Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Arc'Teryx's patent is here for anyone who wants to geek out over it.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    7.4 lbs? Oh well.
    Yup, I was excited until I read that. Gotta get the weight down, I'm sure it will happen in future iterations, but not going to run out and buy one at that weight'

how much do other air bag packs weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Cat skin airbag?

Where do I sign up?

Probably have to use two cats. One wouldn't be big enough?
    No, but I think Mammut may be stockpiling for their new disruptive, cat based solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    ahh, i gotcha.

i thought they were referring to disrupting the back-country which made no sense.
    Come out to the Bay Area. Every fucking 25 year-old with a semi-original idea is pitching that word as a pickup line. Gets old quick.

Stoked on the bag. Interested to see where it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

With time batteries may become smaller, lighter, (cheaper?). Whilst the ability to compress a certain required amount of air into an increasingly smaller/light cylinder has/will meet a limit.

Battery-fan operated is a future technology, and 2014/15 is only Round 1.

I'd love to see a demo. It is hard not to be sceptical.
    Last edited by neck beard; 09-13-2013 at 03:10 AM.
    Life is not lift served.

Meh. Just make a compressed air system in a nice pack BD. I'll buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    With time batteries may become smaller, lighter, (cheaper?). Whilst the ability to compress a certain required amount of air into an increasingly smaller/light cylinder has/will meet a limit.
    Battery-fan operated is a future technology, and 2014/15 is only Round 1. .
    The laws of physics / chemistry also dictate how small a battery can become.
    The main challenge for electric cars (for example) is making the battery small and light enough to make the range worthy.
    It might be that compressed air ends up lighter and more reliable than a battery + motor + fan.

I want to be excited by this product - but some good questions above.
    Suspect it is a long way off from hitting the market place.

Fairly amused by those who think the ability to trigger multiple times on one trip is a big selling point

fucking stupid

rog

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Skier View Post
    The main challenge for electric cars (for example) is making the battery small and light enough to make the range worthy.
    All noted. I guess what I needed to say was that there is currently a very strong commercial drive behind developing more efficient batteries (size/weight/charge). Many industries are working on it. Whilst in the meantime, I'm guessing, there are very few high R&D industries trying to get more air into a smaller/lighter cannister.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    7.4 lbs? Oh well.
    If this is a 28L pack, that seems pretty close to the current weight of ABS and Snowpulse's similar sized packs, no? Though it's possible that the BD pack will end up being heavier than it claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    doesn't look the solution to beans hut death trip.
    I think the solution for that kind of trip is to just have the airbag deployed all week, No?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

"MSRP $960.00"?
    last time i spoke with someone, they talked about cutting the existing pricepoints down to 300euros...

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    "MSRP $960.00"?
    last time i spoke with someone, they talked about cutting the existing pricepoints down to 300euros...
    Fancy hyper speed fans and lithium batteries sure are going to help with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Skier View Post
    Fairly amused by those who think the ability to trigger multiple times on one trip is a big selling point
    How is this not a big selling point? Generally when people get in slides they are in avalanche terrain. And generally to get back to safety you have to then cross a lot more avalanche terrain. Pretty cut and dry to me.
    For instance the one big ride I got taken for was out sled skiing. After being caught in the slide while skiing and not getting buried (before airbag packs, but if I had one I would have pulled it) I then had to get back on my sled and drive probably 40km's back to my truck. Probably about 10 km's of it being crossing through various avalanche terrain. The ability to have a pack that could be re armed in that situation is a no brainer. If you were touring or hiking, same thing.

so, you're in the churn of a slide, and you trigger it...
    the fan presumably has a filtered intake, but i'd love to see the inflation success rate in a river (or cloud) of snow

maybe not an issue at all...surely they've tested it, but i suspect the battery is not the most delicate part of the system, but rather the access to a fresh volume of air to inflate the bag quickly & reliably.

how does its performance change at different elevations and temperatures?
    how long does it take to inflate/deflate cycle to be ready for a secondary event?

it could really be a game changer if it works as hoped for

they said, I quoted, 1 cycle at -20F. Unsure what temperature the 4 cycles are at.
    i was wondering about air pressure and its effect on the fan efficacy, not battery power

bah there's no point.
    that should be your signature

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    but if I had one I would have pulled it) I then had to get back on my sled and drive probably 40km's back to my truck. Probably about 10 km's of it being crossing through various avalanche terrain. The ability to have a pack that could be re armed in that situation is a no brainer. If you were touring or hiking, same thing.
    ya, go out and feel more invincible, do more stupid shit cuz you think yer safe with yer new fangled air bubble, then get impaled by a tree.

wicked smaht.

would you repeat that trip/tour when/where you got caught without a bag?

rog

you realize it's you, right
    i do, thanks for the attention. i don't claim to be super rad or all-knowing, and i don't apologize for it either.

Fan efficiency w/altitude & air pressure is kinda commonly dealth with.
    as is battery life, so what's your point?

btw, i enjoy your tgr web persona and don't get my tighties all bunched up by your insightful disdain - keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    ya, go out and feel more invincible, do more stupid shit cuz you think yer safe with yer new fangled air bubble, then get impaled by a tree.

wicked smaht.

would you repeat that trip/tour when/where you got caught without a bag?

rog
    would you return to the mountain that buried you? or venture into other avalanche terrain miles from help? do you ever ski alone?
    you're being pretty pessimistic today. and you aren't the one to talk shit.

This is an exciting product. We are all lucky to have all these gear companies sinking cash into making our passion more accessible, if not more safe. Sure there is risk, but we are all getting out there and our actions tell that it is worth it.
    mmmm, snow

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by snomaster View Post
    This is an exciting product. We are all lucky to have all these gear companies sinking cash into making our passion more accessible
    what the does this do to make skiing more accessible? And if they've sunk all this money into making skiing more accessible why do so few people care?

acinpdx - battery life is commonly sacrificed to performance and weight with gadgets. that's my only point. it's all hype over something few who've seen are actually talking about though so who knows. the only "gamechanging" to me would be the less travel pita. but I don't, and won't, own one of these anyways. the multiple deployments in a single day scenario... not that gnar.

In this case: accessibility = believe that we can venture into avalanche terrain more safely...
    mmmm, snow

Hugh Conway Guest
    In this case: accessibility = believe that we can venture into avalanche terrain more safely...
    well that's fucking stupid, but it and the color coordinated gumby kids are clearly who BDs courting now, so probably right for the market.

ONLY ???? DAYS UNTIL WE MORTALS CAN HEAR ABOUT HOW AWESOME THIS PRODUCT WILL BE! WILL WE NEED TO RSVP FOR THE VIP LAUNCH AT BD HQ? Will there be gripping interviews of market babble to come?

This is an exciting product. We are all lucky to have all these gear companies sinking cash into making our passion more accessible, if not more safe.
    It clears FS roads in winter?

Anyone know where the air comes from?