Cocoa Beach FL in January

It's cheap to fly to FL mid january. Mrs Chief wants to get away for a bit. I want to try and learn to surf.

I did some internet searching and could probably get a lesson from Ron Jon surf shop, and then try and figure out the rest.

What I can't figure out if there will be surf in January and if the water will be cold.r Should I just resign myself to drinking heavily?
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

PM Ripzalot. It's his home turf.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

the air can be warm but surf temps will be getting in the mid to low 60s. central FL is normally as far south as the freeze level goes so it can be freezing too. surf can be really good in the winter, north swells and clean barrels sometimes. the best waves are a little south of CB but but for a learner, doesn't matter. the waves around CB pier and south of there will be fine for learning. take a lesson or just rent a longboard (and a wetsuit) and go at it. maybe even a SUP would be fun to paddle around in small surf and help with learning. otherwise, kitesurfing lessons on the indian river, deep sea fishing from the port, check out NASA, kayak tours around merritt island, etc. good seafood at port canaveral, good mexican food down in south CB (Taco City) and satellite beach (DaKine Diegos).
    Last edited by Ripzalot; 09-23-2013 at 08:16 AM.

Go down to the inlet and tell every one you rip harder than kelly.

Considering the desire for warm water, you might want to head further south. Miami does not have nearly as good as surf, but it will pick up the north swells that can sneak in there. And the water is a lot warmer. And there is night life. Just a thought.

Here's a water temp guide for Cocoa Beach. http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/...h-Pier/seatemp. I guess I'm not a huge Cocoa Beach fan...a little too spring breaky for me, but it could work for what you are looking for. A couple of questions are what do you want to do besides surf? Me, when I go to FL, I stay in the water...surfing, swimming, fishing, bodysurfing etc. I could care less about restaurants, museums etc. Also, will you have a can with board racks? This will determine where you can go surfing. If you going to rent a board and walk to the beach, you are a bit limited. Also, if you want to stay in the water as long as possible, get yourself a 3/2. Re: learning to surf, start swimming and work on you dry land pop up. How comfortable are you in the ocean? Do big fish freak you out?

I don't get freaked out about fish.

Wife wants to relax, I relax by letting gravity induced activities beat the piss out of me.

We'll Probably get a car with a board rack wife will want to sup I'd like to try surf sup and just good old fashioned long boarding

I Have a full length wetsuit and a shorty

I'll practice the popup

Will I catch anything if i bring a 6wt fly rod and wooly buggers or pike streamers?

Might go see a flying museum isn't Kermit weeks around.

Would camping a night on the beach be worthwhile. Maybe cape Canaveral? Otherwise Planning on just renting a place for the week

We Chose cocoa beach because we can fly to Orlando for real cheap as opposed to anywhere else we might get warm and sunny weather. We can handle a bit of chill I kayak in the winter and am from mt living in wv which sea colder at times

Open to other options as long as we aren't in the car all day

Yeah. That stretch of coast is pretty sharky.

How much more is a flight to PR?

If you are looking for any kin of night life the Miami area would be better in that regard.

Personally I prefer the Melbourne zone. Generally better surf and not much else to do. Which is great. And cheaper lodging.

Not sure about "mellow" breaks there though. I've always been searching for barrels in that zone.

And I. Winter I wore a 3/2 there. Miami was quite a but warmer

SuperChief, We went to Cape Canaveral last Feb. and I loved it... but I'm a child of the 50's.

It's a little tacky/depressing at the visitor center, but out on launch pad 39 and at the Saturn V display, it was very cool. You should look into pre buying tickets and also pay for the launch pad tour. We had lunch with one of the astronauts, but that was kind of a joke... I'd pass.

Some Feb. surf at Vero Beach:

Last edited by BigDaddy; 09-24-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Just read you recent post...

+1 on cape canaveral. went as a kid. awesome stuff.

I know nothing about fishing, but I know that Sebastian Inlet is pretty popular for casting.

North side is one of the better waves around. Tight bowl. South side, if memory serves correctly, could be a good SUP wave. Long, slow, rolling stuff. RCs could be fun on a smaller day, or even out in front of Ron Jon. At least where RJ was a few decades ago. I bet if you talk to the rental guy, they could suggest some goos learning spots and fishing spots. I think everyone down there fishes.

If the weather is real cool, you can always day trip south to warmer waters and beaches.

Are actual waves important? Have you considered the Gulf coast? Tends to stay quite a bit warmer over there.

Trip is still in planning stages, We've pretty much decide Orlando because the airfare for two is under 400.00 with all fees included. PR is double, thats where I was holding out for. I'm also trying to plan a ski vacation to UT or MT late february, so I can't blow my wad all at once.

Waves are important, I want to learn to surf, otherwise I'll be bored out of my mind. I guess the kind of waves isn't what experienced guys are looking for. I'll probably be happy with knee to waist high waves or whatever necessary to learn on. I'm thinking something like green ski runs to get a feel and then move to blue squares and then try a black diamond so I can get my ass handed to me when I need to get humbled. I suppose I run the risk of a no surf week and will resort to maybe kite surfing sup'ing and fishing.

Night life isn't important to me, but My wife does enjoy trying different places to eat. We stayed a week in Nashville last year and she got alot of satisfaction googling ethnic restaurants and other foody type places to try out. She isn't really into dance clubs and loud music.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

Too me, location would be dependent on weather you want to be able to walk around town or not. I suggest being able to walk to the beach. That part of Florida is a little wierd in that there really are not that many towns on the beach. Being on the island or not is a big difference. I try to never leave Huttchinson Island. If you want in town I'd suggest Melbourne Beach/ Indiatlantic over Cocoa. If you're OK with being a little out of town a motel on the beach would be sweet. Example http://seaviewmelbourne.com/Home.html

Remember that not all lodging options are cool with you putting your 10' log inside. It will be a pain in the ass is you have to rent everytime you want to surf. Also the surf shops open late/ close early which isn't real good for sunrise sunset sessions.

Fishing is great down there both on the Atlantic and in the Indian River. You'll want some different flys but you'll be able to hook into something on a 6 weight.

If you are going to get a car with racks, just rental a motel room at a place with a pool right on the beach. Cruise A1A between Cocoa Beach and Fort Pierce and you'll keep busy.

As for a rack, just buy a soft rack and throw it in your luggage, then you can rent a compact and be done with it. Throw a towel down under the boards if you are worrying about damage to the roof. Don't leave your boards on the rack in the sun. Bad for the boards. I would be reluctant to l;eave boards on my car overnight as well, but that is just me not trusting humanity.

As an ex-resident/surfer of that area for almost 20 years I can't in good conscience recommend a real surf trip there.....BUT....you are a never ever/beginner then?
    Given that then it's not so bad I guess.
    You'll be learning the basics on a fun shape type board, so a week straight of 2 foot crumblers might actually be fine.

For short board surfing about the only thing consistent there is inconsistency but I'll skip the bitching and why I chose to become landlocked.

I'd skip the corporate Ron Jons school, some alternatives:

Former local ASP Pro Todd Holland's place:
    http://www.schoolofsurf.org/

Local shaper Tom Neilson's school, not sure if he does anything in the Winter:
    http://www.neilsonsurfcamp.com/

Also if you ever wanted to try kite surfing the Indian River/Banana river there are great to learn on:
    http://www.321kiteboarding.com/

Water temps are around lower 60's typically.
    Camping is actually tolerable in January there, I'd recommend camping at Sebastian Inlet State Park down in the south part of the county. Since you are beginner I wouldn't recommend surfing it but you can also see the punchy famous surf break there, if the waves are actually decent you can see some really good surfing very close to shore. For boatless fishing to target big fish, that's the spot.