Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    ^ Ive not been to space
    neither has my truck or airbag
    but sounds plausible
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Batteries for Jetforce packs come from a company that makes batteries for satellites. Space is cold.
    Heh.

Anyone heard anything about availability? Trying to score the Saga 40...
    Spoke with someone at the BD retail store a few times and they're saying middle of November, but also heard they might be sold out...

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWhERPOW View Post
    Anyone heard anything about availability? Trying to score the Saga 40...
    Spoke with someone at the BD retail store a few times and they're saying middle of November, but also heard they might be sold out...
    I've spoke with a guy from a shop here in Italy and he told me that, yes they are coming in mid november, so if we third world country can get it, they aren't sold out...they are a little bit late because they had some problems about the patent (something like they started as a co lab and end it alone, and the second part claimed some rights). So get the cash and be ready;9

Definitely ready to throw down, hope you're correct!

two weeks ago I heard for my Shops BD Rep that they are only making 2,000 of them this year.

Definitely ready to throw down, hope you're correct!
    No clue on the details of this particular product/situation, but I can tell you that in general BD will fill all preseason orders for retail shops first, then stock their website and retail stores second. It's possible that they're already "sold out" in that they don't anticipate having any extra after filling retailer orders - this happened with Mammut's airbags when they first came out. So my suggestion would be to go talk to your local BD dealer and get one reserved for you from their coming shipment.

Thanks Adrenalated. Looks like you've hit it right on.

From a very reliable source....
    BD manufactured approximately 1200 JetForce packs for the NA market this season (one wonders how many for Europe?). They will be available via their partners at specialty retail. BD will not be selling any via their website etc. What ends up in retail will be available to consumer on a first come basis. If you want one, you should find a retailer who plans on getting the pack, then reserve it.

Thanks Adrenalated. Looks like you've hit it right on.

From a very reliable source....
    BD manufactured approximately 1200 JetForce packs for the NA market this season (one wonders how many for Europe?). They will be available via their partners at specialty retail. BD will not be selling any via their website etc. What ends up in retail will be available to consumer on a first come basis. If you want one, you should find a retailer who plans on getting the pack, then reserve it.
    Black Diamond says they will have them online, but the "rep" says that is just what they have been told. Sounds shitty that they tell their employees different things than a "source".
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Batteries for Jetforce packs come from a company that makes batteries for satellites. Space is cold.
    Bit late but... dude, space is a vacuum, which means that stuff in it that gets hot tends to stay that way for a long time. Satellites don't have a problem freezing so much as not roasting in the sun and in the heat output of their own electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by coldandwet View Post
    Bit late but... dude, space is a vacuum, which means that stuff in it that gets hot tends to stay that way for a long time. Satellites don't have a problem freezing so much as not roasting in the sun and in the heat output of their own electronics.
    Radiant heat transfer works just fine in a vacuum. A lot of satellites (all? I dunno) have a small amount of radioactive material which puts out just enough heat to keep things warm.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Radiant heat transfer works just fine in a vacuum. A lot of satellites (all? I dunno) have a small amount of radioactive material which puts out just enough heat to keep things warm.
    Radiant heat loss is rather less effective than conduction and convection, things you're likely to get in the environments where the airforce is going to be used, yes? Also, deep space probes (which go a long way from the sun) and landing craft (which spend a long time in the dark or in a cold atmosphere) use radioisotope heaters, but most satellites don't operate in those conditions and so don't need them.

The point I'm trying to make is that saying 'space is cold, therefore stuff made for space will work just fine up a mountain in winter' is daft, because stuff in space is very effectively insulated by vacuum, which makes it much easier to keep warm.

Aerospace TGR thread! Thermal stresses are actually a big deal in satellite design and the spacecraft is not insulated by the vacuum of space. Radiative losses cannot be neglected and if it gets hot once it doesn't stay hot due to any kind of insulation it receives from the near vacuum in space. For a low earth orbit, for example, temperatures vary strongly during eclipse and sunlight and this causes a certain amount of stress to certain parts of the S/C, you can actually have certain parts of the S/C varying in temperature by many degrees.

http://books.google.nl/books?id=0GJW...ellite&f=false

Check out page 181 and see how much the temps. vary in darkness and in light.

Now back to that backpack
    Last edited by vaquero; 10-28-2014 at 04:34 AM. Reason: forgot word

Quote Originally Posted by vaquero View Post
    Radiative losses cannot be neglected and
    The fact that radiative losses cannot be neglected also doesn't matter because they are substantially less than the conductive and convective losses in an atmosphere. The original point, "space is cold therefore stuff for space will work fine up a mountain" is still silly.

^^^ Agreed. I guess it was meant to allude to the battery's quality.

Quote Originally Posted by thehaze View Post
    .they are a little bit late because they had some problems about the patent (something like they started as a co lab and end it alone, and the second part claimed some rights).
    Was the co-lab partner Arc'teryx? Or can we still expect something from them? I cant find any BD patents for their jetforce system. [nor any Salomon patents for a new tech binding system btw ]

All of you are going to freeze to death in space.

All of you are going to freeze to death in space.
    Which brings me on to my next question, if you put a space shuttle on a treadmill...

The original point, "space is cold therefore stuff for space will work fine up a mountain" is still silly.
    Well of course it's a silly point, but we're talking about a product that will be essentially unavailable for most people this year, and space is rad.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Hugh Conway Guest
    Bean - some BD person will still chime in how awesome, wonderful, and world beating it is.

The original point, "space is cold therefore stuff for space will work fine up a mountain" is still silly.
    you sound like the asshole who talked about engineers using calculus everyday. funny how cold the temps various space bits get tested too are.

Always toast your marshmallows on the sunny side of the space shuttle.

I'm definitely keen to know if they will be available on BD's website this fall/early winter. Holding off on a large purchase until they come in.

PSA certain airbags are in stock on BD's website

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    PSA certain airbags are in stock on BD's website
    got email from bc as well about the airbags

Quote Originally Posted by MiCol View Post
    I left my truck (diesel) unplugged , outside , undriven from Oct-May at 9600' and pretty cold temps. (- F to 30s during winter) Said truck had 2 new heavy duty batteries I had purchased in Sept before parking. When I finally was able to get truck started in June I had to replace both batteries again because they went bad due to freezing. (very $$$ costly)... I do not trust batteries in the cold.
    Are you really comparing the cold weather performance of a flooded lead acid battery un-charged for 7 months to a recently charged lithium ion dry cell? That's really silly.

It's pretty obvious the electrical turbine technology is very promising with multiple advantages. That said, I think currently available options are a little too heavy and don't do enough to protect the head and neck from trauma (like the Mammut Pro Protection 35L pack which appears to be a little cheaper, considerably lighter, and offers more protection). But the battery powered technology makes a lot of sense and has numerous advantages besides multiple deployments, one in particular, the loud whining noise it makes which could speed initial location in a large debris field.

Ironically, as loud as it whines, it is no where near as loud as a few people here who are incessantly whining about ridiculous things, complaining that it's vaporware, over-marketed, over-hyped, impractical and/or too expensive. A lot of noise about nothing.

In the end, this technology will co-exist side by side with pneumatic systems for years to come. Different strokes for different folks.