Julien Lopez Gets Buried and Dug Out (Youtube Clip)

Huge slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Julien Lopez in Youtube Comments
    Lost of comments about the ABS, I had one but as i was trying to get out of the avalanche first and safe i didn't pull it. But after my crash i pulled it a little bite to late and i was already under the snow. The ABS saved my life by keeping me not to deep. We ll post a better explication on my website soon.
    I think I saw or heard him say that he was in Chamonix. My French is pretty rusty, anybody feel like providing a general paraphrased translation of what he says at the beginning and end of the clip?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I could just be totally not getting it, but is there a reason you'd just drop in like that with no ski cuts or pits? Seems like it was a hair trigger, not a deep layer.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    but is there a reason you'd just drop in like that with no ski cuts or pits?
    yes, he had an airbag. no need for ski cuts or pits with airbags. just drop in and pull cord

glad he's ok

rog

spook Guest
    i thought he had it made. i didn't see anything in particular that made him eat it though it looked like it might be a little choppy right there.

spook Guest
    a little rise at high speed followed by a small trough too much to absorb?

The interesting thing about this video is that he almost out runs it...
    Given the quality of the footage they were clearing filming for some kind of movie.
    My guess is that he knew it would rip - but maybe not so big....
    If he had escaped would we all be whooping, cheering and slapping him on the back for a rad run ?

5 minutes under the snow is a long time.
    He was lucky (and says so himself in french)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Skier View Post
    almost
    If he had escaped would we all be whooping, cheering and slapping him on the back for a rad run ?
    he did look pretty calm and cool once off/ahead of the slab. then karma gave him a lil warning.

rog

He starts of with a bit of a Mastercard moment,

"I was lucky, very lucky... In the mountains you ride with a beacon, probe, shovel, and airbag. Having friends that are trained and able to find you and try dig you out in 15 min is indispensable. But unfortunately the statics show that 25% you will already be dead, crushed by the pressure of the avalanche, a horrible sensation, almost indescribable. I was lucky, very lucky. I don't wish this on anyone what happened to me that day. So Ride smart, think about your approach, and think"

and cue brown shorts avalanche...

After the avalanche he's basically describing how he straight lined out the avalanche, was stressed took knees in face a la tomahawk and then had time to turn around and see the first wall coming toward him, hits him and he thinks not so bad Then the second wall hit him. He covered his mouth and tried to slow his breathing down.

"It wasn't for today."

Turn closed captioning (CC button) on on youtube and there are English subtitles.

Cool won't be doing that again, cheers coldfeet

Incredible display of athleticism and professionalism. Glad he is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    Turn closed captioning (CC button) on on youtube and there are English subtitles.
    Doh. Thanks for the tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Fuck it I'll say it, you have professional guides and no one is able to predict an all elevations and all visible aspects high avy danger???

They might want to turn in their card. jeesh. Im glad he lived, hes a radical skier.

First hard turn like that on a seemingly recently loaded/windloaded steep unsupported unanchored slope surrounded by terrain traps (cliffs) is not my idea of minimising avalanche risk. But then, he's paid to do those things and chooses to do it and makes his own judgements of terrain v.s. snow on the day.

Every viewer will get something different from that unique footage, depending on their biases.

The sympathetic slab to lookers right just as he crashes gave me a shiver.
    Last edited by neck beard; 09-23-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Fuck it I'll say it, you have professional guides and no one is able to predict an all elevations and all visible aspects high avy danger???

They might want to turn in their card. jeesh. Im glad he lived, hes a radical skier.
    Isn't that an occupational hazard if you are a pro skier? I've seen a couple interviews talking about how they ski on high danger days on the reg.

I think it was in verbier, last april.
    See here.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Isn't that an occupational hazard if you are a pro skier? I've seen a couple interviews talking about how they ski on high danger days on the reg.
    The camera's the biggest heuristic trap there is.

Stomp the slope, that thing would have gone for sure, no need to test airbag.

was he really buried for 5 minutes? there was no camera footage of the avalanche after things settled and they fast forwarded to a guy cleaning of his chest cam while he is sitting on top of the debris right next to the heli, either already pulled out of a hole or he came to rest on top or just partially buried.
    nonetheless i'm glad he's ok.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    The sympathetic slab to lookers right just as he crashes gave me a shiver.
    My first thought as well.

... Well, that and when it looked like he was going to make it, knowing the outcome, "I wonder how he's going to manage to screw this up". The fall had to be the worst feeling ever.

I watched the part from 1:40 to 1:50 without the sound many, many, times for science. Coulda speed checked on the way down. The part where he jumps that uphill facing crown to get out ahead just as it all starts moving is also cool. Euros are killin it.

It sure would have made for an epic ski cut right at the crest! FKNA! A class 3-4 ski cut!

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post

URL].
    Last edited by jumpturn; 12-21-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Theres a lethal line between reading a forecast and heeding a forecast.
    long live the jahrator