have there been any big changes in the Barons for this season vs last year?

i see some color changes and the usual stuff about great improvements...any truth to that? about $100 difference between the two, just wondering if it's worth the extra coin for the latest and greatest, or if they're essentially the same binding.

thanks!

The new 13/14 model does have a fairly major change - it goes to the EPF mounting pattern, which is quite a bit wider. It's the same change that happened to the Duke for the 12/13 season (search should have more info/opinions). I do notice a bit better response/power transfer to the edge of the ski with EPF than the non-EPF version (on the Duke). Many people notice no difference. Is it worth $100 more? That's up to you.

So the new baron won't fit existing dinaduke plate?

That's really a question for Jon, as I don't know if he has produced a Dynaduke plate that works with the EPF pattern yet. But for sure the new Baron won't work with any plates prior to last season, when the Duke EPF was first produced.

The new EPFs definitely won't fit the dynaduke plates, and I remember seeing jon writing in a thread somewhere that he was thinking of discontinuing the dynadukes with the possibility of a "guardianfit" plate in the future.
    The new duke EPF pattern really conflicts with the dynafits, I tried to insert a pair of skis last season and would have had to move the dynafits +5 or something stupid. I think with the old pattern you could share a couple holes between the two?

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    I am seriously considering ending production of dynadukes after this season. I think the concept is still really sound, but dukes are no longer the best burly touring/alpine binder.

If I can update the design to fit jesters, dukes, and dynafit maybe I'll do another run and see if it sells. Before people get all excited, don't yet know if it could work. I'm also seriously considering replacing dynaduke with guardianfit - More relevant these days.
    I don't personally agree with that sentiment, I still prefer dukes over guardians but that's just mt preference, and I'm ditching both for the Cast system this season anyways. /threaddrift

I personally couldn't feel the difference between the EPF and the old style, though I had them on two very different skis. The new colours sure look pretty though.
    Another thing to consider is some skis aren't meant to be mounted with such a wide binding, the holes could land outside of the mounting area &/ in softer wood.
    Last edited by powder fiend; 09-11-2013 at 07:37 PM.

thanks all. maybe the new ones are the way to go

Another thing to consider is some skis aren't meant to be mounted with such a wide binding, the holes could land outside of the mounting area &/ in softer wood.
    they'll go on last years rossi s7...178, 140-110-118. good?

Since the new Baron is the same as the old one except with a wider mounting pattern (which makes NO difference), there should be some screaming deals available on last years model now.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!