Converting an old MTB to a single speed coaster: does this sound like a good idea?

I have a 1992 Cannondale M1000 hardtail I've been trying unsuccessfully to sell. It needs a full tune, all new cables, a new front derailleur, and new cranks. As the front shifter is the original Suntour (!), I wonder if that may need to be replaced, too. This is a 24.0 pound bike.

This is no longer a daily rider. It's obviously had a full life but I also don't want to trash it or donate it.

It occurred to me that with the work that is needed it might actually be cheaper just to have it converted to a single speed coaster. A local shop said they'd do it for about $130. I have no interest in having a bike quiver, but it could be fun to have a simple bike to tool around on.

Does this sound like a good way to spend $130 and reuse a bike? Or would I be better off recycling the Cannondale and just buying a single speeder if I really want one?

Coaster - meaning coaster brake? That would require swapping out the rear hub. If your brakes are good and the rear hub is good, just convert it to a single speed and skip the coaster part.
    $60 cranks
    $25 nashbar ss kit.

Done.

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Yeah, as in coaster brake. I was figuring it would be easiest to get w new rear wheel, and if so get a coaster and dispense with brakes altogether -- then I could chalk up the weight savings as well.

Go with nicwm21's idea, as you will like riding a SS and want to use it as a real mountain bike.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    Yeah, as in coaster brake. I was figuring it would be easiest to get w new rear wheel, and if so get a coaster and dispense with brakes altogether -- then I could chalk up the weight savings as well.
    A coaster brake will handicap the bike.... And if your rear wheel and hub is good, why pay more money.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I thot about making my 86 marin into a single speed townie but then I figured since it still works ok why not just leave it in one gear and spend the money I saved on something else ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Bike quivers are awesome. I'm at 6 right now.
    If you have the other categories covered, a coaster brake bike is awesome for laps around the park with a date, bar hopping with a beer in your hand, etc, etc.

coaster brake bikes are fun when you've got big townie bars on the bike. A coaster brake on a regular mountain bike is significantly less awesome. Go for the regular SS option. It's cheaper, more useful, and there isn't anything you can do on a coaster brake that you can't do on a SS (except no-handed skids).

Single speed it, get a good beer buzz on, and go fuck around with curbs and tool around on your local rec paths. Submit video tr with soundtrack of late 80s rap. Profit?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

yeah what they ^ say. turned my 94 kestrel into a single speed for ~ $40 (i did win SS cranks in a raffle - so kinda had to), great way to look at early/late season trails on the second or third go around when just being out there no longer does it for me
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

I'm about to do the same exact thing with an old rock hopper. Just going straight SS - keeping it simple and I won't give a crap about it, which will be nice.

So I took the bike to Hellgate Cyclery. As suggested here, it did not qualify for backpedal brakes because of the dropout. Hellgate put a single speed conversion on it with spacers and installed a Surly thingy on the back that looks like a derailleur but is not -- it's there to keep some slack in the line? Anyway, I had to have the brakes serviced and get new pads. With some other tuning up the bill came to $133; with Specialized Fat Boy 1.25" slicks the bike weighs 22.5 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    So I took the bike to Hellgate Cyclery. As suggested here, it did not qualify for backpedal brakes because of the dropout. Hellgate put a single speed conversion on it with spacers and installed a Surly thingy on the back that looks like a derailleur but is not -- it's there to keep some slack in the line? Anyway, I had to have the brakes serviced and get new pads. With some other tuning up the bill came to $133; with Specialized Fat Boy 1.25" slicks the bike weighs 22.5 pounds.
    Sounds like you found a good way to breathe some new life into the old girl. The Surly/Nashbar/whatever thingy is a chain tensioner that replaces the rear derailleur because you need some tension on your chain or else it will flop right off. This is usually either accomplished by the derailleur or by a frame with single speed-specific dropouts so you can bolt the rear wheel in place with the chain nice and tight.

Have fun!