Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Looks like y'all are doin pretty decent for november, me and my gal are lookin at the teton valley in a couple years time, subscribin to this one.

brobrah was thumbing up at that last big pulloff on the left, w/dog, he'd just skied the claw. Asked him if he thought about skiing steep N faces after the last couple of incidents, he said he had, and that the claw was a lot lower elevation and less steep, ie safer. okey dokie.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Anyone skinning around the Ghee tomorrow?

Depends on whether the Pass gets hammered enough, or is sketchball. But I'll probably bootpack if I go to Targhee.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Just got.back home from a blustery trip up/ down targhee. Wind.from the sw but circling all around, created sensitive drifts and wind slab on a range of aspects. Bring your goggles!

Sent from my Milestone X2 using TGR Forums

hoping all the rigs with light bars are there for SAR training? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WYO22TetonPassEast.jpg 
Views:	607 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	144699
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    hoping all the rigs with light bars are there for SAR training? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WYO22TetonPassEast.jpg 
Views:	607 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	144699
    def training up there today in 2 % blowerbring your snorkel

Quote Originally Posted by passholer View Post
    def training up there today in 2 % blowerbring your snorkel
    Nice! Didja hit anything? Rocks etc? See any wind slab? Do tell.

Did anyone come across a piece of black pvc with a gopro still attached to it around the titty mouse ridge area on the south side of the pass yesterday?

Great refresher up on the Pass despite the funky layering going on. So wild going up Monday for dawn patrol still in a full moon night, catching sunrise, and then a lap of sparkly early morning pow before work with Skiersleft. On the same routine this morning, with the clouds socked in, it was pitch black and felt like we were doing something wrong, especially sans headlamps. South-facing stuff definitely grew a bit of a crust in the sun yesterday, which was topped with 2-4" of fresh depending on what the wind did. Lots of tracks but still plenty of fun skiing to be had if you don't mind crossing a few tracks.

Tasher1007 tough luck... haven't been in that area though.
    Last edited by WaistDeepGroomers; 11-19-2013 at 07:46 PM.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

After a lot of analysis and thought, I finally ventured back into steep north facing aspects (8,700') today off the south side of teton pass. We found the same facets/hoar near the ground as we had 10 days ago (NNE aspect at 10,000) but better stability. Our ECT score rendered a 27 with a Q3 shear, where as our previous ECT score came out at 25 with a disturbing Q1 shear near the ground.

The skiing was awesome! Best turns of the year so far. One of my partners banked off a natural lip and ski cut it right at the sweet spot, releasing a small 10" soft slab which lightly sloughed into the main chute.

5 Skiers and a small/localized release had no effects on the main path of this chute. We also observed no signs of instabilities other then that small slough release. I think bridger-teton is right on with their warning of deeper instabilities above 9,000 on Northerly aspects. Tomorrow I plan on digging a NNE aspect pit off the summit of Glory and will report back with the deetz.

Cheers
    to ski another day

Thanks for the detailed updated Tarbs!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Excellent skiing and a nice solid mid-elevation snowpack west of the pass today. Coming straight down nice and warm all day, great base builder. To me it's actually a great early season snowpack.

I'll continue to avoid North facing steep above 9000'.

This should be fun Saturday Night:
    http://planetjh.com/2013/11/19/cultu...eres-saturday/

Concurred panchosdad. Tomorrow morning looks DEEP
    to ski another day

anyone heading over to the opening at targhee tomorrow and have room for two? would gladly help chip in for gas and apres beer. cheers!

It feels good to be skinning again

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	day5_edelweiss.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	164.1 KB 
ID:	145128

It was cold.
    It was dark.
    It was creamy, faaaaast powder.
    (epic stoke, brah! No time for pictures during the feeding frenzy)

To those of you on the fence, it was really, really good. Could have been mid january. Get some.

on the fence? For what, tomorrow? With no fresh, subzero temps, and half of Idaho Falls? No brah, not on the fence at all on that one...today would've been the day...

Hey, for some folks, Saturday/Sunday is the only option. Just spreading the word that base is excellent, and even if its just groomers, it's going to be better than any other day after opening day in Targhee history.
    I don't work for them.

no crowds,

Felt like AK snow

Cold smoke

Familiar faces

Great way to kickoff the season at Grand Targhee

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    on the fence? For what, tomorrow? With no fresh, subzero temps, and half of Idaho Falls? No brah, not on the fence at all on that one...today would've been the day...
    Glass way more than half empty.

I second that targhee was great yesterday. Played hooky from the office and it was worth it. Temps were supposed to be really cold but an inversion made it quite nice. Lots of people in the early morning line but then there was basically no lift line after the initial rush and we were still finding quasi fresh after lunch. Not much showing thru there either- the base is good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Afternoon chopped pow.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	900.2 KB 
ID:	145202

Little conditions report from the AAI folks.

"The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Damn that is intense. At least the quantity of skier compaction off the pass since Thursday should keep weak layers on all other aspects and elevations completely disassembled . Got a fun dawn patrol in this am, mostly to watch the sunrise but still found some fun pow. See everyone at the vil tomorrow morning...