Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

2013/14 Bloated Ski Quiver (are 6 pairs too many?)

I have managed to rent a cabin in Glacier, WA from Dec. 1/13 – April 30/14 for the upcoming Baker season. And I am only teaching Mondays and Tuesdays all winter term. Have quit my soccer team. Most days ever in a season is 52 days. Wed. – Sunday off = gonna try for 80 days this winter.

I will agree that my ski quiver below is bloated. So what. Also, I am not trying to brag here. I just love quiver building and “quiver justification” discussions. So if this offends you I don't really care.

I spent years with 1 ski in my quiver, but now am older (46), have the means and I think it just a matter of household resource allocation. I don’t go to the bar, bought a cheap house outside of Vancouver, drive a 2007 pickup, don’t do fancy trips on planes and I do extra CPA work to pay for fun stuff.....imagine 52 weekends a year drinking in a bar x $100 per weekend is $5,200 (my ski quiver cost $4,799 – see Appendix 1).

Ended last year with a quiver of 187 Hojis, 184 Bibbys, 184 Deathwishes, 182 PBandJs and 181 LibTech Pipe NASs. Sold the PBandJs and Pipe NASs in spring. Just sold the Bibbys and also dumped my MFD plates and have gone Sollyfits.

WTF with 6 pairs of skis? The overlap issue and having 6 pairs of skis is not my fault. Eg I just sold my last years 184cm Bibbys (1 mount) for $375 then turn on the computer and see 4FRNT YLEs for $315 (new) from Backcountry during the Labor Day sale. Could not resist.

And picture yourself waking up in a cabin at Baker….what to bring up to the hill each day? I was kind of trying to set up a 2 ski per day quiver in 3 approx. waist widths: ie around 120mm waists for deep Baker days, 110mm waists for packed powder days and 100mm-105mm waists for non-pow days.

In each waist width category I also wanted one ski to rage/charge with and then one ski to take it easy on (cause I am getting old). I also like skis with rocker that matches sidecut in soft snow. And I will do some sidecountry stuff. Ski boots to rule them all are Tecnica Cochise Pro ATs (120 flex) with interchangeable alpine and tech soles.

Deep days (120ish waist):
    186cm 4FRNT Renegade (135/122/129) - Dynafit Radical/Sollyfit STH 16 (charging in deep pow)
    187cm 4FRNT YLEs (140/119/140) - 4FRNT Deadbolt 15 (pretty close to center mount, for goofing around in deep pow)

Soft but not deep days (110ish waist):
    187cm 4FRNT Hoji 187cm (130/112/121) - Dynafit Radical/Sollyfit STH 16 (raging on soft days, packed pow)
    184cm Moment Deathwish (138/112/129), Rossignol FKS 180 (goofing around in packed pow)

No fresh (100-105ish waist):
    182cm Moment Belafonte (135/106/124) - Dynafit Radical/Sollyfit STH 16 (raging groomers, ice & steeps)
    183cm Line Blend (132/100/122) - Rossignol FKS 180 (taking it easy after the Belafontes kill me)

I invite thoughts/comments/your quiver/general ranting about skis etc.

APPENDIX 1

Cost of skis ($2,764)
    Ren $475 – Alpine Starthaus
    YLE $315 - Backcountry
    Hoji $749 – Backcountry (only pair I have ever paid full retail for!)
    Deathwish $475 – Glacier Ski Shop
    Belafonte $400 – Porters Tahoe
    Blend $349 – Als Ski Barn

Cost of bindings ($2,035)
    3 Sollyfits ($360) – bindingfreedom.com
    1 Dynafit Radical ($424) – Evo
    2 Rossi FKS 180 ($620) – ebay/Bentgate
    2 Salomon STH 16 ($500) - Evo
    1 Deadbolt 15 ($150) - SAC

TOTAL $2,764 + 2,035 =$4,799 – seems like a lot until you talk to someone who windsurfs, has a motorbike, boat etc
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-09-2020 at 12:53 PM.

you missed this thread: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...c-Rerun-Thread

im sure there is room in there for some discussion....
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

nice plan for the upcoming season...

with baker snowfall, I'd venture to guess that you might find yourself wanting an uber fatty, something in the 130'ish range???

praxis protest, pon2oon, whitedot redeemers, dps 138's, comi-kazi or other moment fat offering or some fat on3p's
    Aggressive in my own mind

Before I sell anything off this year, I have:

186 Renegade w/ninja 916s
    186 EHP w/Sollyfits and STH16s
    189 Turbo w/Dukes
    187 MSP w/916s
    192 m777 w/STH16s
    188 Whitedot Directors (maybe get some Dukes?)
    186 Blizzard Bodacious w/916s
    193 Atomic Bentchetlers w/916s

And a plethora of bindings.

I think I'm going to sell most, if not all of the 4frnts.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

187 Kastle MX98 w/FFG14 daily driver
    188 DPS Wailer 105 w/Plum touring
    191 Movement Goliath w/FFG14 charger

i've got a bit of overlap in the fatties category, but they're all a little different:

191 PMGear Lhasa Fat w/Sollyfit (a handful of days)
    190 DPS Lotus 120 (Flex3) w/Sollyfit (~20 days on different iterations of the 120)
    189 DPS Lotus 120 Spoon w/Griffon Demo (i hope to demo this ski a bit more as i only put 3 days on it last season)
    196 4FRNT Renegade w/ inserts for FKS & Plum (haven't skied them yet)
    202 DPS Lotus 138 w/ inserts for Plum (haven't skied them yet either)

time for .... POWDER SKI DEATH MATCH!

i will probably simplify a bit by the end of the season.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

I got a lot of snow sliding tools at least 12 pair of everything from nordic blades to 223 DH/ 4 bikes/ 3 kayaks all of which some people with the wrong values would call excessive but but REALLY they are fucking cheap compared to any toy that has an engine, they are all pretty much depreciated to where I wouldn't get much for them, they were mostly scored cheap on the bro deal and if they sit there unused for a season or 2 it doesn't cost me a cent

If you got dups from some trading or used buying think of them as poker chips in the game but remember everything has a shelf life, if you are not using something try to trade for something of karmic value vs money cuz it always feels better IMO
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^^^ agreed, i've had ~10 pair of skis that i sold w/o ever skiing, but they were all stepping stones to get where i'm at now (and went to happy households).

I traded my breville espresso maker to an extremely broke neighbor for the 223's, so beside the superior karma it gave me a reason to buy a better espresso maker

be brave wait for the right deal, you just have to believe it will work out

its like I think religion would be if I were religious ... but with gear eh?

I think that you have too many skis if:

1. You really need the money you cold get out of them for something else.
    2. You have no place to store them
    3. The amount of skis you own ends up detracting rather than adding to your enjoyment of the sport due to constantly worrying about what ski you should use today/should I change out for something else.

If none of those are applicable to you, well then enjoy all the skis!

Love this stupid game.

178 Dynastar Legend 8800's with Look ZRS: early and late season abuse
    180 Blizzard Bushwacker with Dukes: bumps and skiing with wife, mom, nephews
    180 CountDown 4's with Dynafits: spring touring/ ski mountaineering
    185 Blizzard Cochise with inserts for Dynafits and Dukes: inbounds daily driver and travel ski
    187 Praxis MVP's with inserts for Dynafits and Dukes: winter touring and travel ski #2
    195 Worth Mega Georges with inserts for Dynafits and Dukes: powder slayer and ass hauler!!!!!

No overlap as far as I'm concerned. And I love looking at them.

Skis I regret selling most:

180 Praxis BC
    190 Lotus 120 Pures

Skis I most want to try:

Lotus 120 Spoons
    Prior Husume XTC
    G3 Zen Oxide C3

I Love it kc_7777!!! I love to quiver build just as you. It is healthy.

I think you have a nice collection of skis. For myself I always build to around 5 or 6 and then I just want to dump 1/2 of them because I think (for me anyways) a 3 ski quiver is best.

I have played with moment ruby, hellbent, belafonte, bibby, RP112, Rens, Goatama, GPO, Bonafides, DPS 99's in the last 2-3 years. This year I am settling in with a not-so-good-day 187 Blizzard Bonafide, Good everyday chargy/fun ski - GPO 192 as well as all pow: 196 Renegades. Touring bindings via SI&I (STH 16) on GPO/RENs.

Maybe you will end up thinning your quiver as you tend to ski a few skis more often. I agree with one of the above posters that you will probably want a super-fat like DPS 138, Spoon, etc for those EPIC days.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I got a lot of snow sliding tools .....all of which some people with the wrong values would call excessive but but REALLY they are fucking cheap compared to any toy that has an engine,
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    its like I think religion would be if I were religious ... but with gear eh?
    ^^These 2 quotes are bang on.

I have also bought and then sold some skis without skiing them.....my worst regret is I actually owned some 182cm Moment Comis ( the swallowtail, 135mm waist version) and sold them without skiing them. WTF?

This thread is giving me the desire to search for pair #7.....130mm+

And I forgot to mention my two sons' quiver: 177cm 4FRNT YLEs, 174cm Moment Bibbys, 176cm Moment Ghost Chants, 174cm Belafontes, 173cm Line Blends, 171cm Line Stepups.....

KC
    Last edited by kc_7777; 10-09-2013 at 11:09 PM.

the n+1 rule applies to just about everything.

Stiff flex 186 comis? Mounted once

Lets see:
    I live in Seattle, last year I skied less than 20 days, planning for more this year.
    I had: wide->narrow
    193 ON3P Cease and Desist (128mm) w/ alpine bindings
    189 Pettitors (skied once, standard K2 POS, now gone)
    196 Blizzard Bodacious (118mm) w/ alpine
    191 Billy Goat (118?) w/alpine
    190 Rocker2 108 (111mm) w/ dynafit
    186 Vicik (104mm?) w/ dukes

Planning on selling the rocker2's and possibly bodacious.

hoping to add:
    186 RPC 112 (will get dynafits)
    184 Cham 97 HM (dynafits as well)

hopefully I will average more than 3 days per pair this season.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    the n+1 rule applies to just about everything.
    And rule #5

I've been known to own a few pairs of skis myself, so understand that I know intimately your problem. But I'm breaking my self-imposed 4-year-long grad-school TGR hiatus to offer the following advice: if you're going to spend that much on skis/bindings, you need to consider what other ski gear you're giving up. It's too easy to just buy more skis. Yeah, new skis are super fun, but are they really the best return on investment if your goal is to improve your skiing (so you can have more fun)? If the goal is to optimize the amount of fun you have skiing, you really need to think hard to be sure you're not missing an obvious way to have more fun with that money. For example:

1. Boots. I would get yourself a good pair of ALPINE boots. None of this AT one-boot-to-rule-them-all shit. The Cochise is a good boot...but it is not in the same league as a pair of stiff, performance-fit alpine boots. See my signature for my standard disclaimer, and I'm sure I'll get a bunch of flak from people who rip super hard in a crossover AT boot, but I still maintain that those people would ski better on dedicated alpine boots. Frankly, while stiffness is part of the issue, a larger part of it is fit, and AT boots rarely fit as well.

2. Lessons. Consider investing in lessons or a camp (like Gordycamp). I know it sounds cheesy/lame, but I learned a ton at gordycamp this season and I'm not too bad at skiing. Getting better at skiing means improving your technique—which is more than just going faster, hucking bigger, spinning/flipping more, or improving your fitness. I learned how to get back to basics at the camp, and realized that I have been dropping my hands like CRAZY. (The video analysis doesn't lie. I was shocked and spent the rest of the season trying to undo years of skiing with my hands in my pockets.) There are many other options/avenues to progress your skiing so you have more fun besides just skiing more or buying more skis. Frankly, the $1000-$1500 total I spent on the three-day camp (+1 one extra day of skiing) was *well* worth the cost. I'm down to 5 pairs of skis from 11, and I'm certain that I made the right decision to spend the additional money on a camp.

3. Diet/exercise. Do you need to join a gym? Or maybe hire a personal trainer to help you overcome nagging injuries or compensation issues? Ever consider getting a weekly massage to help that lagging knee injury go away? Perhaps you should spend more money on fresh veggies? I can think of a ton of reasons why a new pair of skis is useless if you can't ski on your bum knee/ankle/hip/etc. I hope you're healthy and fit, but if fitness/injuries are a limiting factor in how much or well you ski, highly consider spending money on that over another pair of skis.

Anyway, back to my hiatus. Keep on keepin' on.

PS. Use inserts to save money on binders.
    PPS. I think I'd be happy inbounds with just the 186 Ren and the 191 Billy Goat.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 09-03-2013 at 08:34 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I've seen a ghost!

6 pairs of skis too much? Krikey there are 7 days in a week, and 30ish in a month.

Why limit yourself as long as you can still ski, sleep and eat?

I visited the Intuition factory out let in Vancover for new liners at the end of last season which I highly recommend and I got a smoking deal on some gigawatts from MEC but I really don't need anything except maybe I buy a huskavarna 353 tomorrow for the side country work

September means it is time to train ... for the rest of life

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I've been known to own a few pairs of skis myself
    Understatement of the century.

Getting better at skiing means improving your technique—which is more than just going faster, hucking bigger, spinning/flipping more, or improving your fitness.

Frankly, the $1000-$1500 total I spent on the three-day camp...
    ...is about the same as you spend on a single pair of skis.

As alluded to previously, if you think you need 6 pairs of skis to conquer the mtns your $ would probably be better spent getting some lessons.

On the other hand if you have the hoarding gene, skis are relatively innocuous compared to collecting stray cats or plush toys.

I am guilty and am proud of it... Here is my current line up...:

185 Volkl Racetiger GS
    187 Head Monster IM 82
    187 Stockli XXL
    187 Movement Thunder
    190 Gold Goats
    186 1st Gen ON3P Viciks (Grizzly Corn topsheet and extra carbon)
    186 2nd Gen ON3P Viciks
    190 Line Sir Francis Bacon (new this year)
    193 Praxis MVP (new this year)
    191 ON3P Wren (selling these as the Billy Goats took its place)
    190 Moment Bibby Pro (new this year)
    192 Line Mr. Pollards Opus
    191 Billy Goat

Here is my take - many of the skis were bought new and at the end of the year... If I had to just keep 3 it would be the Movement Thunder, 193 Praxis MVP and 191 Billy Goat... Except for the new ones purchased this year I skiied everyone last year and each one has it own characteristics and fun factor... I grew up ski racing and have always loved big, stiff chargy skis, but for some odd reason demod the Line skis and had a blast and they bring something to my quiver that was not there... Sure I could unload the Gold Gots and Viciks, but why...? I dont need the money and the pleasure I get from them is much greater than what I would sell them for...

Now with all that said I completely agree with Auvgeek... I have always been in shape, but a good friend of mine who I ran with started using a personal trainer and I of course followed... By far one the best things I could have done... It greatly improved my strength, agility, balance and endurance and the affects were huge on my skiing...

And this year I am doing one of Gordy's camps... I have been saying this for some time, but I am doing it this year... I am very confident in my skiing, but I know the amount I will learn from them and what they will push me to do will help me reach that next level...

Thanks,
    Undertow (who absolutely loves a huge bloated ski quiver)

6 isn't that bad.

191 Billygoats (powder)
    191 Wrenegades (powder at Breck/Abasin)

183 Head 103 (alpine chalk)

186 Stockli XXL (early season charging)
    183 Head m82 (early season bumps/ribbon)

186 Billygoats (early season touring and powder)
    186 Kusula (powder touring)
    180 Bushwacker (spring touring)

If I had to pick 3: Billygoats, Head 103, and Bushwackers

I would never want to go under 3. The Billygoats work as an everyday ski, and are an amazing powder ski. I could go with 2, as the Head 103 is pretty special purpose, but it does what it does sooo fucking good. Just way too much fun to not keep. The Bushwacker could be stretched into an early season, bumps, goof around and spring touring ski.

Having early season skis makes a big difference here though, lots of rocks for the first 3 months of every season.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 09-04-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Ive been trying to get back to a six ski quiver current quiver
    189 Watea 120
    184 Custom Bluehouse Precinct with T&C surf Graphics
    184 Cham's Up for sale to be replaced with YTB
    183 Rossi Axioms
    179 Palmer P01 ski with my kids ski.

You can never have to many
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/