is whether I want to go out by anaphylaxis or third-degree burn)

1st rule of battle is to know thy enemy....

mostly likely yellow jackets not wasps. get the foaming stuff intended for yellow jackets n carpenter bees. if that fails. nukem

You can't expect to do much from spraying the sidewalk, except make a beagle ill. Get closer. borrow a gopro though.

DO NOT KILL THEM. if you need them gone, somehow resolve problem without violence.

Most people cant seem to grasp this, but learn to ignore bees, and they'll ignore you. panic, and theyll panic.

P.S. if your allergic than kill them.

When we moved in last year the mountain house had a basketball size wasp nest attached to the outside dormer. Up high and unreachable without getting on the roof and quite active all day.

Had a roofer over to evaluate the roof and he would not go up there till it was gone. His consult was to hire a pro.

We did and 60$ later the pump truck was parked outside and the guy nuked them. They haven't returned.

The foaming spray should work fine, do it at night and make sure to spray directly into the hole.

Spray graffiti on the wall, then blast a few 9mm clips into it. The WASPS will move out.

Yellow jackets built this little casa on my man cave. I left them alone until one of them little bastards bit me.

This killed each and every one of them.

Victory is mine.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

They return to their nest at dusk. They usually only have one access point. Watch the hole and when it seems like the last of them are inside empty most of the spray can into the hole and plug it with something like a plastic bag. Watch to see if they come out somewhere else, and if they do you'll have to repeat the process with that hole.
    Gravity Junkie

Maybe convert them to Judaism?
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

OTC bug sprays aren't going to have the staying power that you need to deal with a yellow jacket infestation. What you want is a product called Delta Dust. It kills on contact and remains effective for up to 90 days (even longer if it doesn't get washed away. So you need to order some Delta Dust from Amazon or whatever and then apply it liberally into and around the hole late in the evening after sunset when all the yellow jackets are home for the evening. Just wear gloves, a thick jacket, and thick pants as well as a cheap wallyworld mosquito head net in order to give yourself the time to treat the site thoroughly. Hit the main entrance one evening and then give it a day or two before doing a second treatment if necessary. Watch the flight patterns of the little bastards during the middle of the day to see if they have a second (or several) access points and treat those as well.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

+++vibes+++
    Gravity. It's the law.

As a preventative measure in the future, you can tie up brown paper bags in an inflated, nest like way and hang them around your property. The little bastards think this is a serious alpha nest and they will clear the f@#* out. Worked for me, (although it was for wasps, not yellow jackets).

^^^ that is really cool.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Aren't yellow jackets just a type of wasp? anyway invite a skunk in to area or Asians

CA - you free to travel???
    Last edited by DougW; 10-01-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Styrofoam + diesel + matches.

Don't burn the neighborhood down.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Fuck 'em like a Beast?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Spray graffiti on the wall, then blast a few 9mm clips into it. The WASPS will move out.

Gentrification's a bitch, ain't it?

Smile Shop Vac Solution

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Aren't yellow jackets just a type of wasp? anyway invite a skunk in to area or Asians

CA - you free to travel???
    I told you, I didn't touch your goddam bees.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I had a yellowjacket (I think) nest in a wall void. They chewed through a little pencil sized hole in the interior wall while I was on vacation. I ran outside like a little shrieking schoolgirl and noted the point of entry, them waited until nighttime to empty a bottle of boric acid powder into the hole in the exterior siding and into the hole in the interior wall, plugging both. When the wall started humming, I was convinced I would need to call an exterminator the next day. Woke up to silence. Boric acid is non toxic to mammals too.

The fact that it took this many posts to get to this solution makes me sad

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Styrofoam + diesel + matches.

Don't burn the neighborhood down.
    I wouldn't worry to much about the neighborhood, they will understand.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

It looks like you could take apart that part of the wall pretty easily- mark each rock in the area with a chalked number and take a picture before dismantling to make putting it back together again easier. Then drown the nest with water if you can submerge it or get it into a bucket. Do this at night while they are sleeping!

Oh- and fyi:

The Explanation: The problem with elucidating the difference between wasps and hornets is that, at least according to most definitions of wasps, all hornets are wasps. So here's the deal:

Bees are fuzzy pollen collectors that almost always die shortly after stinging people (because the stinger becomes embedded in the skin, which prevents multiple stings). Bees don't die each time they sting, though; the primary purpose of the stinger is to sting other bees, which doesn't result in the loss of the stinger.

Wasps are members of the family Vespidae, which includes yellow jackets and hornets. Wasps generally have two pairs of wings and are definitely not fuzzy. Only the females have stingers, but they can sting people repeatedly.

Hornets are a small subset of wasps not native to North America (the yellow jacket is not truly a hornet). Somewhat fatter around the middle than your average wasp, the European hornet is now widespread on the East Coast of the U.S. Like other wasps, hornets can sting over and over again and can be extremely aggressive.

Read the full text here: http://mentalfloss.com/article/19686...#ixzz2gauSTSAo
    --brought to you by mental_floss!