Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    If you still can't deal with it go support your local bike shop
    That would not have helped me yesterday on the trail.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Soapy water on the beads. . Plain water if out on a ride.

After changing a lot of dirt bike tubes on the trail, mtn bike tube changes are a piece of cake. I prefer to finish at a valve as opposed to having it at 90 degrees as was suggested though. That is the common practice with dirtbikes, which are the same technique as mtn bikes, just a lot harder. Not having a valve stem impeding the bead seating into the center drop gives one a tiny bit more slack

What tires were they? All the proper advice has been given, but I feel we should make a list of tires that are just too goddamn tight. Some tires should just never be used, regardless of their grip, because they're simply too fucking small. After bending a few kitchen utensils trying to pry off a Conti Sport Contact off my commuter bike, I opted to hack it to pieces with a utility knife instead of fixing the flat. Fuck those things, they were lousy tires that liked to eat glass anyway.

Basically, I feel your pain. Tires don't need to be that tight - I have used plenty of great tires that I could practically change with one hand.

Not sure what tire you're using...

Wire beads always frustrated the hell out of me on my road bike, especially in cold weather

Haven't had trouble with mtb tires like that tho

It was a Nobby Nic, but I have had trouble with other tires too. Not sure what the rims are, they came with the bike (2008 yeti 575).
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

From what I gather practically any Geax that is tubeless ready is a big PITA to mount on Stans. I have mounted the 26" Gato on Flows and 29" AKA on Archs and both were hell. The Gato is the one I broke a few generic (no name on them and came in pack of 3 for ~$1) plastic tire levers and was recommended the Pedro tire levers by a wrench at the LBS. I like the Gato but just too much work to get on or off. Might be hell to pay to get that thing partially off to put in a tube on a cold wet day in the middle of nowhere.

I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

I always get metal levers, if a tire is really nasty I got a set of Motorcycle levers from back in the day that could remove a 4.50 motocross knobby and they are still only 6-8 " long not too bad to pack for trail
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    In my opinion no- I tried metal tire levers and would only use them on old beater rims that I did not care about. They tend to scratch or nick the rims and can cause pinching of the tube much easier than the plastic ones.

those work great imo, as long as there are no sharp edges ( never try to use a screwdriver) I don't get pinched tires and as for rim damage ... its a mtn bike

If you read the reviews of that product they are pretty good
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-09-2013 at 10:11 AM.

metal levers work fine as long as you're careful. 98% of the time, metal levers are completely unnecessary, but when you've got a tire/rim combo that's a real bastard, there's no substitute. Yes, your rim might get a little scratched. If the only scratches on your rims are from tire levers, then you should stop riding like a nancy.

And those Minora ones in the Amazon link look very similar to some really shitty ones I used to have (they'd bend). Instead, look for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/CruzTOOLS-TLS1...le+tire+levers

Or, if you want to support the pedal bike industry, Pedros makes this (which works fine, but is more expensive than the basic MC ones):

If you need metal tire levers to change a flat the fit is too tight. Either change the rim, change the tire, or change the rim strip or tape. If you're running thick rim tape like Velox, then switching to something thinner like Stan's or Rox will usually give you enough room. There's also Veloplugs though I've never tried them.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    If you need metal tire levers to change a flat the fit is too tight. Either change the rim, change the tire, or change the rim strip or tape.
    ...or you could just use metal tire levers.

Shrug. Suit yourself, but with a tight fit it's pretty easy to pinch a tube with an iron (especially metal ones) or under the tire bead. Then you're stuck trying to patch unless you brought two tubes. You can avoid this if you're extra careful but I'd rather just spend a few bucks and swap rim strips. Rox strips are $8 for two wheels, about what a set of metal tire irons will cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    It was a Nobby Nic, but I have had trouble with other tires too. Not sure what the rims are, they came with the bike (2008 yeti 575).
    I've got Nobby Nic 29" and they can be a bit of a pain in the ass to change sometimes, but not to the point of breaking shit... it really comes down to your tire / rim combo. I've found that when I'm having trouble, I need to let more air out of the tube and that usually does it.

What you need are some friends who aren't assholes and will stop and help you change a tube.

Edit: And you should go tubeless.
    Last edited by Pegleg; 09-09-2013 at 03:43 PM.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

then what does op do if he is riding alone ?

Who the fuck uses tire levers to put a tire on? That's for pussies and a great way to cut your tube. If you can't put the tire on with your bare hands maybe you should try a different sport...I suggest croquet...
    The Sheriff is near!

Ask your Dad to show you when he gets home from work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    Who the fuck uses tire levers to put a tire on? That's for pussies and a great way to cut your tube. If you can't put the tire on with your bare hands maybe you should try a different sport...I suggest croquet...
    Phew, at least you didn't suggest I go tubeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    Maybe I just have the right tires, but ^^^this.

And who the fuck worries about scratching the rim on a mountain bike? You're doing it wrong anyway, but damn.

Hugh Conway Guest
    And who the fuck worries about scratching the rim on a mountain bike? You're doing it wrong anyway, but damn.
    the same cunts who'll argue you should be burned at the stake if you don't spend $100 (or in their case - borrow from work) the "proper" tool to cut your carbon stem? dunno, i hate metal levers. I can't imagine ever trying to warranty a tire lever.

Maybe I just have the right tires, but ^^^this.

I don't give a fuck about scratching my rim, it's a mountain bike ridden (and wrecked) in rocky terrain, ffs. But I'd love for someone to show me how to get this tire on this rim without a lever; maybe if I talk dirty to it, it will lubricate itself.