Return to skiing...give me some hope

So I am sure questions like this have been posted, but I tried searching and couldn't find anything. To give you background on THE INJURY...

June 25th-ACL reconstruction with a hamstring graft. Also had a bucket handle medial menisus tear that they were able to mostly stitch up, removing just a tiny section. I was on crutches for 6 weeks. I am currently 10 weeks and two days out. PT is going well, however I am still having trouble fully straightening my knee. It takes a lot of effort. Anyone have some good stretches out there for me? The one I see the most results from is hanging my leg off the side of the bed while I am face down.

Also, I was wondering if anyone out there has had similar surgeries and when you were able to get back skiing. Honestly, I have cried more over not being able to get a full season in than any other part of this injury. I am a 25 year old female and in pretty good shape. I know I don't need to push it and reinjure myself, but I was hoping to get back by the 6 month mark, which funny enough, is on Christmas Day. Christmas miracle anyone??

Thanks for reading.

listen to your PT/OT, not the internet

stick around...we need more chicas here (i'll let someone else issue the more formal welcome)

I don't know how long it will take you personally, but having blown the crap out of a knee that ended up three surgeries deep, I can say that you will make it back. And not just to the green runs. I thought my ski days were over after coming off the first surgery - I understand the anxiety and frustration you are feeling.

As acinpdx says, do what your therapists tell you to do. Significantly more is as detrimental as significantly less. When the PT says you can, spend time on a bike and walking. While walking, pay attention to not limping and taking symmetrical strides.

The first runs will be scary, but you will eventually pay less attention to your healed knee and have fun.

You will make it back - making it by Christmas is a good goal and goals are important for recovering. This is coming from someone who had a partial knee replacement 2 years ago and a patella resurfacing 6 weeks ago. It has been a fight for me as well to reach full extension but that 'hanging the legs off the bed' thing is the best exercise I have found for getting it back. As others have said, those first few turns will be scary - I hope to have mine right around Christmas as well. Just stick to your PT and don't get crazy when you start feeling better. Best of luck with your recovery.

Ask your PT how many times a day you can do your take home exercises. Do them that many times. If you have any extra weight to lose, lose it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

Cool, thanks for the info guys. I had a 12 week follow up appointment today with my doc. She said my ACL felt strong. The stiffness might come from the graft adhering tightly, which isn't a bad thing. If I had just had my ACL done I'd be released to start running but since I had my meniscus repaired, I'm still limited. She did seem optimistic about a Christmas ski date which is awesome. Now the question is whether or not to lose one of my passes for the year or keep them both...

Checkout this Thread - http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ition-after-PT

Rob Wolf seems to know his shit. He may be able to help you in the transition from PT to strength and conditioning.

Cold packs are your friend to help with swelling. Do the PT, your body can heal itself, give it time. Being only 25 you might bounce right back. Way my Doc told me they put it back together tight as it will loosen up over time.

For me 20 yrs ago and 30ish took better part of a year but everyone is different. Mine was the patellar graft ACL procedure.

I was able to get a stationary bike which helped me alot early on when my range of motion was better. I also used the rubber stretchy bands progressing thru the different ones. Did a fair amount of water resistance work along with the weight machines.

Bottom line is you will get back to skiing if you want it.

Good luck!
    watch out for snakes

As someone who tore MCL and likely ACL last weekend, am very interested in if you made your Christmas date, and how it's going?

Check the ACL Class of 2012 or 2013 threads. Lots of good Information there. I had a similar injury and surgery, and issues getting my knee to 0 degrees of extension. My surgery was march 1 and have 20 days already this year ( 1st day back was in Oct). You got this!!!

Dude, it'll happen.