Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Dyna TLT6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    I'm going into season 4 on my TLT 5 Performance.
    Me too (TLT5M), est. 125 days, but with numerous new rivets, torn-to-shit soles, buckles in need of replacement, third set of liners, lean lock that pops out from time to time, etc.

Have you replaced the cuff rivet?

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Nope. Lucky I guess.

Close to 200 days in mine off the top of my head and only changed the liners once.

Yup, lucky. My TLT5M cuff rivets have held up, but the word is that it's a TLT5P issue. Every TLT5P with >100 days I've seen has cuff rivet slop, some not so bad, some awful, e.g. Silas, but he could ski fine in bedroom slippers.

I tired to put down some real numbers on the boots yesterday. Some of my thoughts on how the TLT6 fit my own feet there as well. Might help someone else make a decision or at least some thoughts to consider.

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2013...shake-and.html

or maybe this?

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...l-what-say-you
    Last edited by Dane1; 09-21-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by werdswerf View Post
    Thinking about ordering a pair online but not sure about the sizing. Can anyone compare TLT 5/6 sizing with the Tecnica Cochise 120? I'm a 26.5 in that boot, thinking I'm either 26 or 27 in the TLT 6.
    I have the Cochise and Bodacious and can pull off a 26/26.5 in a tight fit. I could not however do the same in the dynafit in the TLT 5 or Vulcan without committing to serious unnessary boot work. dynafit =27 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
    I have the Cochise and Bodacious and can pull off a 26/26.5 in a tight fit. I could not however do the same in the dynafit in the TLT 5 or Vulcan without committing to serious unnessary boot work. dynafit =27 for me.
    Other way around for me. 27,5 tecnica, but 26,5 merc seemed to be the perfect length. I did not end up buying it, so fwiw...
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    Other way around for me. 27,5 tecnica, but 26,5 merc seemed to be the perfect length. I did not end up buying it, so fwiw...
    Width vs length. The Technica is much wider in the heel. If you have a wide heel, you can size up in Dynafit, though you could probably argue not to size up and punch the crap out of it (or pick a better fitting boot).
    Last edited by Lindahl; 10-28-2013 at 09:28 AM.

I read the thread and have a general consensus on the durability of the TLT6 but how realistic is it to try and drive a 193cm Shiro on a pair of TLT6's. I tried them on and they were brilliant, I have really skinny feet so I swim around in my cochises even though I have intuitions in them and have cooked them out!!! Are the wire buckles durable or am I looking at snapping them as soon as I decide to jump off something. I tried them on and they are plenty stiff in comparison to my cochises but I am worried about the buckles and the locking mech. The vulcan has the same type of buckle just more of them. Any imput on durabilty when making using them outside of what they were built for?

What's your thinking? You're going to use tech bindings and TLT6's on 193 Shiros and jump off stuff? Good luck.

It was more of a hypothetical to rivet a small alu bracket on to the carbon cuff where the current booster strap is then riveting a cochise booster strap on. This would take some of the strain of the top cables (I Think), and do the franken boot mod that wildsnow did replacing the cuff rivets and swapping out the bottom buckle. I dont mean hucking my meat but the cochise did fine skiing a 192 122 rocker2. Has anyone snapped the locking mechanism pin? How often are you breaking the cable buckles, has anyone destroyed a carbon cuff. I know its a mountaineering boot but the shell just fits sooo snug and I can wear it really small. Are they stiff enough laterally? Just looking for some experience with where they fail how often and in which situations.

Quote Originally Posted by sqikunst View Post
    IHas anyone snapped the locking mechanism pin?
    Not snapped but my TLT5M pegs have worn down, lots of tour/ski mode swap cycling, also scraped them a bunch on rocks on spring/summer scrambles, talus fields, etc. The pegs on one boot sometimes pops out but I've rigged it a couple ways to avoid that. I checked Salewa NA re new cuff buckles but SNA advises they are not in stock. My TLT5Ms are beat to shit but no complaints, really, cuz I have lots of good days on them, much abuse, e.g., plunge stepping in talus and scree, scrambling, etc. Surprised they've held up as well as they have. Hope to get one more spring touring season out of them.

I think I will just add a quick photoshopped image... Idea was to do the wildsnow franken boot mod by switching out the bottom buckle to the Lasportiva variety so that the buckle is on top like the Krypton and then doing this to the current power strap: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1454651_10152034777659810_2075362343_n.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	143960

Went into a shop today and because of the shape of the carbon cuff I would need to make a short alu bracket to account for how far back the cuff is soo that the buckle does not close around the backside of the boot but that is relatively simple. only issue now is the amount of contact the new power strap has on the shorter TLT6 tongue. This is because of the wider nature of the Cochise booster strap. Solution to this would be to cut off the upper end of a Kryton tongue and epoxy/rivet it on the the upper part of the dyna tongue so the booster strap is effective. I have little to no exp on light light weight gear but I was blown away by the TLT6 and want to know if what I have in mind will work of if it just the folly of the inexperienced!

^^Why not just buy a Vulcan? I bet you're approaching the weight of a Vulcan with those mods...
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I like what Hoji did to the powerstrap on his frankenboots vs using a Cochise powerstrap. The Cochise version doesn't make sense on this boot, the buckle doesn't give you enough slack to match the ROM on the TLT6. You'd need to undo the velcro each time. Plus it weighs quite a bit. Hoji used a cam buckle and a strip of webbing ala Booster strap.

there is a 500g difference between the two. I can understand the go with the vulcan statement but I usually have a 29.0 mondo and can fit in a 28.0 TLT6 pushing my BSL down to 307. The booster strap and rivets weigh max 70-100g per pair making the mod 400g lighter. Like I said its more of a hypothetical than anything and the TLT6 just seems to fit better around my foot. What i remember from the shop 28.0 and 28.5 are the same shell size at 307mm as soon as I put the 29.0 (317mm) on I was swimming around in it. I will have to punch the toe or always remember to cut my nails but the same size in the vulcan felt wider? was this disillusion or was what I was feeling the difference in shell width (last, in german)?

I'd agree and would suggest rethinking the TLT6 mod and adding a higher intuition wrap liner to a Mercury and stripping/adding on that shell. Higher liner would make a second strap easy enough to use with some effect. It would work on a TLT6 as well. Just not as much boot.

Quote Originally Posted by sqikunst View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1454651_10152034777659810_2075362343_n.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	143960
    You could try one of the Scarpa Maestrale stretchy velcro straps. It's not nearly as heavy as the Cochise straps, but works well at creating a more progressive flex.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I like what Hoji did to the powerstrap on his frankenboots vs using a Cochise powerstrap. The Cochise version doesn't make sense on this boot, the buckle doesn't give you enough slack to match the ROM on the TLT6. You'd need to undo the velcro each time. Plus it weighs quite a bit. Hoji used a cam buckle and a strip of webbing ala Booster strap.
    I've found that you can avoid both of these issues (limited ROM & weight) by attaching the booster strap to the removable tongue. Get as heavy/burly a booster as you can find, because the weight goes in your pack while climbing.

Morbid curiosity....tlt5s were too narrow at in step even with punching. Vulcan was good after molding the stock liner. Where does the tlt6 fall between these two for width fit ? Anyone try on all three? Thanks

TLT6 has even less space at the instep than a 5 because of the added foot bed. Much better after the inner is molded.

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Morbid curiosity....tlt5s were too narrow at in step even with punching. Vulcan was good after molding the stock liner. Where does the tlt6 fall between these two for width fit ? Anyone try on all three? Thanks
    You mean low over the instep, or narrow in the medial midfoot?

Like Dane, I had more trouble with the Vulcan/Mercury/TLT6 instep height than the TLT5. With the TLT6, part of it was because I went with the full size (27 instead of 27.5) which has thicker EVA foam in the bottom of the liner (the half size felt too tall in the toebox). I made the Mercury fit by grinding off material under the arch of my footbed, and made some paper thin posted footbeds from the styrofoam OEM footbeds that came with the boots for the TLT6. I used the TLT5 with normal custom footbeds for 2.5 seasons, no problem.

If you mean narrow in the medial midfoot (above the arch) I'd say the TLT6 overall width and volume is closer to the TLT5 than the Vulcan/Mercury/One, even though they call it a 101mm last. I had to punch all three boots in that spot to get them to fit. The good news is that the Grilamid punches well.

I just put a couple days of touring on my TLT6 P's. Some initial observations. Day one I used then with some Intuition power wraps and the stiff tongues. They exceeded my expectations. Compared to the Titans I've been touring with last season (with power wraps) I actually felt they were a little stiffer! I was skiing on a Praxis BC 180's med/stiff and they drove it well.

Today I took them out on the same skis with the stock CR liner and stiff tongues. A totally different boot in my opinion. They lacked the stiffness I like to drive my skis hard thru variable conditions. I found myself much more in the backseat and feeling like a needed to ski conservative to maintain control. Bummed for sure.

To preface - I'm used to Krypton Pros with the stiff tongue and Lange WC 130's at the resort and then regular Titans with powerwraps in the BC. So if you like or are used to softer boots the CR liners may do you well. If you like it stiff - know that a powerwrap helps considerably and really isn't noticeable in detracting from the walk mode.

Hope that's helpful to some folks.

I've got three days now on my TLT6 P's. I'm finding the real issue is getting the fit right. But the closer I get to it the more impressed I am with this boot!

Me: 5'9" 155lbs, ride hard in all conditions, but don't air much of anything. I've been on 26.5 Titans (first the regular, then the UL's) for the last 4 seasons. I even removed the Velcro strap on them so they'd be less fiddly and consider the Titan perfectly adequate for driving 110 at the waist skis.

I got the 27 TLT6's because of the reduced volume in the boot and the 26.5 Titans were really tight and I needed work to create the volume in them. I tried moving my Pro Tour liners from the Titans in, but at least in floor testing found they barely fit in the shell and I could barely buckle them with my foot and liner in the shell. Since I'm going to be using both boots this year, I was hoping to use the stock liners anyway so I wouldn't have to fiddle them back and forth each time I swapped boots, so I've only experimented with the Dynafit stock fillers.

Day one I took their advice and didn't use the footbeds. This made the boots feel really sloppy because there was just too much room in them. I screwed around with tongues, etc., but with the fit so bad couldn't make an assessment.

Day two I skied with the footbeds and extra footboards. The fit was perfect for my left (smaller foot), but too tight for my right. The boot though was transformed! The ROM is incredible, and the lightness has increased my vertical ft ascension rate by 25% with no additional effort. Day Three even better with fit as I experiment. I do though need custom footbeds those Dynafit ones suck!

I've found with the black tongues in, they ski as stiff or stiffer than my Titan's. It's not horribly un-progressive, but certainly not an alpine boot. That said, I've already skied 45 degree variable in them with confidence, and a big grin has formed in powder. I don't think I'm giving up downhill at all for the increased ROM and lighter weight. I was hoping to not have to swap tongues, but the boot is gutless for me without a tongue, and with either the green or black tongues in all the time it tours so much worse than without that I think I'm going to have to get used to swapping them.

I think I'm going to remove that tab the locks the tongue in as I can't for the life of me slip them in without completely removing the bottom buckle each time. I.E. cable out of the locking mechanism.

Anyway I personally don't see any fancy booster strap in my future, but keep in mind as said I was happy with a titan without even the Velcro strap.

Last thought, I've done some booting and a little bit of scrambling, and these things truly do have the feel of a mountaineering boot not a ski boot when hiking. Awesome!

Have 5 days on my TLT-6's so far. Impressed, stiffer then the 5's for sure. I ran a heavy booster strap on the 5's but have been skiing the 6's with the stock strap, they seem fine so far. Had some fit issues on my right foot that caused a bone spur on the inside of the big toe joint with the 5's. The little extra width plus a slight punch made these work significantly better out of the box for me. I ran Powerwrap Plugs in my 5's and moved the old liners to my 6's. I do feel that the room for the instep was decreased a little, but so far no problems. Granted my longest tour has only been 4 miles ~3k vert so far.

Been on my TLT6 M's for 5 tours now and they have been great. This is my first true touring boot and they are great. So light and the ROM is insane. Have been playing around with the different tongues and no tongue. I think I could ski sans tongue with the addition of booster straps. Anyone have experience with them on the 6's? I know I'm adding some weight but I think the added stiffness plus ease of adjustment is more than worth it. My only concern is the added height of the strap not laying well against the top of the boot. Haven't been too stoked on the stock liners and considering getting some intuitions, anyone swap them out with pro tours or anything else? The volume fit well? I'm curious since my boot fitter doesn't keep all the different intuitions in stock. Thanks