Rocker2 VS ON3P BG’s VS Hoji’s VS Rens VS. Bibby's VS 112RP for 1 quiver resort ski

Looking to pick up a used big mountain resort powder ski for my annual west coast trip, so I can stop renting or doing the demo tent thing at Whistler.

Me: expert east coast skier (30 plus days a year for last 10 years). I make 1 trip a year out west and cherry pick the time to make sure there's pow (about 10 trips in total to date), so I would be an advanced big mountain/pow skier. I love skiing everything from steep chutes to tight trees and do enjoy charging large faces at mach 10. I make sure I ski everything available while out west and don't back down from anything other than hucking anything over my height as my knees can't handle it.

I’m about 190 to 200lbs and 5’11 with bad knees, so I ski with braces and do prefer a slightly shorter ski to keep my knees happy.(longer skis tend to torque my knees so I have a preference closer to 180 than 190) No back country trips expected, however I am now set up for side country options, and am doing some reading and homework on avy safety etc.)

What I’ve loved in the past and can remember skiing: the Solly shogun worked really well for me in a 180 but wasn't the nimblest in tight trees. And my all time favorite was the 11/12 Rocker2. I skied it in a 180 mounted about -3 from center on my last trip 2 years ago at Revi and KH and while the ski was crazy easy to ski everywhere except at mach 10 where it felt real short at 180. If I would buy this model I would get the 184.

Now what I also have on my radar for the one ski big mountain resort quiver but have never skied are the following:

ON3P BG’s but only the RES models so if I get a 11/12 if will have to be in a 191, or if some crazy deal for a 12/13 model shows up, the 186 would be my choice in this model.
    The 187 Hojis, 186 Rens. and the 186 Bibby Pro's
    The 184 DPS 112RP would be nice but real hard to find at a good price.

I want to pull the trigger on a set of used pow/resort skis before the new year and this years trip. I don’t want to break the bank (and simply can't) as they will be used for only one multi day trip a year (unless we get dumped on in the east). I have only really tried (but loved ) the Rocker2 in the modern multy shape profiled skis. Should I just get a pair of the 11/12 Rocker2's or will the other skis mentioned be a good/better fit?

If you got a moment and could comment please give me your 2 cents on Rocker2 VS. ON3P BG’s VS. Hoji’s, VS. Rens VS. Bibby Pro's VS. 112RP and or any others that I may not have mentioned that would be a good fit

Cheers,

given the other skis, i would look at the RPC not the RP from DPS.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    given the other skis, i would look at the RPC not the RP from DPS.
    Good point, I forgot about the stiffer Wailer, and they can be had in a 186, but man those don't hit the gear swap often and as much as I think I'd like a DPS product, they keep their value somewhat better than the rest on the list and financially they may not be in the cards, unless someones feeling generous

Quote Originally Posted by canwilf View Post
    There is no ski that is going to do everything well. However, if you are willing to focus your fun on the trees, the pow, and the leftover semi-re-frozen shit in all the good places:

+ West Coast
    + Powder
    + Ski the whole mountain
    + Bad Knees
    + 190 lbs

=

ON3P Billy Goat 2012-13

On the other hand, the reality is that most people buy skis too wide in order to satisfy their massive TGR dick-waving egos. And maybe the weather won't align perfectly and you might even have to ski undesirably impenetrable frozen moisture of some kind. I would say a 100mm wide ski is the ideal west coast all-conditions ski, something stout with some rocker of course.
    Agreed, that an all mountain ski does all things equally poorly for the most part. Also agree that 100mm waist is pretty good for the most part as I found out with the Shoguns which I skied 2 year in a row, and i think were 100mm at the waist. I just loved the 115 wide Rocker2 that much more and found that the extra width combined its rocker, underfoot camber, and modern profile just killed it vs the 100mm experience with the Shoguns. Seams like the new designs allow you to go bigger underfoot without sacrificing too much performance on the run outs and groomers to the lifts.

Thanks for your input.

BTW I have a line on a 11/12 191 BG locally here in Toronto for a steal < $300 flat, but not sure I want that ski in that length, likely not as maneuverable as me and my knees would like in the trees, anybody finding their 12/13 186 BG's too short...

Still curious as to the others skis on the list as many of them seam to all be favorites among the collective here

Last year's (or any prior years) Bibby or Billy Goat in 186.

The Rens are going to require too much work and won't be great for what you need. Still a rad ski, but not what you're after.

I have the both the 191 BillyGoat and 190 Moment Bibby and for what you are looking for both skis in a 180 something length would get it done for you - no doubt... With that said and I know you did not mention this ski and if my quiver was not already full of overlap I would be getting a set of the Line 115 that EVO is blowing out right now for another 12 hrs for $322 shipped to your door... I demod the ski and I liked it alot... Railed groomers and with the 115 waist and tip rocker and slight tail rocker it should be a blast in soft snow... I did not find the ski demanding at all and no doubt it can get after it with metal... This ski brand new will be cheaper than any Billy or Moment used...

That is my $0.02...

Seems like the 186 Automatic would fit the bill too. Easy but more stable than the Rocker2.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    I have the both the 191 BillyGoat and 190 Moment Bibby and for what you are looking for both skis in a 180 something length would get it done for you - no doubt... With that said and I know you did not mention this ski and if my quiver was not already full of overlap I would be getting a set of the Line 115 that EVO is blowing out right now for another 12 hrs for $322 shipped to your door... I demod the ski and I liked it alot... Railed groomers and with the 115 waist and tip rocker and slight tail rocker it should be a blast in soft snow... I did not find the ski demanding at all and no doubt it can get after it with metal... This ski brand new will be cheaper than any Billy or Moment used...

That is my $0.02...
    Thanks for the input and the +1 vote on the Bibby's, The Line 115's where not on my radar but yes a sweet deal at $322 unfortunately its more like $430 USD to my door here in Canuckistan and at that price I'd prefer to be looking at a different ski.

Quote Originally Posted by sar13 View Post
    Seems like the 186 Automatic would fit the bill too. Easy but more stable than the Rocker2.
    Thanks man, forgot about the Automatics, and they are on my radar and as I understand it a pretty versatile pair of boards. Anybody second the Auto's over the Rocker2's and if so why?

You should take a good look at the Praxis GPO ski and the thread. Plenty of comparisons to both the BG 186 and the 112 RPC. They make a 182 and 187 too.

One or two of these is not like the others. R2 is playful, 112 is intermediate pow learner, renegade is charger. On3p is likely similar to my squad which rocks. Other than that the most versatile is renegade or on3p due to crud abilities. And yes I've skied all except on3p
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by canwilf View Post
    Praxis GPO looks like an interesting ski - a BG on a diet maybe. Does anybody know what the hell the graphic is? It looks like either a squid or a proton-neutron collision trace?

GPO = Great Pacific Octopus. So, maybe that?

GPO is a cross between squad 7 and megawatt. A very fun chargy ski that can be bought shorter. Also multiple flavors. The Octopus is a sweet graphic.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

M_R
    Like you I'm primarily EC with one or two (if i'm lucky) trips a year. The Praxis Concept is my everyday EC bushwacking pow hunting, bump bashing groomer zoomer. Edge hold is unreal on hard EC conditions, and its so fast to pivot in any 3d snow that the tightest EC trees are in play at speeds you wouldn't imagine. I'm not a big guy so I went with the 177 for EC and have never regretted it, however I know from experience I wanted something in the mid to upper 180s for trips with bigger terrain. I agonized over buying a Concept in a 187 or GPO 187. Went with the GPO, because the TGR and Keith's consensus is that it does a better job in pow and open spaces. Time will tell, but seriously check out Praxis GPO thread, it has some amazing ski knowledge in it and lots of comparisons to skis you're looking at.

If you are looking Billy Goat keep in mind that even the 186 is pretty long. They measure different than most companies. Personally for a guy with bad knees you'd be better off with a 180-183 BG but they don't make that size. Don't get the 191 for sure.

Didn't have the GPO on my radar at all. Spent some time going through the GPO thread and it did have some awesome info and they seam like a killer option, but not looking to and don't have the budget to buy new boards and its unlikely a used pair of the GPO shows up any time soon, but you never know. I'm guessing a 182 would be the way I would go with the Praxis option.

uglymoney, thanks for that info. I know for example the R2 skis and feels short in part because it is more centrally mounted. Your info on the BG's is important to know as I've been so tempted to jump on the 191 BG deal locally, but now likely won't, as you confirmed what I suspected, that 191 would feel and ski true to length and be on the long side for my 5 times operated, meniscus-less, half-oxford candidate right knee especially in tight trees.

So from the list could somebody confirm if the Automatics and Hoji's in a 186/7 ski true to length or are, as I'm guessing, more like the R2's and feel and ski shorter than lets say the BG's do at the same length, I'm hopping the 179 aren't suggested, but that might just be my "massive TGR dick-waving ego"

Why not the Salomon Rocker² 115 ? You mentioned the R² 122 (which have also a 115mm waist in 180 size) but the R² 115 is much more like the BG or Bibby's than the "full double rockered" R² 122.

Quote Originally Posted by sar13 View Post
    Most people say the opposite. I would say the Automatic and Rocker2 115 (Quest 115) are extremely similar skis and you can't go wrong with either. (I own one of them and I've skied them both back to back)

Quote Originally Posted by M_R View Post
    So from the list could somebody confirm if the Automatics in a 186/7 ski true to length or are, as I'm guessing, more like the R2's and feel and ski shorter than lets say the BG's do at the same length, I'm hopping the 179 aren't suggested, but that might just be my "massive TGR dick-waving ego"
    I have the 192? Autos as I have 10lbs on you. Very easy for me to ski and I am no TGR gnar hucking pro. So ya, the 186 could work for you, based on what you said about your knees and longer skis. On all these skis that have a bunch of tip rocker, they will feel short on firm snow, but once in powder they feel true to size, but the shape of the ski makes them so much easier to ski than an old school ski at 190. For the 186, I would want to weight in at 180lbs or less. If your heavier and buy the Autos, just get the 192. I seriously doubt it will stress your knees out skiing powder.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.