Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Marker Lord SP Binding Thread

Anybody have hands on these yet?

- Does the sliding toe column look like it'll hold up to use? (Could probably be epoxied in place if slop becomes an issue.)
    - Is the toe footprint wider than the Jester? (Which could affect compatibility with the SI&I system. If it fits, this binding looks like a perfect match for using AT boots with SI&I.)
    - Might the ramp angle will be different than Dukes/Barons/F12s when using AT boots, because the toe wings move up instead of the AFD moving down?

I've got a good number of 'em on order but have just heard from Marker UK that they're running late (as usual ) so I won't get 'em until mid October so can't give feedback on the delta angle until then. Marker UK advise that they're the same mounting footprint as the Jester/Griffon.

Bump - anybody checked these out yet?

My Lord stock has now arrived but I'm home now for the evening so will check the delta/stand height etc tomorrow.

Here's the screw spec for QK/BF inserts:
    4no. 8mm pan heads
    4no. 16mm csk flat heads
    8no. 8mm csk flat heads
    Last edited by Spyderjon; 11-05-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Having problems trying to post some pics of the Lord's toe binding footprint versus the regular jester/Griffon so if interested parties PM me their email address I'll send them to you. Basically the Lord is both noticeably longer & wider in footprint than the Jester/Griffon.

AFD height adjustment is from the heel end of the AFD (like the Squire) & requires a 5mm allen key. Like the Squire it's a real pain to use as the heel is so close it fouls on a screwdriver so it's best to get a ball headed allen key so you can get some angle on it. The same 5mm allen key is used to screw in the cross pin that holds the toe binding at it's selected height.

The heel binding is the regular Jester/Griffon design but is on the old original size L200 x H10mm base plate (but now in a lot stiffer material) as opposed to the later/current L240 x H13mm base plate.

The toe height system looks pretty sturdy & the locating slots seem very snug. The locking lever is slightly out of line meaning that it'll be permanently pressurised in use which should take up any play that may develop.

I did a dummy mount at 310mm BSL for my Cochise 120's with tech soles installed. With the forward pressure properly set I was surprised that the height toe clearance with a 0.5mm feeler gauge was still very tight (too tight really) even though the AFD had bottomed out on it's adjustment. And the Cochise doesn't have a fully rockered sole so some boot soles might need a little sanding to fit/release correctly. From the base of the ski to the underside of the toe sole where it contacted the AFD was 37mm versus 41mm on the heel = 4mm delta.

I then reset the toe height to alpine & adjusted the forward pressure/AFD height to fit my 307mm Atomic alpine boots & the toe height was 38mm & the heel was 42mm = a matching 4mm delta.

In comparison the same two boots in a Duke give me a 6mm delta for the tech soled Cochise's & 1mm of delta for my alpine boots.

The weight of one toe, heel & 110mm brake is 1115g.

Hope this helps.

Just giving this thread a bump and keeping it on my radar.

I'd really like to try these with Dynafit Vulcans and use them in bounds.

Glad to hear opinions on that idea even if they're only theories right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    ...I was surprised that the height toe clearance with a 0.5mm feeler gauge was still very tight (too tight really) even though the AFD had bottomed out on it's adjustment. And the Cochise doesn't have a fully rockered sole so some boot soles might need a little sanding to fit/release correctly. From the base of the ski to the underside of the toe sole where it contacted the AFD was 37mm versus 41mm on the heel = 4mm delta..
    ...so this means I'm gonna blow my ACL again after cramming my Cochise into the Lord, just like I did with the Jester last year?

Already sanded down the soles and removed a couple lugs, so hopefully that will work better in these versus the Jester.

Fondled a pair of Lord SP's today; the toe isn't really on a tight sliding column as I assumed. The column is actually rectangular with horizontal ribs that fit into slots, and is loose-floating with a cam holds the post against the back side of a rectangular socket. Kind of an odd design, given that forward pressure from the heel is 100% against the cam. Once the cam is relaxed, you can pull the entire toe up and off the base. (Seems like it would better if the design used the forward pressure from the heel to enhance the position lock, instead of heel pressure trying to release the lock.)

Time will tell, but I wouldn't recommend ramming your ski tips into trees or other obstructions when the toe is in the "high" position for AT boots. If the two tiny little plastic horizontal ribs shear off, the toe will rotate forward and separate from the baseplate.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 11-03-2013 at 12:31 AM.

I did a dummy mount at 310mm BSL for my Cochise 120's with tech soles installed. With the forward pressure properly set I was surprised that the height toe clearance with a 0.5mm feeler gauge was still very tight (too tight really) even though the AFD had bottomed out on it's adjustment. And the Cochise doesn't have a fully rockered sole so some boot soles might need a little sanding to fit/release correctly. From the base of the ski to the underside of the toe sole where it contacted the AFD was 37mm versus 41mm on the heel = 4mm delta.
    Looked like the difference between the "high" and "low" toe positions is just over 5mm. So compared to a Griffon or Jester with adjustable AFD (Lord has the same AFD adjustment), the Lord with the toe in the "high" position gets you another 5mm.

I'll be eager to hear how the Lords fair on release tests with techier soled boots like the Vulcans and Maestrales.

Oh, and had a little Q&A with SI&I over email a couple weeks ago. They recommended the Lords for the setup I'm considering.

Gonna be using these bindings with Vulcans this season, I'll post an update on it all once I mount them up for those asking about it!

Quote Originally Posted by rushbikes View Post
    I'll be eager to hear how the Lords fair on release tests with techier soled boots like the Vulcans and Maestrales.
    Should be exactly the same as Duke/Baron/F12/F10, assuming the soles are ground or sanded a bit (if necessary) to have proper feeler gauge drag at the AFD.

I did a dummy mount at 310mm BSL for my Cochise 120's with tech soles installed. With the forward pressure properly set I was surprised that the height toe clearance with a 0.5mm feeler gauge was still very tight (too tight really) even though the AFD had bottomed out on it's adjustment. And the Cochise doesn't have a fully rockered sole so some boot soles might need a little sanding to fit/release correctly.
    ^^this is not encouraging for a binding that is supposed to solve this issue. i'll be staying tuned also

If you are rocking the WTR boot soles, you CAN get away with the adjustable toe height on the Jester/Griffon. If you have ultra techy boot soles, you should go with the Marker Lord or Salomon WTR bindings.
    *Of course, this is not endorsed by the binding manufacturers though.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

It's an interesting design, for sure. I was wondering why they didn't just raise the toepiece base 4mm (which would give it a 0 degree ramp) and elongate the AFD track - last time I tried wedging a true AT sole in a Jester (Scarpa Spirit 3) it was only short by about 3mm. The WTR thing is largely an attempt by Salomon to corral other boot manufacturers into endorsing the WTR standard (some are already onboard). It would be easy for them to make AT soles work in the STH/STH2 designs by simply using a moving AFD (my old 9xx bindings had one, and it would probably just screw on) - they already go high enough to accept an ISO Touring sole.

Picked up a pair of Griffons on sale thinking I could modify the AFD or baseplate to get enough range for my Maestrales, but it isn't going to happen. I don't know what Marker was thinking, just to fit a Cochise DIN sole you have to lower the AFD all the way. It's like they only designed the AFD adjustment to go from a brand-new DIN sole to worn-out DIN soles, and didn't even consider boots such as the Cochise with flat tech soles. Makes no sense.

Since the Lord only gets you another 5mm or 6mm of height, it wouldn't surprise me if some rockered tech soles still need a bit of grinding - even with the Lord toe in the high position.

bumping this up... I too am considering the Lord with the CAST/Si&i system.. Nordica Super Chargers for alpine (old but fit my feet so well) and Dyna Green Machines for AT.. this would be a great solution for me if the Lord performs with the Dynas..
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Mounted and tested the Scarpa Mobe with Lord SP recently.
    Tested Appropriately with the Vermont equipment at "recommended settings".

Entry is slightly tough as the heel is flat (and way thicker) as opposed to ramped like an alpine DIN sole but it does not seem to affect the forward release at all.

I would hesitate to crank these beyond the "recommended" settings before doing some on snow testing though.

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    If you are rocking the WTR boot soles, you CAN get away with the adjustable toe height on the Jester/Griffon. If you have ultra techy boot soles, you should go with the Marker Lord or Salomon WTR bindings.
    *Of course, this is not endorsed by the binding manufacturers though.
    Is this strictly concerning toe height? Because the Salomon WTRs don't have a mechanical AFD and don't release properly on a rubber sole. That's why they say to only use with a Salomon WTR sole block. I believe they have a piece of hard DIN plastic where it makes contact with the AFD.

Mounted Lord SPs last night. Same hole pattern as Jester/Griffon/Squire. Required minor sole grind Maestrale RS 29.5-30 shell to fit. No biggie, actually results in a bit more rocker and leaves plenty of lug depth. Plan to ski them tomorrow. Interesting design.
    Last edited by Big Steve; 12-20-2013 at 10:32 AM.

^^ Did you get out on those?
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

Yes

Big Steve, Pics of the grind?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Any more updates here? Am considering these to be used w/ Dyanfit Mercury's.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo