Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SNWGHST View Post
    Broke another one today, aaaaaaaggggghhhhhhh. Attachment 151100
    Doing what?
    After how much of what type of activity?

Please fill us in more completely when you have a minute.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

just to chime in. Im sporting the 130 Pinnacles and after 17 days of skiing I had one of the cuff alignment screws come completely out somehow while I was skiing. I could still ski it but it felt pretty sketchy.

I called K2 and they wanted me to go through REI to get a new one, but after much argument I convinced them to just send one directly to me.

Contemplating returning this boot after the season (Thanks REI) and getting next years model, a bit worried these are going to break next season after some heavier use. I do really love these boots though.

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Doing what?
    After how much of what type of activity?

Please fill us in more completely when you have a minute.
    Broke skiing the resort today, chopped up pow, high speed back to the chair. It's only the 4th day I've skied the resort with them since I got the them back from first failure, and 5 tour days during that same period. I have been reluctant to ski them at the resort, and have used my Langes on the firmer days, concerned about failure. Today was far from firm, about 120cms in the last week. Really like the boot when it's not broken.

That sucks man! I still feel like I have 2 potential time bombs on my feet.

On to the next problem, really trying hard to get my $$$$ back. Any K2 reps out there that can help a brother out?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1394737297.867417.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	152479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1394737314.528786.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	152480

Wow that sucks. Bc of some of the issues I am considering going with a spyne 130 next year instead.

Wish I could just trade them in !

Hello, lurker here.

This seems to be the best discussion on this boot, and I've been looking for updated information throughout the summer on what K2 plans to do with this for the upcoming season, but I haven't found anything, and I'm wondering if anyone else has.

I spent some time in a shop a few weeks ago. They sold seven last season and had one returned for buckle issues in the 110. They didn't carry the 130.

I'm also curious to know if there is anyone over 200 lbs that hasn't had any issues with this boot?

Quote Originally Posted by Awildgarebear View Post
    This seems to be the best discussion on this boot, and I've been looking for updated information throughout the summer on what K2 plans to do with this for the upcoming season, but I haven't found anything, and I'm wondering if anyone else has. I spent some time in a shop a few weeks ago. They sold seven last season and had one returned for buckle issues in the 110. They didn't carry the 130. I'm also curious to know if there is anyone over 200 lbs that hasn't had any issues with this boot?
    We sold dozens of Pinnacles last season to all sizes of skiers. When the issues with the cast rear latch surfaced, K2 brought us a bag of replacements and we've only used 1 so far. No issues that I know of with buckles or delaminated toe pads.

The Pinnacle boots stay the same for 2015, they've updated the SpYne cosmetically and added 102mm lasts for some of the boots this year.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The Pinnacle boots stay the same for 2015, they've updated the SpYne cosmetically and added 102mm lasts for some of the boots this year.
    When you say "stay the same" for this season, what about all the failures that were reported last season? Any updates to the boots' problem areas?

I'm in the market for a new boot and tried on the 130 LV the other day. I liked what I saw and a great fit for my foot, but I'm not willing to buy a boot that's seen this many problems reported publicly and hasn't been updated. I can understand the growing pains attributed to taking a new product to market. However, a company that's not willing to make the necessary updates on the second iteration strikes me as a company that is deaf to its customers, has a two-bit R&D department, or just doesn't give a crap.

Now if the updates have been made on this season's model, I stand corrected, and would be very interested in picking up a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by rushbikes View Post
    When you say "stay the same" for this season, what about all the failures that were reported last season? Any updates to the boots' problem areas?.
    By 'all the failures' I assume you are talking about the small select handful of issues that K2 quickly responded to, and addressed last year?

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    By 'all the failures' I assume you are talking about the small select handful of issues that K2 quickly responded to, and addressed last year?
    By all the failures, I mean the several that are mentioned multiple times in this forum, EpicSki, and even on K2's own product page under Reviews.
    http://k2skis.com/ski-boots/pinnacle-130#ReviewHeader

Most commonly, they seem to be (among others):

- metal walk mode tab on the spine snapping off
    - bolts unthreading themselves
    - walk mode flipping into the On position while skiing
    - buckles bending at the pivot
    - instep buckles falling off
    - cracked shells

That's wonderful if K2 has quickly responded to these as they happen, but I'm not keen on buying a boot that seems to me hasn't evolved from its growing pains phase. And so, as a curious consumer, I'm wondering if they've made any changes to the 2014/15 boot that addresses these product failures?

Are there any K2 techs or reps on the forum who can address this? From digging around online, I get the impression that many of these issues were pretty consistent for those who ski frequently and aggressively.

Quote Originally Posted by rushbikes View Post
    By all the failures, I mean the several that are mentioned multiple times in this forum, EpicSki, and even on K2's own product page under Reviews.
    http://k2skis.com/ski-boots/pinnacle-130#ReviewHeader

Most commonly, they seem to be (among others):

- metal walk mode tab on the spine snapping off
    - bolts unthreading themselves
    - walk mode flipping into the On position while skiing
    - buckles bending at the pivot
    - instep buckles falling off
    - cracked shells

That's wonderful if K2 has quickly responded to these as they happen, but I'm not keen on buying a boot that seems to me hasn't evolved from its growing pains phase. And so, as a curious consumer, I'm wondering if they've made any changes to the 2014/15 boot that addresses these product failures?

Are there any K2 techs or reps on the forum who can address this? From digging around online, I get the impression that many of these issues were pretty consistent for those who ski frequently and aggressively.
    I know they made a few updates to the Pinnacle for 2015

-They added some additional clearance between the upper and lower shell to help prevent cracking the upper by leaning back to far

-Beefed up the wall thickness on the metal walk tab

- Added a metal stopper that prevents the upper part of the shell from being pushed too far back

-I think they also addressed the bending buckles, but I cant recall off the top of my head

Sounds like Stairmaster was paying closer attention at the clinic than I, but yes they beefed up the metal tabs (and sent a bunch of spares to dealers) and made some subtle changes to the cuff mold to address the cracking problem. Don't know about the buckles or sole delam issues.

So got a pair of pinnacle 130s cheap new and after a couple of weeks the cuff attachment screw has obviously worked loose and the whole outer canting piece and screw has fallen off somewhere along the line on the inside of one of the boots. Have emailed k2 just using the contact from on the website to see if I can get another sent to me but has been a couple of weeks and had no reply. Does anyone have a better way of trying to contact k2 to try and source this part? I bought them from a secondhand outdoors store but they were brand new and still had all the tags on them but don't think they will be able to help as I don't believe they are an official reseller.

Make sure your cuff screws are tight!

Day 6 on them.

Confirmed ski mode prior to launch. 20 foot to decent tranny. Complete failure. Completely unacceptable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	578.2 KB 
ID:	162919   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	429 
Size:	482.5 KB 
ID:	162920   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	372 
Size:	484.8 KB 
ID:	162921  

Broke second synchro interlock system two weeks ago. Same story like the cases below.Can be a pretty dangerous boot on a exposed terrains. But most of all it pisses me off K2 does not give a shit. When you write to the USA or Europe sales and assistance, they dont even reply. Will start to paste the comment on every post of their official fb web page. God enough just for their promo fat guy drinking beer on the sofa.

Hey guys, just to let you know, it happened to me too (the iron piece broken on the walk system). Last week in la Clusaz (France) while skiing (not even hard). I passed through the shop where I bought them, they contacted K2 and at first time they wanted to send a new piece but they are out of stock. So it seems I'll have a complete new pair, they should arrive next week. I'll tell you.

I have the Pinnacle 130, the plastic toe plate that contacts the AFD on the front binding is HOLLOW. There are solid strips but for the most part it is hollow. Even a few steps in gravel will punch a hole right through it. (I have several holes in the toe plates on both sides!). This is not right for a downhill boot let alone a touring boot that has to walk over rock etc. Furthermore, I think the walk mode is not free enough too for this to be a viable touring boot. It also fits like a downhill boot, which means its crummy to walk in. Everything combined, no rockered rubber sole, stiff walk mode, downhill fit, and weight. I would have a hard time touring in this boot. Enough Bitching. I really like this boot for what it was designed for (a downhill boot with a few trinkets). It drives my ski really well and its so responsive. I just wont take it into the backcountry. For that I'll use a Mastrale RS. Also, any idea on how to get new toe plates from K2 without going through the original retailer (because I'm too far away)?

Skied these for over 100 days last season. Broke the walk mode around the 100th day, landed a high speed drop in powder in the back seat (still upright put putting heavy pressure on my tails) and the metal piece just shattered. The instep buckle teeth unthreaded itself and fell off, one of the power straps sheared off from just tightening them up, and the buckles eventually all deformed and bent around the pivot (again, just from tightening them).
    Skied these for a few weeks after k2 fixed them under warranty but never felt confident to ski them hard in questionable conditions and terrain.
    A good boot with great ideas but shithouse build quality. Ended up going to the tecnica cochise 130 pro, and they are miles better

Pinnacles don't work with the G3 ion

Thought I had the genius set up this year. Bonafides mounted with G3 ions and some Pinnacle boots. Chase the kids round the hill, slither out the side for a bit of skinning and a couple of cones, and click in to a pair of mean as race skis with downhill bindings that I got from the dump for fifty bucks whenever I felt the need to scare the shit out of myself. All without changing my boots. I get it. K2, you're a bunch of geniuses.

Hang on, not so fast old buddy... Wouldn't ya know but the tech/DIN sole on the Pinnacles isn't thick enough to fully depress the brake platform on the ions. Have since returned the boots back to the shop without even skiing them. Good job I checked it all out before I heated the inners.

So, unless you like skiing round with your brakes partially deployed all day - I suggest you avoid the ion/Pinnacle combination until K2 learn how to use a ruler and produce a sole that's thick enough to work.

Back to the drawing board. Anyone know of another boot manufacturer doing a walk mode equipped down the hill orientated boot with a dual tech/DIN sole?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Itchy, HMS Lollypop View Post
    Anyone know of another boot manufacturer doing a walk mode equipped down the hill orientated boot with a dual tech/DIN sole?
    No one else is doing an ISO 5355 sole shape with tech inserts. Funny, though - I used several pairs of Ions at demos last year with Pinnacle 130's and they seemed to push the brake down fine.

I have brand new pair of 2015 Pinnacle boots for sale in a 26.5.

Brand new still in the box! Selling them for 300!

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    No one else is doing an ISO 5355 sole shape with tech inserts.
    ...because the inserts do not meet ISO 5355, this most binding manufacturers won't indemnify their bindings for use with the sole.

Last I knew, the K2 sole does not meet any industry norms.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    ...because the inserts do not meet ISO 5355, this most binding manufacturers won't indemnify their bindings for use with the sole. Last I knew, the K2 sole does not meet any industry norms.
    The issue about the K2 Pinnacle soles not meeting ISO 5355 spec was brought up by Look/Rossignol in a letter to shops. They mentioned the fact that 5355 does not include a provision for tech inserts and that the inserts "might" interfere with the rollers found on some alpine toes. Meanwhile thousands of ISO 9523 boots with inserts were being successfully used in bindings like the Duke, Baron, Guardian/Tracker, Adrenaline, Fritschi - all with essentially alpine toes . . . One could easily imagine this issue never being raised had Lange been the first to put tech inserts in a non-rockered sole.

Salomon/Atomic seemed to be on the fence, and "surprise" Marker had no problem with the Pinnacle toes (might have interfered with some paychecks, ja?)

does anyone know if the 2015-2016 version has fixed any of the durability issues folks had with the earlier versions of this boot? I'm eyeing this boot closely for this season but I'm skeptical with the various reports of durability issues these boots have had.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com