Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I'm an idiot, teach me how to change a flat

Ok, I know how to change a flat tire, or at least I think I do, but I'm clearly missing something. Because I have a fuck of a time getting the bead onto the rim or off the rim (especially back on), and today I managed to bust two tire irons (tire plastics, more like it, pieces of shit) and rub my thumbs raw before I got the tire fixed.

I know there must be tricks that I am missing, tire irons that don't break, ways to do it without tire irons (I know to get the opposite bead into the center, but I must be doing that wrong), whatever.

So school me on this simple task that pissed me off royally today.

And if your response is to say "go tubeless", fuck off.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Is this road or MTB?
    Some road rim/ tire combos are really tight. Changing brand for one or the other can make it easier.
    You'd think specs were tighter here, but not my experience.
    A "bead jack" i' m told can help with stubborn combos.

If this is mtb I have less experience here but sure others do.
    But knowing which rim/ tire would help.

Use Kevlar beaded casings

Put a little air in the tube before mounting the tire/tube to rim

Seat the valve stem, and then work the casing on in both directions from that point.

Once you can't go any further using hands, put an iron in the center of gap and coax it over the rim.

Get Better tire irons

Get Stronger thumbs

If you are breaking tire levers, then you need to be getting better levers. As mentioned some tires or rims have a reputation for being harder than others.

Ask your wife.

i believe Pedros tire irons (plastic) have a lifetime warranty. bring 'em back if they break and swap out for new ones

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    i believe Pedros tire irons (plastic) have a lifetime warranty. bring 'em back if they break and swap out for new ones
    Thanks, definitely looking for more specific recommendations than "get better tire irons"!

ETA: not sure if my post was clear, but I appreciated that yours was more specific. I certainly don't want ones that break, but at a minimum it'd be nice to have ones that can get warrantied if they do.
    Last edited by Danno; 09-07-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Hugh Conway Guest
    if you are breaking tire irons you're a fucking idiot.

pull with the hook on the "cheap black flimsy ones" or run along the edge and use your hands. but you guys are obviously fucking geniuses and I'm a dolt, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Thanks, definitely looking for more specific recommendations than "get better tire irons"!
    go tubeless, idiot.

... sounds like she is a tight fit. I have the problem often. use two tire irons at each end of the gap after coaxing the tire on as much as possible with you hands. if you use one tire iron at the center of the gap it will fracture. Some talcum powder inside the tire/on the tube can help too.
    Last edited by skinipenem; 09-07-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: talc
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post

^^^This. I broke a bunch those cheap black flimsy plastic ones. I went through 4 on a Geax tubeless tire sometime ago. I have yet to break Pedros.

Cheap black flimsy ones, hmmmm.

Mentioned above but more specific...use conti GP 4000s..I've ridden them for the past 7 or so years and not only do i rarely if ever get flats, if u can't change them with ur bare hands, get ur gf or wife to do it...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums

If you are putting air in the tube while putting it on (to get it to stay round and help line it up) let the air out when you get to the last difficult part of the tire to get on, it's harder if there's air in the tube. Use levers as a last resort, they can damage tubes tires rims....

When using levers, try to buy metal center with plastic outside. Use two when getting the last part of the tire on, like instead of one in the middle/furthest part from the rim, do one each side of that last hard part
    Last edited by kevin267; 09-07-2013 at 10:51 PM.

I don't have any good advice for you Danno, but I just want to support you in your frustration. I hate that shit.

I miss the days when I carried a folded up tubular tire strapped to my seat rails with a worn-out toe strap.

Pedro's levers are the best, as has been mentioned. But you should rarely need to use a tire lever to get a tire back on.

The center of your rim has a smaller radius than the edge, by the sidewall. When you get to that last section of tire that won't slide on, go around the circumference of the tire and push the bead away from the sidewall towards the center of the rim. This will free up some radial space and often you can coax the tire the rest of the way on just using your hands

Buy an old 24" sun double wide and matching Arrow Racing wire bead DH tire. When you can get that tire on/off the rim, your quest will be complete.

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    use two tire irons at each end of the gap after coaxing the tire on as much as possible with you hands. if you use one tire iron at the center of the gap it will fracture. Some talcum powder inside the tire/on the tube can help too.
    Also my strategy, powder up the tube and always work with 2 tire levers on any tire that does not go on with just a roll with your fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I know there must be tricks that I am missing, tire irons that don't break, ways to do it without tire irons (I know to get the opposite bead into the center, but I must be doing that wrong), whatever.
    And if your response is to say "go tubeless", fuck off.
    I'm guessing you just lucked out with a rim/tire combo that's hard to work with. My guess is that any other tire you try on there will be easier.
    For me, the zen moment was getting the bead in the center (like you mentioned). If you're getting the first bead on with little difficulty but struggling with the second bead, this could be your main problem. It's not just about getting the opposite bead in the center, it's about getting as much as possible of both beads in the center and keeping them there. As I work in the second bead, I'll stop and re-center everything. I'll do this by pinching the whole tire together at the beads and sliding my way around the rim, wiggling a little to loosen it all up. Believe it or not, a tube makes this harder since it clogs up the center channel. A semi-inflated tube will basically push both beads out of the center channel. And wrestling with multiple tire irons will significantly increase your chances of tearing the tube before you even get it all set up, so be careful.
    You really should post up a vid of yourself doing this so we can have more to go on. And a good laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by rainier View Post
    Pedro's levers are the best, as has been mentioned. But you should rarely need to use a tire lever to get a tire back on.

The center of your rim has a smaller radius than the edge, by the sidewall. When you get to that last section of tire that won't slide on, go around the circumference of the tire and push the bead away from the sidewall towards the center of the rim. This will free up some radial space and often you can coax the tire the rest of the way on just using your hands
    This, and I use the end of a rubberized hammer handle to work the tire on. Saves the fingers and the rim. I feel your pain though. As said before, you shouldn't need levers to get the tire on. Good luck!

You should start by douching your vagina...never try to change a tire with a dirty vag!

I put some dish soap and water in a spray bottle and spray the bead with it. Helps the metal tire irons slide around the bead.

Talcum powder or baby powder works too, and also keeps the tube from pinching.

Fill 1/4 ish tire pressure and bounce the tire on the ground to seat the bead and work out any tube pinches.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Ask your wife.
    HA! This one is the best!

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Use Kevlar beaded casings

Put a little air in the tube before mounting the tire/tube to rim

Seat the valve stem, and then work the casing on in both directions from that point.

Once you can't go any further using hands, put an iron in the center of gap and coax it over the rim.

Get Better tire irons

Get Stronger thumbs
    "Once you can't go any further using hands, put an iron in the center of gap and coax it over the rim"

All this but instead of putting the iron in the center of the gap I put it a few inches from where the casing meets the rim and slowly work my way to the other end while holding the other side tight with thumb on one side and four fingers holding the side that needs to come over.

I use the iron to push the tube in before finally setting the tire casing because it can get crimped between the casing and rim causing a pinched hole in the tube if you are not careful. Also if the tire does not set right on the rim and when you spin it you see humps or wavy back and forth movements where the casing is not set correctly, deflate the tire and rub liquid hand or dish soap all around the casing on both sides then pump it up to the max pressure then a little more. You will hear a pop when the casing sets in the groove of the rim.

If you still can't deal with it go support your local bike shop, but instead of looking like a total dope asking for just a tire change ask for a new chain and tune up and maybe attach that little bell so they can hear you coming on the bike path. Good luck!

I too have known the frustration of the mounting blister.

You should set fire to your LBS. They're all mocking you right now. You know they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

1) make sure both sides of the bead are in the center of the rim
    2) start / end at a point that's 90 degrees from the valve stem
    3) you can lube up the bead if you really need to, but that's a last resort (mostly because it's time consuming and messy).
    4) go to a motorcycle shop and buy metal tire levers that are used to put on dirt bike tires. If you can't get the tire on with those, then you should probably just stick with swearing and throwing things.