Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Devo21 View Post
    After 7 days, mine are going fine. Apart from a fit issue (the heel pocket is too narrow for me, and I came from RX130s where the heel was just tight enough), I think they are a great boot.

Just putting out that there are some positive reports.
    Don't get me wrong - these boots rock! I am advising people to be cautions about buying them. I know they are a 1st production year but I couldn't wait. This is too many failures to be seeing this early.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    too bad I really love these boots, or I wouldn't put up with it

It's sounds as if it's probably going to end up being like dating a crazy stripper that sucks the meanest dick of all time for a good number of us. You know you can't find another that'll do all the wild shit she will- but she's gonna fkn piss you off royally and fuck up some otherwise good times when she flakes out huge. Maybe leave you stranded. Maybe you'll wake up handcuffed to the bed and the boots will be stealing your gear and driving away in your car, who knows!

To the guys getting their boots fixed... Or to K2... Please keep us posted!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    No, but I do have Ibuprophen and wet wipes.
    Booyah! The Mexican standoff! Ibuprofen for the tequila and wet wipes for the tamales. This guy IS good.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by SNWGHST View Post
    Ahhhhh shit bro, this is not cool, for fucks sake, did K2 even do any goddamn product testing on these, or what? I've never even seen this many broken boots in my life, I will be demanding my money back. '' The Game Changer '', my ass, maybe '' The Day Ender ''
    First gen BD Factors had similar issues. This does seem to be coming on quicker and more widespread, but I wonder if K2 has sold more...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

First in-bounds day on mine today and I love them! I was on the cusp in sizes and went up and they are a hair big, but it didn't seem to affect performance when ratcheted down and I don't have the cold feet, pressure points, and squished toes I do in my old boots.

Love the upright stance and the flex.

Hopefully mine stay intact or break soon... I've got a flying trip coming up and I'm a bit worried to bring this boot due to the reports.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using TGR Forums
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

First day touring on my Pinnacle 110s. Actually pretty impressed with the tourability. Range of motion about what you'd expect for a mostly alpine boot, but moved well and didn't pinch or give any other weird feelings while walking. Tech fittings seem perfectly dialed, no issues there. Pretty warm boot too. This boot seems like a huge advance over my first touring boots, original model Factors. Guys who want a beefy boot and don't need the tourability of a Mastraele or Vulcan or whatever should really check this out. Let's hope K2 figures out the breakage issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    This happened to my buddy's pair too. first or second day on them.
    ...and same thing again today with the other foot after he got a replacement for the first break.

Quote Originally Posted by SNWGHST View Post
    Ahhhhh shit bro, this is not cool, for fucks sake, did K2 even do any goddamn product testing on these, or what? I've never even seen this many broken boots in my life, I will be demanding my money back. '' The Game Changer '', my ass, maybe '' The Day Ender ''
    Lighten up, Francis. We sold almost every pair but one (29.5) and no issues. I have 20 days in mine, no issues. Have I heard of some breakage? this picture and one other. These are not game changers, just another boot.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Lighten up, Francis. We sold almost every pair but one (29.5) and no issues. I have 20 days in mine, no issues. Have I heard of some breakage? this picture and one other. These are not game changers, just another boot.

I had a major brainstorm sit down with my boots and all the pics of the failures. If you watch how not only the rear of the shell is forced to splay out by the lower right along a seam- as well as the lever just kind of pushed out by the stride. Neither are contained by anything but the tenacity of the stride. I can absolutely see where bigger guys who your are going to have issues.

I do think I've got a solid idea on how to fix it though. If you ran a metal retention strap arch from both bolts that secure the upper to the lower and around the back, it would be perfectly in line. Pull the upper, grind the inside edge so it jives in walk mode, and shim the metal strap to give a defined and retained limit on both the upper's shell wings (on either side of the metal switch) and the switch itself. It would give a much freer stride and also retain all that force rather than dump it on seams and castings.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    ...and same thing again today with the other foot after he got a replacement for the first break.
    Jesus. I will be waiting for that to happen to mine!

So wish me luck guys, I'm going to separate my upper and lower today after lunch in an effort to come up with a retention solution for this breaking issue since not a peep from K2 on a potential fix in the works. I've got a drawing and an idea and a shop full of materials and machines and I'm convinced If I can get it to jive with the hardware it will fix this- and pretty simply at that. Any tips or cautions in taking them apart/putting them back together? I've carefully noted my cuff alignment on the ankle pins already and will obviously be keeping all my hardware safe and sound in bags on my "touch this and die" project shelf. Never taken shells apart before though tbh so I'm a little nervous but I feel this needs some immediate attention. I don't feel safe on them after really nerding out and seeing how the pieces interact in walk mode. So much stress contained just on unsupported/unrestrained seams, this design is honestly a time bomb as is and the bigger you are/more you tour the faster it'll break. Period.

I sort of wish I had noticed this when I bought them but they just felt so good and are just about everything I want save for a decent walk mode, so I'm actually glad I did it since it seems as though K2 isn't doing much if anything the least bit proactive and I know I can fix this.

^^^ My Dad was a tv repairman and has an awesome set of tools! I can fix it!

Give it he'll buddy! Post the pics.

Job at K2 is in the works? I'd stay as independent consultant and charge a ridiculous fee.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

DW: post a full TR, if you have the time. I've wanted to mess with separating lowers from uppers for a while now, and I'm sure a TR would be super helpful!
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

But, this is TGR not Epic.

How often do you tour in them or stroll around in walk mode? I really think it's the usage of them in walk mode that tears them apart. It's really a poorly executed version of a great idea IMO. Great list of attributes, weak attention to actual performance as advertised.

I have 10 days or so on my LV 130s and three tours. Bought this boot with the goal of having one boot for the resort and for shorter tours (less than 3K of vert and with an easy up track). This boot works very well for 80-90% of the skiing I do in a year.

I’ll echo what others have said: the liner is nice and the boot fits (me) ridiculously well; the boot is really heavy; stiffness is adequate but not intimidating or punishing. The DIN sole is nice as you don’t need to monkey with swap plate, swap soles, or anything else. The downside is that after years with a Vibram sole (tele and AT boots) I find myself falling uncontrollably in parking lots. I’ll be using my old AT boots for any spring tours with boot packs. The range of motion is fine but when the ascent got tricky, I was envious of my friends wearing Mercury’s. This is not surprising and I am already planning to spend a lot of money on a ski boot that will not be used very often.

I have had no problems with durability, but I flow like quicksilver down the mountain. However, I have found the latch to be a little wonky and occasionally the boots clicks when touring or walking. This drives me fucking crazy and a friendship ended when the noise drove a touring partner slowly insane and she struck me in the face and ear with her ski pole.
    Last edited by Greydon Clark; 01-15-2014 at 05:11 PM.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Hey guys, I'm the guy Judo Chop has been talking about - I have broken both boots now (in separate incidents). The metal tabs do seem a little porous, and hopefully they were just a bad first run of manufacturing.

I haven't done anything crazy in them, and both broke while skiing (no binding release or even a fall). I'm not light (230lbs) so I'm sure that has something to do with it. Still no excuse for this - it'd suck to be out touring or on an exposed line to have the boot fail and essentially end up in walk mode. The 130's ski great, and are still pretty stiff (especially compared to the noodle that is the Quest), so I'm bummed they keep breaking. The walk mode works great, but obviously introduced a weak point.

Boots returned. 1 week turn around time.

I don't have the other to compare to as I only sent 1 shell.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1390327788.950714.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	148966

Quote Originally Posted by Mad View Post
    Attachment 147652

Hi, this is what I got after one day of skiing! Not even charging, I spent my day with my 6 years old son on the slopes.
    The shop where I got them has already got 2 similiar failures out of the 5 pairs they sold!
    Those boots are sexy as hell but they are not much reliable it seems.

And yeah, it's tough to get your finger under the buckle to open it!

If you've some french skills, there are some failure report as well there :
    http://www.skipass.com/forums/sports...0.html#2994424

Never a good idea to buy the first release of a new product...I should have known.

Good service from K2; I've got a new cuff, with buckles and strap one week after! I asked to keep the old one, so I've got some spare parts...just in case

Quote Originally Posted by Mad View Post
    Good service from K2; I've got a new cuff, with buckles and strap one week after! I asked to keep the old one, so I've got some spare parts...just in case
    Seriously, K2 is good at this! My boots weren't even broken and an actual product engineer called me the other day to talk about my concerns with the boot. THAT's the kind of stuff that will keep people coming back! Huge props to K2!

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Seriously, K2 is good at this! My boots weren't even broken and an actual product engineer called me the other day to talk about my concerns with the boot. THAT's the kind of stuff that will keep people coming back! Huge props to K2!
    I've been wondering how the Doworkian modifications have been going?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I've been wondering how the Doworkian modifications have been going?

Good actually, work has been crazy so I haven't been able to work on it very much but things are looking good and I'm feeling very positive about it after speaking with that engineer. From my direct experience I can honestly say that the folks at K2 are really into being the best boot company they can be and you can tell they most definitely give a shit which is refreshing.

I'll update the other thread when I have a finished boot to show and a little time to make sure they're doing what I want them to.

Glad others have had a good experience with k2 with this issue.

I bought my boots in the EU, but they were cool about it and fixed them here in Canada anyways. Props to them!

Same problem for me. breakage in right boot. K2 wanted both boots, so they can replace both walk modes, hopefully they will have a quick turnaround and not break again.
    I am also a big guy. 210lbs skiing 192 salomon rockers in 12-15" of new snow when they broke.
    Such a bummer. Mainly because i like the fit and feel of the boot so much.

Broke another one today, aaaaaaaggggghhhhhhh. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1393022612.683589.jpg 
Views:	863 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	151100