Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Dyna TLT6

Dyna TLT6

Just got my TLT6s. They have been discussed in other threads but I couldn't find a thread dedicated to the 6 so I am starting a new one.

I got the same size as my TLT5 and fit was perfect with my intuitions molded for my 5. 5s were punched for forefoot width (and maybe big toe?) but I don't think the 6 will need any punching. The 6s are 3mm wider in the forefoot than the 5s.

I think I will sell my Mercuries. I ski my mercuries with no tongue, and 6s with stiff tongue are stiffer than the 5s. Hard to be sure about relative stiffness without skiing them though.

How does the midfoot/heel volume feel compared to your TLT5's? Are you a promotive guy?

In the 30 minutes I spent in the 6, mid foot and heel was the same as the 5.

Thinking about getting the new, stiffer '6 tongue for my '5P, worth it?

The 6 skis better than the 5 not only because of the stiffer tongue but also because it doesn't have forefoot flex. It would to tell how much of the stiffer flex on the 6 is due to the tongue and how much due to the changes in the forefoot. Let me hand flex the two tongues and get back to u. R the 5 and 6 tongues plug in compatible?

I think the loss of the forefoot flex is the game changer here. Can't see much difference in sizing or fit other wise. 2mm on the instep and 1 mm on the out side for 3 total isn't much unless you really need it. Heel pocket is the same afaik.

The rigid sole on the 6 does indeed make it a stiffer boot and IMO anyway a better ski boot than the TLT5. I only skied them (both) sans tongue as a 5/6 comparison.

my take on it..

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2013...l-of-2013.html

Hi Dane, in read your blog all the time including that review.

I didn't think the 2mm/1mm would make a difference so I took them to my bootfitter to be punched. I slipped my old liners in so he could see where to punch them, and they felt fine! I might feel differently about them after hiking in them a full day. Also the liners r really packed out so that might be a factor.

Thinking about ordering a pair online but not sure about the sizing. Can anyone compare TLT 5/6 sizing with the Tecnica Cochise 120? I'm a 26.5 in that boot, thinking I'm either 26 or 27 in the TLT 6.

Harpo, thanks for reading c/t and starting this thread. Be interesting to hear what everyone thinks of the new boot once we get soem snow again. I did the same as you it soulds like, I just used my two pair of old liners in the new shells. One pair pretty packed out now and one pair (same TLT 6 liner) I had fit earlier in the Spring to my 5s. I was thinking along the lines of just skiing them everyday with the tongues in but worry about the durability of the shell. I've been really rough on the TLT5s, Ones and RS for that matter..

I'd also want to down size one shell size I think to use them a lot just skiing. I need the length and one size up to skin and climb in them much.

Sizing? Shells are full size only and there is a good size jump between them. 28 and a 28.5 is the same shell.

I can't compare to the Cochise, but I got my 29 (317mm) TLT6 last night and the shell fits the same as my 28 (326) Kryptons.

I'm pleased with the stiffness. Just based on the carpet test they're acceptably stiff sans tongue, and great with the stiff tongue. I really couldn't tell a difference with or without the power strap so pulled them.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    I can't compare to the Cochise, but I got my 29 (317mm) TLT6 last night and the shell fits the same as my 28 (326) Kryptons.

I'm pleased with the stiffness. Just based on the carpet test they're acceptably stiff sans tongue, and great with the stiff tongue. I really couldn't tell a difference with or without the power strap so pulled them.
    I also have a pair on order, I am a legitimate US 11 regular foot and ordered a 28.0 as this is the size of all my ski boots. A quick question, What is your US shoe size? I am a little worried about the 307 BSL of the 28 TLT 6. I did order from a local shop so they will get me into the right boot if the boot doesn't fit.

Hi quad,

I am a 10.5 street shoe and a 27/27.5 TLT 5/6. I might have had my 5 punched a little for length but I can't remember.

Where did u get your pass this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
    I also have a pair on order, I am a legitimate US 11 regular foot and ordered a 28.0 as this is the size of all my ski boots. A quick question, What is your US shoe size? I am a little worried about the 307 BSL of the 28 TLT 6. I did order from a local shop so they will get me into the right boot if the boot doesn't fit.
    Depends on the shoe. Some dress shoes I'm as small as an 11.5, but usually a 12 street shoe. Currently wearing a 46.5eu/12.5USm casual shoe from Scarpa. Running shoes I wear 47eu/13USm. Bike shoes are 46-47 depending on a number of things.

I think with an 11USm sized-foot you'll be good in a 28.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

A thought for you. If you are planning on a lot of boot packing and skining, fitting a AT boot like a down hill ski boot is a mistake imo. Way more than half your time will be going up.

My ski boots are all 28s including Ones and RS. My BC (TLTS and DyNA) are 29s. My street shoe is a 11.5 and my mtn boots are all 45 or 45.5. I could ski in a 28 TLT6 but I wouldn't be happy skinning in them for any distance without major boot mods.

more detail imo as to why:
    http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2013...-boot-fit.html

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    The 6 skis better than the 5 not only because of the stiffer tongue but also because it doesn't have forefoot flex. It would to tell how much of the stiffer flex on the 6 is due to the tongue and how much due to the changes in the forefoot. Let me hand flex the two tongues and get back to u. R the 5 and 6 tongues plug in compatible?
    Yeah I can bet that, gonna get rid of the fore flex zone after two seasons, really like it while going up but not so much going down. I think that the new tongues will slip right in? Currently running a pair of modified full tilt ones, but they are on the bulky side of thing and make it kinda hard to flip the lower buckle.

Depends on the shoe. Some dress shoes I'm as small as an 11.5, but usually a 12 street shoe. Currently wearing a 46.5eu/12.5USm casual shoe from Scarpa. Running shoes I wear 47eu/13USm. Bike shoes are 46-47 depending on a number of things.

I think with an 11USm sized-foot you'll be good in a 28.
    Thanks, that's what I am hoping. My foot is definitely a little smaller than yours. I went down to LSS today and tried on K2 Pinnacle 130's, Technica Cochise 130's, and Salomon Quest 120's. The fit was good in the 28.5 Cochise 130's with a 98 last and the 28.5 K2 Pinnacle fit good with the 100 last but I would want the 98 last K2's but they didn't have any in yet. 28.5 Quest was too roomy. I am in the market for new resort boots too. Interestingly, The 130's didn't seem overly stiff and bad ass to me, just similar to my current resort boots Salomon Falcons. They have the Lange XT's and the new Dalbello's coming in shortly, so will try those on too but it looks like my foot is not that wide and prety easy to fit. As far as resort boots, I am leaning toward the Cochise.

Sorry about the thread drift..........

I got my 29s on a scale and it came in at 1390g/boot without the powerstrap (30g) or tongue (60-70g), but including laces and a stock superfeet footbed. If the 27 is actually 1050g as advertised, that means each size up is 170g/boot heavier. Seems a bit off.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

What size are your old 5's and whatcha gonna do with em?

Quote Originally Posted by werdswerf View Post
    Thinking about ordering a pair online but not sure about the sizing. Can anyone compare TLT 5/6 sizing with the Tecnica Cochise 120? I'm a 26.5 in that boot, thinking I'm either 26 or 27 in the TLT 6.
    I wear a 25.5 in the Cochise and a 27 in the TLT5, and a 26 in the Mercury (didn't keep it). With my wide (actually curved) foot, there's no way I'd fit into a 26. My TLT5s are punched heavily for width at the big toe knuckle and outer midfoot. The Cochises are too, but less so. The Cochise length is just about perfect for resort - barely any extra room in tour mode. The TLT5 is a bit longer, but what I want in the BC.

Considering the TLT 6 as well.
    I am curious if what is being discussed here is the "Performance" or the "Mountain" (both?) versions?
    Where are you guys getting your TLT 6's?
    So far I'm not seeing them in stock at most of the places I normally purchase from?

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Considering the TLT 6 as well.
    I am curious if what is being discussed here is the "Performance" or the "Mountain" (both?) versions?
    Where are you guys getting your TLT 6's?
    So far I'm not seeing them in stock at most of the places I normally purchase from?
    I'm referring to the P. I don't know where I got mine nor could I speak of it if I had such information to disclose at this juncture.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

I got my 29s on a scale and it came in at 1390g/boot without the powerstrap (30g) or tongue (60-70g), but including laces and a stock superfeet footbed. If the 27 is actually 1050g as advertised, that means each size up is 170g/boot heavier. Seems a bit off.
    I'm starting to suspect that the published TLT6 spec weight is really for the CL liner (i.e., successor to the TF, previously the only option for the TLT5 Performance) whereas the only TLT6 option in North America (for either the Performance or Mountain) is the heavier CR liner (i.e., successor for the TF-X, previously the only North American option for the TLT5 Mountain, which in Europe had been available in either TF or TF-X).
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    A thought for you. If you are planning on a lot of boot packing and skining, fitting a AT boot like a down hill ski boot is a mistake imo. Way more than half your time will be going up.
    That had also been my thinking for many years, but turned out to be a mistake, at least for my feet (C width, very low height).
    My running shoes are 28.0/10US/44.
    Various Sportiva trail runners are 9.5US/42.5 (no mondo size, but probably 27 equivalent).
    Old Dobermann plug boots are 8US (with lots of grinding of course).
    After years of thinking I should be in 26.5 or 27 for sufficient toe room (Matrix, F3, F1, TLT4), finally bit the bullet and went down to 26 for Zzero4, then ditto for DyNA, TLT6, EVO, Alien 1.0 -- bsl is now 279mm for a 265mm actual foot length (and compared to 305mm Dobermann, and typically around 302mm or so for prior AT boots).
    And yes, I still have all my toe nails!
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

From a US size 10 running shoe to a US size 8 in your ski boots? Never down sized your alpine downhill boots previous?

As an example I am a 11.5 or 12 in most any running/street shoes, 45/45.5 in mtn boots, 44.5 or 45 on rock shoes.

And a 28 in almost every ski boot made (US 10) that I want to ski in. For my rando ski boots that I'll be using with crampons and longer days i go back to a 29 (45/11).

As they say, if the shoe fits wear, it.

I could with some effort and boot fitting wear a 28 TLT. But choose not to. I'd rather have the extra comfort and warmth of a slightly bigger boot. For me the advantages of a down hill boot fit/ extra support on the skinny and short skis we generally ski with Rando type boots isn't worth the added effort. While the extra bit of warmth and some little added comfort generally is.
    Last edited by Dane1; 09-11-2013 at 04:15 PM.