Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Dyna TLT6

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Anyone ever try attaching the green tongue to the black to stiffen it up? I just picked up a booster strap to put on and am thinking about using some t nuts and epoxy to screw the two tongues together. Probably cut the front that snaps into the boot over your toes off the green tongue
    If tlt6 w/ black tongue and a booster strap isn't stiff enough, why not just go for a vulcan??

Quote Originally Posted by Mantana1 View Post
    If tlt6 w/ black tongue and a booster strap isn't stiff enough, why not just go for a vulcan??
    Ya I've yet to try it with the booster strap. Put it on last night and I'll probably try the intuition liner from my freedom sl. I think even with the extra tongue added it'd be lighter than the Vulcan and wouldn't cost anything. Although now I'm considering finding a full tilt tongue and shaving the sides to fit and t nut it to just the part of the green tongue that snaps into the boot over the toe. Figured someone here had done something similar. I'll try the booster liner first

Quote Originally Posted by cipherpunks
    I expect my boots to last for four to five years...
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Dream on
    Well, so far so good. 5th season is crankin' on my TX Pros; ~40+ resort/lift assisted laps days + like twenty light-touring days (many kilometers) + around two weeks of ice/mixed climbing (not uberhard) in them per season, and while they do look somewhat (just somewhat) chewed, I hope to squeeze additional one or two seasons from them, with new liners or (most probably) as is.

Only recently I mysteriously broke that wire that locks one's heel (goes through the ankle into second buckle), but 60 euros can fix two such wires in one shot, and as I do have proper gauge wire, I'll cobble the repair myself.

YMMV, but the question remains: can You squeeze that much with so little breakage from TLT* Dynafit boots? Different weight cathegories, I know, but..
    Last edited by cipherpunks; 02-21-2016 at 09:23 AM. Reason: clarify

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    You could try one of the Scarpa Maestrale stretchy velcro straps. It's not nearly as heavy as the Cochise straps, but works well at creating a more progressive flex.
    I second that but keep in mind that that strap is not Maestrale specific. Many Scarpa boots have that elastic strap. On the up I usually loosen my buckles to the max, but I seldom loosen said strap. Can't say that it impairs stride length in any way. OTOH buckling it up too tight will result in pain (impairs blood flow?), despite its elasticity.
    Last edited by cipherpunks; 02-21-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Was nice with the wc booster strap. Couple days on them . Able to push in the turn and not over flex the boot too much. I'd guess about an additional 5 on the flex scale. Wouldn't give it anymore. Like to try and get a touch more out of the boot. I'll try the liner from my freedom sl next. Plastic on the tongue may just do it

in carpet test this feels like it helps more than the booster and boosters been good. picked up the last pair of green 25.5 tongues from skimo.com for 15usd. real test tomorrow

double green mod

Double tongue? Cool idea. I ski my TLT6 with a Zipfit Gara and WC Booster. The liner and the booster add weight, but the improved heel hold and increased forward flex stiffness is worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Double tongue? Cool idea. I ski my TLT6 with a Zipfit Gara and WC Booster. The liner and the booster add weight, but the improved heel hold and increased forward flex stiffness is worth it to me.
    I finally got out on them today. Able to feel more performance than the carpet test was indicating. Definite improvement. I'm going to try and get another black set of tongues and experiment with different combos. Added a riser under my vertical toe so that helps keeping me pushing on the front of the boot as well. I also added the booster strap and I picked up some intuition protours(80grams lighter than the stock tlt6 liner). I'm not familiar with the zip fits. Any comparison to the pro tour? Mine are mv's and the toungues was too thick(ended up cutting the toungues out across the top of my foot in the middle of the glacier). Day one was fine. 2nd day soo painful. I thought I'd try and get just the toungues from intuition in a low volume toungues or just reattach the tongues I cut with a nylon strap from the bottom of the shin to the Velcro over the toes on the liner so just the part on top of my foot is thin. 1st day on them it seemed like there was a boost in performance over the tlt6 liner

I recently got some of the 2015-16 blue/yellow TLT6 Mountain, with the CR liners, and I'm trying to make the fit work for me. I'm in the 27.5, with about 1.5-2 fingers shell fit, but they are uncomfortably tight in width across the forefoot. My current touring boots are 27.5 Mercuries that have a 6th toe punch, and my foot measures between D to E width on a Brannock.

My local shops don't stock this type of touring boot, so I either have to order online or travel to a shop with more of a touring focus. In either case I'd like to have a good idea of what I should be looking for.

Some options are:

1. Get the TLT6 punched for width. However, my understanding is that the TLT6 changed to Pebax in 2015/16, and that Pebax is more difficult to punch. I doubt any of my local shops have experience with it.

2. Replace the CR liner with the thinner CL liner (the one that comes with the TLT6 Performance) to get a bit more space. I tried a Dynafit PDG liner in the TLT6 and it felt better across the forefoot, but quite sloppy in the heel. Would the CL liner be similar?

3. Try a different boot. Atomic Backland Carbon looks interesting, with the moldable shell that could be more easily widened. Should I be looking at a 27 in the Backland?

WWMD?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
    1. Get the TLT6 punched for width. However, my understanding is that the TLT6 changed to Pebax in 2015/16, and that Pebax is more difficult to punch. I doubt any of my local shops have experience with it.
    The Pebax Dynafit TLT6 shells take a little more heat to punch than the Grilamid ones, but the results are quite good. I would try this approach, since you already bought the boots. I'd still recommend finding a shop that's done light touring shells before, but it is not brain surgery or even dentistry. Replacing the CR liners with CL liners will get you a bit more overall volume, but won't get you the additional width you are looking for.

what Greg said. Find a shop that has worked with Pebax before. Many touring boots are made of this stuff so such a shop shouldn't so hard to find in a major ski town.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I finally got out on them today. Able to feel more performance than the carpet test was indicating. Definite improvement. I'm going to try and get another black set of tongues and experiment with different combos. Added a riser under my vertical toe so that helps keeping me pushing on the front of the boot as well. I also added the booster strap and I picked up some intuition protours(80grams lighter than the stock tlt6 liner). I'm not familiar with the zip fits. Any comparison to the pro tour? Mine are mv's and the toungues was too thick(ended up cutting the toungues out across the top of my foot in the middle of the glacier). Day one was fine. 2nd day soo painful. I thought I'd try and get just the toungues from intuition in a low volume toungues or just reattach the tongues I cut with a nylon strap from the bottom of the shin to the Velcro over the toes on the liner so just the part on top of my foot is thin. 1st day on them it seemed like there was a boost in performance over the tlt6 liner
    Sorry for digging this thread up, but I figured I'd be referred to this one if I asked in a new thread.

Can you compare the stiffness with any combination of your double tongue/Pro Tour/Booster to other boots, especially the Maestrale RS, Vulcan or MTN Lab? I have been thinking about whether it is possible to mod my TLT6P to ski at least as well as a Maestrale RS, which I demoed this weekend. I ski the TLT6s with the black tongues and stock liner and strap. I'm still getting a lot of flex in the lower shell, i.e. the boot flexes out at the cuff rivets and collapses over the instep when I flex forward in the boot. This is particularly evident hard turns in bad snow (with big skis), when my downhill foot will end up washing out backward if I am too far forward in the flex at the start of the turn.

I have the black and green tongues so doubling them up would only cost me a trip to the hardware store, but Boosters or Pro Tours would obviously be a significant investment. I cannot afford to new boots until they go on sale at the end of the season, and would prefer to make the TLT6s work if possible.

Toddball, I ski my TLT6P with Pro Tours, Booster Straps, and the Black Tongues. I think they ski and flex comparably to my Mercuries, which I ski without the tongues but with Booster Straps. I ski them both with skis up to 120 in the waist. I meadow hop, I don't huck. With both these boots set up this way, I just have to buckle them right and then I don't need to think about them. I weigh about 200.

Dyna TLT6

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Sorry for digging this thread up, but I figured I'd be referred to this one if I asked in a new thread.

Can you compare the stiffness with any combination of your double tongue/Pro Tour/Booster to other boots, especially the Maestrale RS, Vulcan or MTN Lab? I have been thinking about whether it is possible to mod my TLT6P to ski at least as well as a Maestrale RS, which I demoed this weekend. I ski the TLT6s with the black tongues and stock liner and strap. I'm still getting a lot of flex in the lower shell, i.e. the boot flexes out at the cuff rivets and collapses over the instep when I flex forward in the boot. This is particularly evident hard turns in bad snow (with big skis), when my downhill foot will end up washing out backward if I am too far forward in the flex at the start of the turn.

I have the black and green tongues so doubling them up would only cost me a trip to the hardware store, but Boosters or Pro Tours would obviously be a significant investment. I cannot afford to new boots until they go on sale at the end of the season, and would prefer to make the TLT6s work if possible.
    I haven't skied the rs, mtn lab or Vulcan. I had/have freedom sl's so that'd be the closest comparison. In the "comparative flex" thread the freedom sl's have settled in the 115ish flex range. I would give my tlt6's with booster and double tongues , original liner ,from an og 95flex to somewhere between 105-110(I'm still working on the mold on my pro tour tongues). That helps with my wider ski(116 underfoot gpo). The big thing is though it doesn't collapse near as often as it did(rarely, I'm 170lbs). It actually has a usable flex now. I can't single out between booster and dbl tongues but I think the dbl tongue does more. Literally takes half an hour and $2. Transformed the boot. My med/stiff gpo is a bit stiffer than the boot but totally fine to ski them with this boot. Just picked up a new skinny touring ski in a medium flex and it's a perfect match(praxis medium flex isn't a noodle). First day I tested it on the hill and the only time I blew through the boot was when I charged into some moguls at speed and I pushed through the ski at the same time. I say go for it, especially if it fits your foot, it's an impressive boot at 1250g in a 25.5(pro tour saves an additional 110g). Much better heel hold than my freedoms for me(I think mastraele is similar). I was going to get another black tongue and try dbl black but I'm happy with the green/black

Thanks harpo and grinch, I'm trying boosters for sure on the hill this evening and if I can get some rivets will try double tongues tonight as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Can you compare the stiffness with any combination of your double tongue/Pro Tour/Booster to other boots, especially the Maestrale RS, Vulcan or MTN Lab? I have been thinking about whether it is possible to mod my TLT6P to ski at least as well as a Maestrale RS, which I demoed this weekend. I ski the TLT6s with the black tongues and stock liner and strap. I'm still getting a lot of flex in the lower shell, i.e. the boot flexes out at the cuff rivets and collapses over the instep when I flex forward in the boot.
    No double tongue here but my two boots are Maestrale RS and TLT6M (CL), so I'll chime in. First question: what is your forward lean lock plate position? IME, TLT6 is much more likely to collapse if the lean lock is in the more forward position. Stated conversely: TLT6 is less likely to collapse if the lean lock plate is in the more upright position.

If in the more upright setting, WC Booster strap helps quite a bit (although I do most of my touring with no strap).

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    No double tongue here but my two boots are Maestrale RS and TLT6M (CL), so I'll chime in. First question: what is your forward lean lock plate position? IME, TLT6 is much more likely to collapse if the lean lock is in the more forward position. Stated conversely: TLT6 is less likely to collapse if the lean lock plate is in the more upright position.

If in the more upright setting, WC Booster strap helps quite a bit (although I do most of my touring with no strap).
    Thanks for the input DIYSteve. I have the lean lock in the more upright position.

A carpet test tells me the 3-elastic booster is going to be really helpful. The stock strap, which cinched as tight as I can get it, will produce horrendous shin bang and still lets the boot collapse more than with the booster for some reason.

Toddball, I've skied TLT6P with and without black tongue, Mercury, Vulcan, Freedom SL, Maestrale RS yadda yadda. I'm 160bs.

TLT6P probably added 5 points of stiffness with Pro-Tours. A Pro-tongue added 10pts of stiffness but I only used them once with the Protongue as it took away from touring.

Totally agree with Harpo that TLT6P with black tongue skied comparable to my Mercury without tongue. My TLT6P without tongue of course skied softer. There are so many different combos and permutations that I can't really add more without getting confusing

EDIT - also with bigsteve said - i ski in the more upright position and barely even do up the powerstrap

Another tongue to consider when dialing in your boots is the stiffest black scarpa (fr/at). Will fit after ~5 min each tongue w a sawzaw and grinder. Heavier than the black Dyna offering but more damp.

Got out to Stevens on the TLT6s with Rad ST 2.0s on 187 Hojis tonight. Tried borrowed Expert/Race Boosters and black tongues, which worked well ripping bumps, groomers and on side-hits. Didn't try anything big due to darkness, firm snow and cowardice. Will definitely invest in some Boosters, though. Thanks all for the input.

Anybody tried mounting a Vulcan cuff on a TLT6 lower? I don't have Vulcans in front of me so I have no idea if they might fit the TLT6 or not... just an idea.

I don’t think this would work...I’ve got both, they are substantial differences. Different cuff rivets, different width, different height of ultra lock hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Anyone selling tlt6 in 27.5?

Looking to pick up some TLT6s or speedfits in 27.5, anyone have them? Can be in rough shape as I'm cutting them up for a splitboard hardboot experimentation.

Necro bump to share my elation at finding a barely used pair in my size in a local second-hand gear shop this morning. SO stoked. Only boot that has consistently worked for me (well, Vulcan also). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1706390993.101607.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	484587

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

You're not the only one. The TLT6 is one of the few boots that have worked well for me.

I picked up a basically brand-new pair of the Mountain version (non-carbon cuff) for cheap last year. I was also elated (although I would have preferred the carbon cuff :-)

Have you tried the TLT-X? It's obviously a different fit, but I wonder how it will compare to the TLT-6. I've read a lot of reviews, but I need to find a pair to try on.