Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thailand travel advice needed

I searched, but most of the info seemed to centered around the beach, which will probably be a small part of the trip. The plan is to go for a couple of weeks next spring, sometime in the March/April timeframe. I know we want to spend several days at the beach, somewhere with the limestone cliffs and clear water. Nightlife is not needed but good activities are (snorkeling, kayaking, hiking etc.). Koh Phi Phi looks good but the internets seem to suggest that the gulf side may be drier that time of year?

We also want to see Angor Wat in Cambodia and have considered taking the sleeper train to Chaing Mai as well, and of course a couple of days in Bangkok. Too much for two weeks? Any suggestions on places to stay or things to see and what beach/island to visit is appreciated. Probably traveling around the country by train and bus instead of flying if that influences things.

use a condom and the local girls dont really love you, they say that to everyone
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

beware of local girls, expect to see way fewer local boys.
    eat some local food
    b

Hugh Conway Guest
    If you've only two weeks - fly Air Asia or the like, the budget airlines are cheap and get you where you want to go. Nothing wrong with the buses/trains, cept they are slow and won't save you that much money on a short trip. They are a people watching experience of the kind most people on TGR don't like (and were a bit grungy). There are/were more hassles/scams at the train stations. The Chaing Mai overnight was/is supposed to be the pride of the system though, so it might be better than the other ones I've ridden.

Koh Phi Phi was a tourist ridden dump. Pretty island; but hidden under shit imo, crowded, overpriced, polluted, just crushed under the tourists of which there were many of "Do you have any Chardonnay? bitchy sorostitute". many people agree with me on that, or you can think its jaded hugh. if you want something more active- rai lay? dunno, so much of beach thailand is built up. On the gulf side, koh tao was decent enough for diving/beaching. smaller/quieter/than some of the others. Avoid Koh Phangan anywhere near the full moon unless you like douchey drunk kids

If you aren't going to be in the area again - go to Angkor Wat/Phnom Penh/Luang Prabang/other major things to see. Angkor Wat is well worth a couple days. Phnom Penh has changed much since I went, but the Palaces were interesting, the Killing Fields intense. Dunno, all of the sites at the countries around Thailand stand out much more than anything I've ever seen (aside from some stunning women on the beach) in Thailand. YMMV, yada, yada. Hiking wise - the area around Sapa in Northern Vietnam is stunning. The karst in Laos would be awesome, but I've no idea what's available for "hiking"

In Bangkok - the grand palace (crowded - thought Phnom Penh's were at the time cooler because quieter), the markets, the new malls, for an odd experience - the Horse Races. Thai men smoking, drinking whiskey and gambling. Eat lots of street food, it's fantastic in BKK. Well, there's fantastic food everywhere in BKK and most of Thailand aside from restaurants in tourist resorts where you'll have to twist their arm to make it spicy.. and it won't be hot at all. Luxury hotels/decent hotels are pretty cheap in BKK; backpackers dives are relatively expensive.

I spent a month roaming the beaches of Thailand.

IME, the Andaman side is preferable to the gulf side.

On the Gulf Side-

Koh Toa is ok. I wish I had been able to go to Mu Ko Ang Thong National Park.

On the Andaman Side-

Koh Lipe in the far South was beautiful. Definitely a great little island. Just enough things to do and different things to eat to stay busy for a week. I took days to get there by bus. I just remember traveling for so damn long on a Thai bus. My friends I was traveling with were pretty stupid about stuff like that- I'm sure there was a nicer air conditioned bus that cost like $2 more and would save 10 hours, but they were deadset on traveling the "local" way.

Tarutao National Park (also way South) was incredible. Very few people. Empty, beautiful beaches. Little government run bungalows. Pretty bad food, but totally worth checking out.

Railay is cool, but overrun with Europeans. Nearby Tonsai is just as beautiful (you can walk to Railay), but with a more laid back vibe. Don't stay close to the water in Tonsai- lots of people have gotten sick from contaminated water. Stay up the hill and you'll be better off.

I went to Phuket and stayed at a major resort way outside of town. It was really nice, but the resort could have been anywhere in the world. People who stayed there weren't exposed to anything truly Thai- just a catered resort experience.

Everyone I met that had been to the Similan or Surin Islands talked said that they were the best beach locations in the country. Apparently they are (or were in '09) far enough off the beaten path to be very uncrowded. When I go back, that's definitely where I'm going. Do some Google image/trip advisor searches for these places. They look great.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Kevo's definitely got better beta. I dunno, guess it's how much work/what are you looking for? As said, many of the resorts you could be anywhere; imo if you are going to work for going out of the way... I'd do it elsewhere, but that's me. like most of the major SEAsian destinations there's an insane range of services/prices you can pay.

I didn't get to Myanmar because I couldn't get a Visa in a reasonable length of time (they all wanted weeks). It's much less visited than Thailand and now opening/opened/many things are a go, so it's probably more prisitine than anything you'd find, and it'll change quickly <- it's where I'd like to go. There's the temples of Bagan, some islands/beaches whatever, would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Too much for two weeks?
    Yes it is. Trying to fit Chang Mai + Cambodia + Bangkok + Beach will leave you really thin.

If you must do it on two weeks then the southern beaches that Kevo mentioned are out. For beaches you'll need to stick close to places that have airports (except maybe the gulf coast destinations). Phuket and Samui both have airports right on them, Krabi on the mainland has direct ferry connections to a bunch of places that Hugh mentioned (Railay, Tonsai, Phi Phi). Hugh is spot on regarding Phi Phi being overbuilt and fucked up, but on your timeline it may be the ticket since everything is walking distance and it has most of the activities you mentioned. Make sure you stay up the hill though since the bars on the beach (west side) blast music well into the night.

For the gulf side your options are more limited - I really liked the north side (Mae Haad) of Koh Phangan, it was laid back and hassle free. It's also a short ferry ride from Samui.

Tao, Samui and Phangan are really your only options if your heart is set on taking the train. You can take the night train down to Surat Thani and then take the catamaran service from there (the company is called Lomphraya, and operates both the bus from the station and the ferry so you won't have missed connection issues). The ticket agents at Hualamphong can sell you a combination Night Train->Catamaran ticket to any of Tao, Phangan, or Samui.

As for which side will have the best weather? I'd wing it and book the flight or train from Bangkok the day before or day of. Accommodations rarely have to be pre-booked unless it's #1 on Trip advisor (which means expensive). Just choose and plan for an island on each side before hand. Even last minute flights are cheap on Air Asia, or Bangkok Airways (for Samui/Phangan).

For the inland stuff on 2 weeks, I'd stay close to Bangkok and not stretch myself too thin. There's enough to do and see in that city alone to occupy at least 3 or 4 days. Don't forget that Ayutthaya is only a 15 baht train ride to the north where the ancient capitol ruins are. Try to get there at sunrise - no crowds and the red in the bricks really stands out.
    Last edited by Shaggy; 09-16-2013 at 12:04 AM. Reason: The train is actually an option on the gulf side.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.

I did the 4 places you mention 4-5 years ago no problem in 15 days. Siem Reap for 3 days, chang mai 3 days, Bangkok 3 days, and Phuket for 6 days.

Check Royal Thai Air for an airpass. Something cheap in which you get 3-4 segments for a fixed price like $250-$350? I did the Bangkok-Siem Reap-Bangkok-Phuket-Bangkok route for that. Flew to Chang Mai (since Royal thai didn't fly there) for <$100 RT on Budget Air Asia (watch baggage weight its less that others).

In Phuket we did nothing but dive for 5 full days. I think the whole trip was <$3500 including the $800+ worth of diving, private guides and drivers in Cambodia for 2 days, in Chang Mai for 2days for 2 people in regular mid-priced hotels.

Only Regret was not going to Phnem Peng for a couple days, but diving was more important to us.

Skip the train....you spend a lot of money and time to get over to Thailand, fly everywhere and spend the time on fun rather than commuting the slow way on a dirty train....even if its an overnight one. You will rest better in a hotel.

Wow, lots of good info from here. Hugh, after a bit of reading on Phi Phi, people seem to agree with you that it is a tourist trap/dump. There is hope for you, you are not overly jaded.

So, more of the plan is that we plan to get married at whatever beach we go to and we want to do that first and then travel on to see things. So if I am going to do the brainless tourist thing anywhere, it would be the beach at the first of the trip so as to reduce stress. That being said, we are not resort people. I would rather go to a pool and eat at Chili's than fly halfway around the world to do the same and pretend I am in the U.S. The advice to wait and look at the weather before deciding which side of the peninsula to go to is probably sound, except we need to plan the whole wedding thing in advance. Railay/Tonsai beach is looking interesting. I'll continue to listen to the advice of those here though.

The royal Thai airlines airpass is a great deal and I'll look into that. If I could fly to Vietnam and then work my way back to Bangkok I would probably skip Chiang Mai. Lots to see and so little time. Anyway, thanks for the advice so far, it is definitely driving decisions.

I searched, but most of the info seemed to centered around the beach, which will probably be a small part of the trip. The plan is to go for a couple of weeks next spring, sometime in the March/April timeframe. I know we want to spend several days at the beach, somewhere with the limestone cliffs and clear water. Nightlife is not needed but good activities are (snorkeling, kayaking, hiking etc.). Koh Phi Phi looks good but the internets seem to suggest that the gulf side may be drier that time of year?

We also want to see Angor Wat in Cambodia and have considered taking the sleeper train to Chaing Mai as well, and of course a couple of days in Bangkok. Too much for two weeks? Any suggestions on places to stay or things to see and what beach/island to visit is appreciated. Probably traveling around the country by train and bus instead of flying if that influences things.

*CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* ....for a Bachelor party of one of my Aussie college buds. We arrived at BKK airport and proceeded to Nana Plaza, which would be our home for the next 5 nights..... *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* ..."Annie's Soapy Massage" was highly recommended to us and conveniently right next door to our hotel. We went up to our fishbowl, selected the freshest looking 20yo meat and went to the VIP suites...*CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* ....and my eyes rolled back in my head like a Great White Shark as she proceeded to.... *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* ....then we made it to Nana Entertainment Plaza at some point in the night. Oh my God, these hot hot little Thai girls with their tight toned little bods gyrating on the dance floor were in full force.... *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* and we rolled back to the suite to continue the party there as "Belle" and "Nam" stripped each other naked and proceeded to lick each other out in front of the entire crew..... Unable to resist the urge any longer, I dropped my pants and *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* Holy shit! We have 4 more days in this Poon paradise? *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* .... getting a blow job under the table of the the VIP section *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* Having done Angelwitch, Rainbow1-4, and Hilary's in Nana Plaza, we moved onto Soi Cowboy the next night *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* then we ended up with a gaggle of Playboy-centerfold looking hot Thai chicks at Insomnia club where this idiot chick stated a cat fight with another chick and we were surrounded by Thai guys wielding clubs, broken bottles, and anything that was not bolted to the ground..... *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* and I yelled "DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY!!!" which seemed to appease the officer in charge of the Riot Police that quickly surrounded the establishment. *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED* *CENSORED**CENSORED* *CENSORED* then got the fuck out of there.

Holy fuck...Bangkok is like the equivalent of an AK ski trip with bangin ho's. That place is insane.

So, more of the plan is that we plan to get married at whatever beach we go to
    That changes things. Generally speaking pretty much all of the islands have off-the-path beaches that are either boat-only (longtail) access or long-road access. The accommodations on these range from luxury resorts to low-cost beach huts. Sometimes there is both options on the same beach. These beaches typically leave behind the going reputation of the island they're on.
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.

Or you could go on the SuPu plan and hit up Pattaya, then spend the rest of the time watching DVDs at a guest house on Khao San.

... Although getting chased down a Khao San soi by hookers at 5:00am on Christmas morning did make for a story....

What is all this CENSORED shit???? Back in the day we would have at least got a pic of a semi crazed SuPu cradling an AR 15.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Or you could go on the SuPu plan and hit up Pattaya, then spend the rest of the time watching DVDs at a guest house on Khao San.
    I guess since they shutdown tubing in Vang Vieng you can't get baked and watch family guy all day there anymore?

what shaggy said r.e. beaches. There's also a number of nice beaches in Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    I guess since they shutdown tubing in Vang Vieng you can't get baked and watch family guy all day there anymore?
    Guess not. It's unfortunate that it took a lot of young people getting killed on a routine basis to force a crack down. My understanding is that tubing is still allowed, it was just the bars on the river that got pulled down? They were the problem, IMO.

I was in VV in 2011 and can say it was a complete mess. Two kids died on the river while I was there. But, the climbing was good, and biking around on the other side of the river was a stark contrast to the insanity that was going on in town and up the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    then we ended up with a gaggle of Playboy-centerfold looking hot Thai chicks at Insomnia club where this idiot chick stated a cat fight with another chick and we were surrounded by Thai guys wielding clubs, broken bottles, and anything that was not bolted to the ground.....

and I yelled "DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY!!!" which seemed to appease the officer in charge of the Riot Police that quickly surrounded the establishment. Then got the fuck out of there.

Holy fuck...Bangkok is like the equivalent of an AK ski trip with bangin ho's. That place is insane.
    LOL, great stuff.

What is even more funny is, those "Playboy-Centerfold Hot looking chick"s might be men.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Hugh Conway Guest
    when I was there few actually went tubing when they went "tubing" it was just poms/ozzies getting shittied. repeatedly, in a bad sausage fest. there were a number of "features" at those bars (waterslides, zipwires) that were dodgier than dodgy, but don't actually have proof anyone died, despite a number of rumors. But did see one of the Laotian bar owners at the put in go after another bar owner with a machete in full rage (a kind essex girl diffused the situation). Yes, fantastic things to do around there. As a yank, the Air America strip kinda makes the whole thing surreal to start with.

I was in VV a few years back and they were still selling shakes, et al. Irrespective/despite the wacked out backpacker scene, one hell of a beautiful place and worth a visit just for the scenery... Took scooters into the hinterlands--bad idea. Ever since I've dreamed of taking a properly outfitted cycle through the countryside for a proper tour. Vientiene on the other hand is worth skipping. Luang Prabang is very pretty/romantical, if a bit like a giant French Colonial theme park for well-heeled, sexagenarian westerners...

Anyhew, BKK is def. worth a few days. I've never found it to be all that crazy, despite touristic heralding to the contrary. Hookers and strip clubs? Sure, but it's more and more like any big, cosmopolitan international city every day. FYI, thinking about doing drugs there is a very, very bad idea.

Angkor is def. worth 2-3+ days. Would be the #1 thing I'd recommend in SE Asia. One of the most evocative places I've ever been. And good accommodations for cheap. You can easily avoid the hordes by hiring someone (again, cheap-cheap)to take you to more distant temples--think a day at Ta Prhom/Kbel Spean (nice forested, 2-3 mile? "mountain" hike to get to Kbel Spean). Avoid the popular sunset temples at sunset--go to someplace like Bayon--you'll have the place to yourself. Buy a beer, do a little climb to the top and enjoy the giant bats circling above the treetops as the sun falls into the horizon...

Not sure what Pnom Phen is like nowadays--I was last there six years ago and the development since has been crazy, from what I understand. I really enjoyed it, but from what I understand, much of what I enjoyed about it has likely disappeared--it used to have a real decrepit, hard scrabble, end of the world kind of feel, all doused in a gentle French colonial perfume. It was what you think BKK is/was reputed to be.

Insofar as Thai beaches, much of the Andaman side is uber developed for tourism. Remember, Thailand is essentially Mexico for Australians/Kiwis. On the gulf side, Samui is much the same--avoid it. Ko Phagnan hasn't quite been over-run yet, nor has Ko Tao (where you want to go if you dive). But there isn't climbing there as there is on the Andaman... If you do Ko Phaganan, keep in mind that you can get there as easily form Surat Thani as you can from Samui. If you really wanted, you could bus/train to Surat Thani (vs. flying) and ferry to Ko Phagnan from there.

Lastly, fuck the train--if you're only going to be there for a couple weeks, def. take advantage of cheap-o flights on Air Asia/other cheap Asian airlines... You are already going to be losing a couple/three days to jetlag/travel.
    Last edited by PassTheDutchie; 09-17-2013 at 09:38 AM.

I spent a year traveling the asian continent back in 2001-2002. Lots of good advice here. I can offer more if you have specific questions just PM me. I would suggest thumbing a ride from Poi Pet border crossing. That was one of the wildest adventures I had.

AirPass

Wow, lots of good info from here. Hugh, after a bit of reading on Phi Phi, people seem to agree with you that it is a tourist trap/dump. There is hope for you, you are not overly jaded.

So, more of the plan is that we plan to get married at whatever beach we go to and we want to do that first and then travel on to see things. So if I am going to do the brainless tourist thing anywhere, it would be the beach at the first of the trip so as to reduce stress. That being said, we are not resort people. I would rather go to a pool and eat at Chili's than fly halfway around the world to do the same and pretend I am in the U.S. The advice to wait and look at the weather before deciding which side of the peninsula to go to is probably sound, except we need to plan the whole wedding thing in advance. Railay/Tonsai beach is looking interesting. I'll continue to listen to the advice of those here though.

The royal Thai airlines airpass is a great deal and I'll look into that. If I could fly to Vietnam and then work my way back to Bangkok I would probably skip Chiang Mai. Lots to see and so little time. Anyway, thanks for the advice so far, it is definitely driving decisions.

Out of curiosity I looked for the air-pass and it still exists in similar form...$280. Great deal.

http://www.thaiairways.com/offers/sp...fares-2011.htm

Great enough here. Subscribing since I'm in the early stages of planning an Asia trip for next year.
    Gallery || Facebook || Instagram
    Go that way, really fast...if something gets in your way, TURN!

What about flying into Bangkok and then out of Ho Chi Minh city and making my way across?

What about flying into Bangkok and then out of Ho Chi Minh city and making my way across?
    Why not if it makes sense? But, bear in mind that BKK is a much, much bigger hub (which will likely give you more flexibility for flights/cost) and flights between HCM & BKK are cheap, quick and plentiful.

Another thing to think about: look at your options as to where where you are going to be routed through on your way/way back. You might be able to do a night or two in another place you're interested in seeing for free (essentially) by staggering your legs.

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    Why not if it makes sense? But, bear in mind that BKK is a much, much bigger hub (which will likely give you more flexibility for flights/cost) and flights between HCM & BKK are cheap, quick and plentiful.

Another thing to think about: look at your options as to where where you are going to be routed through on your way/way back. You might be able to do a night or two in another place you're interested in seeing for free (essentially) by staggering your legs.
    The multi leg flight into BKK and then out of Ho Chi Minh city was actually a bit cheaper yesterday. And that puts us coming in through Tokyo and out through Hong Kong. We have family in Hong Kong so we'd love to add on a day or two there to visit. Unfortunately that Thai air pass only works in country, so while we may fly south to Krabi and then back north to Siem Reap, we may have to bus it to Ho Chi Minh, stopping along the way.

This may end up growing to a little longer than two weeks.