Quebec maggots : SAVING MONT ALTA!!!!

I'm just the messenger and I have no vested interest except spreading the word that some people are getting together to save one of the most unique small ski hill in the Laurentians.

Here is what SBC Skier had to say about Mont Alta back in 2008.
    "Mont Alta is the last vestige of the ski-wherever-you-damn-well-please attitude (…) no fake snow here, no grooming and no highway flattop. There are also no beautiful people, fake tans, or bad skiers. Off-limits at Alta is governed only by fear and inability. Jutting branches and rock cliffs are teaching tools, and come dump time, powder piggies line up for first tracks and snort to their heart’s content."

I've spoken to a few people about what is happening. This is serious and they already did some groundwork with the owner, banks, etc. They gathering support from many at direct levels that don't want to let the place become another "lost" ski area. They are trying to see if how strong the support is for a Coop (more below and the following links).

The following is I wrote on Ski Mad World:

The future was indeed uncertain for the quaint Laurentians ski area located in Val David. After 3 consecutive bad years, last season was finally a good snow season north of Montreal, however Mont Alta didn’t open in 2012-13 due to a number of circumstances. The long time owner Osward Lingat has recently put the ski area on the market, but something has happen in the last few months. Behind the scenes, some people couldn’t accept to let Mont Alta become just another lost ski area. In their eyes, Mont Alta is too unique, too special not to go everything possible to save it. But first, the mountain has to open for the coming season.

Taken from the Mont Alta website:

"YES, Mont Alta will be in operation this winter (2013-14)! ALTHOUGH…

As many of you may already know, the Mont Alta is for sale, since March 2013. Our goal is to form a cooperative to acquire it, so we can preserve the mountain and its history! We are currently looking for investors who are willing to give time, energy and… money so we can all claim the land to be ours again! If you are interested into being part of Mont Alta’s rebirth, please fill in the following form. We will be in touch with you very soon."

Form : http://www.mont-alta.com/

Ski Mad World will also post more on the subject in the coming weeks.

Further information on the project on Zoneski : And what if we bought back Mont Alta?

http://www.zoneski.com/article.php?id=225

In its 10 years of existence, the Quebec ski forum Zoneski has encouraged people to explore some of lesser known ski areas like Mont Alta. Although Zoneski isn’t in the market to buy a ski area, it represents the Quebec skiing community and helping people get-together for this venture.

A bunch of further links on Mont Alta on my post here :
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013/...c-mont-alta-2/
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Sounds like a great cause. I only wish I was in a better financial situation to help. I'll definitely be skiing there this winter.

Co-op's a great idea. Bit of work though...

If you know the guys have em get in touch with me.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post

If you know the guys have em get in touch with me.
    Yes, I do. I'll pass the word. One of them has spoken to me (member of the MRG Coop) and one that is a member of Shames' coop.

Here is a piece (in French) in the local paper.

Une coop voit le jour pour sauver le Mont Alta
    http://www.pointdevuesainteagathe.co...le-Mont-Alta/1
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Is the terrain as challenging as the trail map suggests? What's the vert and average snowfall?

Hope they can turn the corner!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Have not been there in years but I can staunchly say that en ce qui concerne mes stations de ski preferees au Quebec, le Mont-Alta est facilement dans mon top 3. Co-op idea loudly seconded! Anything and everything to save this hill is seconded. I've skied both hills (Shames and Mont Alta) and they are very similar places in their overall vibe. It would be a crying shame (no pun intended) to let another cool hill disappear. Guys ripping the shit of steep, icy moguls is what I remember of Mont Alta. That and it generally being a time machine back to a different era of skiing that I mostly had the misfortune of missing out on.

I remember another hill outside of Edmonton called Lake Eden that I think has disappeared. Near the end of its run, it was full of rocker dirtbags in their jeans jackets ripping the shit out of a microscopic but seriously cool little hill.

Hey AP, I remember Lake Eden! I did a para-ski comp there back in the early 80's. Sky dived for accuracy then did a glolam race for time. Fun times indeed, and there was women
    ... back on topic though, sounds like some folks have got something started madpat. Good on them, I wish em well!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

it does sound like they have something started. I wish them the best of luck and hope they can create the same energy and momentum that led to the success of my mountain co op.

One of my fave spots. First discovered it when ZoneSki organized a free ski day there. Hit my last fresh snow of last season there too , buttering the creamcheese.
    In a local snow-belt microclimate, full dirtbag mode, save alta!!