Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ergon Grips?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Ergon Grips?

Anyone use these? I am looking at the GS1. Other than looking pretty dumb, does anyone know if these help those with bad/weak thumbs? I feel like that with the "paddle" part under my fingers/palm I could ease a bit of the pressure on my haggard right thumb. I have only been able to ride about 7 miles if its really rough baby head stuff before my thumb is on fire. I am running out of options here. I like to run a thin grip since I can hang on better with the rest of my hand. I have been liking ODI ruffians. The downside is that they have like ZERO padding. Most of the soft/padded grips have a large diameter and don't seem to be as grippy. Large diameter at the thumb = no bueno for me.

I have the GA1 on my trail bike and prefer them over the Rogues I've used forever.

Have 'em, luv 'em.

ODI Rogue 130mm are extra big and have more padding. Seemed very grippy for me. Where do you run your brakes? I have found that running my levers really close into the grips so that I can comfortably have 1 finger on without sacrificing any real grip has helped with my comfort (and less shoulder strain).

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Anyone use these? I am looking at the GS1. Other than looking pretty dumb, does anyone know if these help those with bad/weak thumbs? I feel like that with the "paddle" part under my fingers/palm I could ease a bit of the pressure on my haggard right thumb. I have only been able to ride about 7 miles if its really rough baby head stuff before my thumb is on fire. I am running out of options here. I like to run a thin grip since I can hang on better with the rest of my hand. I have been liking ODI ruffians. The downside is that they have like ZERO padding. Most of the soft/padded grips have a large diameter and don't seem to be as grippy. Large diameter at the thumb = no bueno for me.

Do you only ride your bike to be trendy, or are you actually concerned about your own comfort and not what others might think of you?

If you have worn out hands, Ergons are the best. Unlike most grips, you can also get them in a couple of sizes. Ergons work well because there is actually a platform for your palm to rest on, instead of all the pressure being in a tangent line to the bars. The grips also narrow down at the thumb and become mostly round at that point.

Because of my very large hands, I usually ride gloveless. This becomes more difficult with traditional round grips.

i love mine. i've had some carpal tunnel surgeries over the years and the grips are a tremendous relief. i use the large size. you will not notice the lack of padding. the platform for your palm more than makes up for it.

i wish they made a road bar.

They were put on my new SS, and I have the GP2. Not sure if I like them really. I do like railing on the bar ends on steep climbs, but I could just use bar ends. Yes I have riser bars, so the bar ends will look so dorky, but fuck off.

I like the way my palm rests on there, but it does limit your hand position in a way, since you can't rotate your palms down. Whatever. They're heavy. I may go back to the ultra light silicone grips I usually use, (that I have on my 2 other bikes). Not life changers for me.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Love mine. Only grips I can use without hands going numb.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Love mine but I am mostly a XC/trail rider. Run the ones with bars ends on my SS. on flatbars so apparently i am not as dorky as plugboots :P

Have 'em, love 'em. Super comfortable for long rides. Someone suggested that you can run the small version to get more of your hand around them if you're worried about grip, but I've never had a problem with grip.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

only grips i use. found them to be a huge advantage riding lifts. no more hand fatique, numbness, wrist soreness. love em.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

As others have said, they're the only thing I can use. Rode a day with Odi grips recently so my wife could try my Gs1 grips and I was hurting. I also run a salsa promoto 11 deg sweep bar which helps a lot and still gives plenty of control. Probably switch it to carbon soon after reading Marshall's article in Blister. I turn the grips as high up as I can without feeling like I'll slide off the fronts. One thing though, they suck if you're bare handed and it's wet or sweaty. Total sketch balls.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Love 'em! I actually take a pair with me to bike demos and hope the bikes I want to ride have lock on grips so I can take them off and put my Ergon grips on. When I "have to" ride a bike without them I usually come away with mixed feelings about the bike because my hands hurt...

Cant use them. Feels like I'm going to slide off on downhills. I'm in the minority for xc trail riders though. As mentioned here people love 'em. I just cant do it. Most of my riding partners use and swear by them. I use non-winged Ergon grips on my distance bike though. Not sure of the model but the are the ones with the bulge in the middle. Works for me.

I hate these things. IMHO, grips should be grippy & firm, no matter what angle you are holding onto them -- my favorites are still the Yeti logo grips, because I've never had my hands slip when using them.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I like the shape of the GS-1 alright, but the texture doesn't work well for me. They get slick after a while.

luv me sum ergons
    watch out for snakes

Always have issues with numb hands and fingers on longer descents, to the point where I have to stop. This thread has talked me into ordering a set.

I have some specialized grips that are a bit smaller, but they look the same.
    I used to get numb hands, and the new grips seem to help.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

^^Too soft and shaped for comfort not performance.

I'm with el chup. Yeti logos are the grippiest grips ever to be gripped

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TGR Forums

For grip maybe but I've been beating my hands up for a decade (or two ) too many. I used to have terrible problems with my hands but can ride for hours now with hardly an issue. Tingly fingers and weakness have become a thing of the past with the new support grips, I think my shoulders and neck are happier too. I have different types on different bikes, firm and supportive for mt and cushier for street, but it's always about support.

F'ing SOLD! Did 15 fast miles today with no pain. They do feel potentially slippy with sweaty gloves late in a ride, but nothing to worry about.

GS-1's work ok for free ridey stuff or would the GA-1 Evo be the way to go. The GS-1's look to offer more support. I broke my ulna in April and since I've been back on the bike I get numb fingers and palm on the side I broke. Could be it's just not built up, but until then I figure I'll try a pair.