Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    I guess I'll be shooting some video, need to start thinking about that too, although editing video is not my idea of a fun time and I have no skills whatsoever at that.
    If you're a Windows person, Windows Live Movie Maker does a nice job, and is pretty intuitive, and free.

The best software can't make up for crappy footage, and staying on a single shot for too long gets boring. Try to shoot your subjects from multiple angles; left to right, right to left, coming towards, going away from, and try to let your shots have a natural conclusion; i.e. skier skis out of frame. Repeating shot after shot from the same angle, even with different skiers, becomes monotonous. IMO, this is one of the biggest challenges with editing GoPro footage, and why it really helps to have some static shots, or different perspectives, or even the dreaded pole-cam, follows, etc., to choose from.

Sorry if this is re-hash info. I've seen some of your stills, and you obviously know your way around a camera. Just some tricks I've picked up over the years that make editing a whole lot less frustrating a process.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Video taping training sessions has some different requirements than making a smooth edit for enjoyable consumption. You actually want to shoot each of the skiers doing the same line, from the same angle, preferably multiple times. While monotonous, it allows for good analysis of each skier, especially if you either superimpose or bring up two skiers side by side.

One of the techniques used in video analysis of racers is also useful even if you don't have a camera. Pick a short run that can be lapped quickly, but has some challenge. Pick a spot that will allow you to watch each skier coming through one at a time. As they ski down to you, pick one thing to have them work on for the next lap.

If you have a camera, shoot it, and the skier can even watch that piece when they get to you.
    Living vicariously through myself.

^This is why I'd make a terrible coach; any evidence of mediocrity (especially my own) must be immediately destroyed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

I was lucky enough to have spent time in two clubs that have pretty spectacular track records for developing young talent: The Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club and Kanu Schwaben Augsberg. Although most people on this board will probably know about the SS Winter Sports Clubs record (79 Olympians in disciplines as diverse as alpine, jumping, XC and freestyle) unless you are a competitive paddler, you may not know about Kanu Schwaben Augsberg which as produced winners of five Olympic medals (three gold, two silver) and hundreds of world, European and German championship medals in whitewater slalom, downriver and freestyle.

One thing that both of these clubs offered that I think was part of their success in junior development was offering kids a chance to be around top notch talent while they were training, competing and just hanging out. These people provide to kids not only a measuring stick but role models. My only suggestion would be to take as many opportunities as possible in your program to be around the most talented skiers you can find, be they competitors or not. Just doing a run or two with somebody who is at the top of the game can often make a big difference. Sometimes when kids see that someone with a background not that different than theirs made it to the top, it can provide motivation. In other cases, when they see what goes into getting to the top, in terms of training and dedication, they will discover that this may not be their cup of tea after all, and will step away before becoming burned out.
    "I just want to thank everyone who made this day necessary." -Yogi Berra