Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Nice work Huck

Here is one from a storm or 3 ago...

Jeremy Swanson is the photog.
    Thank GR!
    Nice shots as always. Tomorrow should be bomber!

A valley local and good friend of mine had his 185 Armada JJ's stolen from Highlands yesterday at the closing party. They're in good condition with (i think) orange STH16's on em. Holler if you see any for sale.

How was the closer?

I heard it was getting good at the end of the day on Ajax, from some softies that didn't want to get wet.

Buck off!

Skied the Ridge at 4 yesterday. Fun bumps; should be good!

I'm gonna post up on this thread while it's on the front...

A short video edit from March-April at Snowmass...
    "Yet Another Pow in the Wall" (3:30, GoPro, Greg Ross, Mike Cuseo)

What a day! Mt. was going off and Sky was insane!

Has anyone been up the road towards Pearl Pass/Montezuma Basin/Castle & Conundrum recently? Headed there this weekend, just wondering what snow coverage is like on the road right now, and if the gate on Castle Creek Road at Ashcroft is open or not. Figuring out the appropriate mode of transportation - 4x4, snowmobile, skins, boots, or some combination thereof.

Thanks!

Haven't been up that way specifically but I went up Express Creek road en route to Opa's hut over the weekend. We had to walk up Express Creek road for at least a mile before we could put our skins on and even then we had to take skis off several times and walk because the road was melted out. A buddy tried to get his dirt bike up there but didn't make it very far before he got stuck in a debris pile. I also would not recommend using a snowmobile. I'd say get your 4WD vehicle up as far as you can and then human powered skinning and walking is the way to go.

As far as the gate I am pretty sure it was open but I'll admit I wasn't looking closely. Hopefully someone else can confirm.
    Last edited by JaytaeMoney; 05-13-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Haven't been up that way specifically but I went up Express Creek road en route to Opa's hut over the weekend. We had to walk up Express Creek road for at least a mile before we could put our skins on and even then we had to take skis off several times and walk because the road was melted out. A buddy tried to get his dirt bike up there but didn't make it very far before he got stuck in a debris pile. I also would not recommend using a snowmobile. I'd say get your 4WD vehicle up as far as you can and then human powered skinning and walking is the way to go.

As far as the gate I am pretty sure it was open but I'll admit I wasn't looking closely. Hopefully someone else can confirm.
    I'm guessing that adrenalated was the other guy with the snowmobile on Friday. Our crew had two sleds with us as well, and we all got logjammed at the debris pile, but luckily were able to burrow a hole through to get the sleds up. All in all, I'd say the sleds were more hassle than they were worth, especially given the fact that the first mile is basically mud.

We stayed at the Friends Hut on Saturday night, and it was definitely sporty/ scary trying to get back over Pearl Pass - there was a random rapid warmup while it was still dumping snow, but with an intense sun glare. Lots of natural activity and loud thrashing noises all around us. Luckily it cooled down immediately after this so we could get out.

^^^How was the coverage overall? Spending 1 night at Green-Wilson and 4 nights at Friend's Memorial Day weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    ^^^How was the coverage overall? Spending 1 night at Green-Wilson and 4 nights at Friend's Memorial Day weekend.
    By the time, we left on Sunday it had dumped 12 inches+ plus at Green-Wilson and about the same over at Friends. Coverage up high is good to go. East Couloir off Castle was definitely on our hit list, but the weather didn't really want to cooperate to give us a window to tag it. I'd be psyched on your trip, just plan on some mud on your way in.

Stability from what I've heard has been really good as of late, but last weekend was definitely mid winter and hopefully this storm will keep the dust layer buried for a while.

I'm sure you know the route, but finding Pearl Pass to Friends was definitely interesting for us - just remember its further looker's left than you think! Some Aspen locals that we stayed with took the wrong saddle and ended up having to skin back up 2 hours to find the hut (we almost took the same route!)

^^^^Roger that, thanks for the beta! Now if I could just figure out this teleport thing for my beer.......

This thread's been quiet for awhile, but one of our guys did a profile on Graham Sparks & Grizzly Boards–Aspen-based custom ski maker–for the main site and thought the Aspen mags would enjoy: http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...tom-experience
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    This thread's been quiet for awhile, but one of our guys did a profile on Graham Sparks & Grizzly Boards ]
    Never heard of him. But I think I see him on the backside quite often. Solo all the time?

Wishing him the best of luck, making skis and skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Never heard of him. But I think I see him on the backside quite often. Solo all the time?

Wishing him the best of luck, making skis and skiing.
    Not sure what his deal is, but yeah, seems he's got some solitary programs going on...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

According to FB we have a lot of mutual friends but I don't think I have ever met the guy. Cool write up.