Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Every once in awhile yellow jackets set up shop beneath a part of my deck that I can't reach under to spray them with that spray. I've tossed a Hot Shot indoor fogger underneath the deck and watched the fog envelope the deck, after which dozens of yellow jackets fell out and writhed around in agony for a minute before succumbing. It felt like I was tossing a frag at the enemy and was in a way more fun that the spray stuff.

http://www.hotshot.com/products-and-...or-fogger.aspx

Yep. definitely yellow jackets.

I got some foam and it seems to have worked. If they come back, I'm doing what DeathVan suggested or this (start at 1:00 unless you know Chinese)

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/03/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

42 killed and over 1,500 injured by the little bastards.
    Last edited by Mudfoot; 10-03-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/03/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

42 killed and over 1,500 injured by the little bastards.
    Check out the wikipedia for some terrifying facts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet

Tell me that's not terrifying?! If I were being swarmed by these guys I'd be freaking the fuck out.

I gotta give you credit for knowing the annotation tools in "preview" with that arrow OP. Not a ton of people know how to do that without photoshop.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    If I were being swarmed by these guys I'd be freaking the fuck out.
    No shit. apparently a single swat can get you killed.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    I gotta give you credit for knowing the annotation tools in "preview" with that arrow OP. Not a ton of people know how to do that without photoshop.
    I've grown to like Preview, but it's taken many years. The sig function is especially slick

Quote Originally Posted by spicy cha cha View Post

I've emptied a can of wasp killer on them, and they laughed at me.

I lack courage and am not enthused by idea of dismantling wall. I am enthused about building a homemade flamethrower however...
    (I guess the question is whether I want to go out by anaphylaxis or third-degree burn)
    I worked with an old hand in the woods this last week, when it came time to build the fire buddy puts some kindling on the ground, splashes some diesel over it for accelerant, tells me " they had to quit putting cfc's in these cans so instead they use propane"

Buddy picks up a can of tree marking paint points it at a lighter flame and creates instant flame thrower

follows with the advice " This also works good if you are being charged by a bear"

don't wasps leave in the winter when it gets cold, I was told to leave an empty wasps nest so other wasps stay away?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

An easy way to get rid of wasps is to put a no-pest strip next to the nest or nest entrance. If the space is enclosed, it'll generally kill the wasps. If open - like next to a hole in a wall - the wasps will generally abandon the next within a day or two.

The down side is that while the wasps are leaving, there may be extra activity near the nest entrance, and my impression is that the wasps are agro. So stay away from the nest. We've used this to deal with wasp nests under our (inaccessible) deck - just hang the strip from a string on a pole, lower it between the deck boards next to the nest, and chill for a day or two. Very easy and handy.

You want to use a fresh no-pest strip. After using it for a day or two, wrap it in aluminum foil, store in a zip-lock bag, and it'll keep for at least a few years. Every summer we seem to get a nest or two under a deck, next to the front door, or in a porch post - places that are dangerous for visitors. But the wasps around here are pretty mellow so we leave them alone if the nest doesn't pose a direct hazard.

This cheap trap killed all the wasps at my house spray couldn't reach.

Bumpity

Spring is here, and the wasps are out in force. Can no longer enjoy my balcony as their nest seems to be close enough that there are always 2-4 wasps flying around my head. Did some inspecting from ground level and can't tell where their entrance is, I think there may be multiple nests in the eaves/gutters/shingles. Basically at the point where I'll do anything to get rid of these fuckers.

Guess I'll start with a decoy nest and some traps and go from there.. Also read that spraying the area with peppermint oil deters them. Anyone go that route?

Those yellow traps work; put some meat in there along with the attractant. Just put them far away from your balcony to lure the wasps away, while you search for the nests; this won’t kill them all, but you’ll at least be able to sit outside.

The best solution by far is to purchase some Delta dust and a bellowed hand duster to shoot it in the cracks at dusk. They will all be dead within a week and the residual dust will keep them away. Traps are great but only when you cannot locate the source of the nest.

Sent from my SM-G920P using TGR Forums mobile app

Gf had a great big fucking wasp in her bnb left by some kind of biology masters student who pointed it out so GF just let it fly very slowly around the kitchen, just another pet along with the 2 dogs/cat/ budgee

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Maybe convert them to Judaism?
    I was working the folk fest with an old Jewish hippy and his non-violent method of wasp control was to wait till activity was slow, go up the ladder with a paper bag and bag that wasp nest which he moved to the end of the fair grounds

The thump you feel in your hand as they hit against the shop vac extension is quite satisfying. Use 3 tubes to give a good reach. And then seal off the vacuum hole, just in case some survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    The best solution by far is to purchase some Delta dust and a bellowed hand duster to shoot it in the cracks at dusk. They will all be dead within a week and the residual dust will keep them away. Traps are great but only when you cannot locate the source of the nest.

Sent from my SM-G920P using TGR Forums mobile app
    I'd use a product called ficam, but offer same advice. It does NOT knock them down. A dust bulb with a pole extension would be my recco, unless you want to take the chance of getting stung. I used to hit cicada killer nests...we called the ones that came flying out powdered donuts. All covered in white dust.

Good luck. Pest control is fun.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I've had good luck hanging the yellow traps right next to the nest. As a last resort, the aerosol wasp/hornet spray has never failed me.

NOTE: if a yellowjacket is hassling you, just bat it away with the palm of your hand. Don't try to smash/kill it - if you merely injure it, those fuckers release a pheromone which attracts and aggravates their brethren, who will come in defense of the injured one. I've had this happen and it is not cool (I escaped in-stung that time, though I was stung by yellowjackets 4 times that summer, after going without for like 20 years).

I've got a garden shed that's been FULL of carpenter bees (bumblebees) and back yard loaded with ground bees for the past 20 years. I just go about my business in the shed and mow right over swarms of the ground bees. I pretend they aren't there and they tend to ignore me. Haven't been stung a single time doing that this century. My daughter got stung once... swatting one of the carpenter bees. Luckily, they didn't go in to full attack mode. But, for typical bees, just leave them alone.. for MF'n wasps kill those bastards in sight..

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I've got a garden shed that's been FULL of carpenter bees (bumblebees) and back yard loaded with ground bees for the past 20 years. I just go about my business in the shed and mow right over swarms of the ground bees. I pretend they aren't there and they tend to ignore me. Haven't been stung a single time doing that this century. My daughter got stung once... swatting one of the carpenter bees. Luckily, they didn't go in to full attack mode. But, for typical bees, just leave them alone.. for MF'n wasps kill those bastards in sight..

Those miner bees are completely different, I don't know if they even have stingers TBH. I used to mow right over the top of them and they display similar defensive behavior to honey bees (i.e. bumping you as an initial warning), but I never got stung. Whatever their deal is, they're very active at this time of the year, believe it's their mating season.

Get a can of Great Stuff spray foam (they even have a pest version that tastes bad, to rodents anyway), then at night when they're sleeping squirt some in every hole in the wall you can find. Seal those bastards in there.