Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Lets see:
    I live in Seattle, last year I skied less than 20 days, planning for more this year.
    I had: wide->narrow
    193 ON3P Cease and Desist (128mm) w/ alpine bindings
    189 Pettitors (skied once, standard K2 POS, now gone)
    196 Blizzard Bodacious (118mm) w/ alpine
    191 Billy Goat (118?) w/alpine
    190 Rocker2 108 (111mm) w/ dynafit
    186 Vicik (104mm?) w/ dukes
    How did you like those R2 108s with the Dynafiddles? I have a pair and often thought of doing the same, but at nearly 5lbs per ski, I thought otherwise. Curious to hear your thoughts on that set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    I am guilty and am proud of it... Here is my current line up...:

185 Volkl Racetiger GS
    187 Head Monster IM 82
    187 Stockli XXL
    187 Movement Thunder
    190 Gold Goats
    186 1st Gen ON3P Viciks (Grizzly Corn topsheet and extra carbon)
    186 2nd Gen ON3P Viciks
    190 Line Sir Francis Bacon (new this year)
    193 Praxis MVP (new this year)
    191 ON3P Wren (selling these as the Billy Goats took its place)
    190 Moment Bibby Pro (new this year)
    192 Line Mr. Pollards Opus
    191 Billy Goat

And this year I am doing one of Gordy's camps... I have been saying this for some time, but I am doing it this year... I am very confident in my skiing, but I know the amount I will learn from them and what they will push me to do will help me reach that next level...

Thanks,
    Undertow (who absolutely loves a huge bloated ski quiver)
    What year are those Wrens? Wanna sell 'em to me? Shoot a PM.

Also, I'm in your boat for Gordy's camp. Had the coin to do it last year, but no time. I'm making time this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    How did you like those R2 108s with the Dynafiddles? I have a pair and often thought of doing the same, but at nearly 5lbs per ski, I thought otherwise. Curious to hear your thoughts on that set-up.
    Well it was my first pair of skis with tech bindings, so it was still lbs lighter than I was used to. Never really worked out how I envisioned. I like the ski, but it has way to much tail for practical touring. I ended up mounting a few cm back of mid point, which still left me with to much tail, and an under performing ski.

I'm down to two pairs this year which is damn near a miracle.

Magics + CAST/fks18s for everything
    Tahoes + fks18s for bumps
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

I'm actually up to six for this year too, though really I have three skis I might use regularly.

Rock skis: Head Mojo 90s
    Very hard snow: Fischer Progressor 9+
    Everyday: Head Rock n Roll 95s (new for this year, replacing the Mojos)
    Lots of snow: ON3P Billy Goats
    Touring: Elan Zen Masters with Naxos (if I put Dukes on the Rock n Rolls, these probably won't get used)
    Sitting in California for visits to my brother (and his use at Squaw and Alpine): OG Praxis Freerides

I don't need the money, have the space, and there is little enough overlap that I rarely have to think about what ski I should be using on any given day (save maybe just after big dumps), so I'm not wasting much time thinking when I should be skiing. Six seems to work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    nice plan for the upcoming season...

with baker snowfall, I'd venture to guess that you might find yourself wanting an uber fatty, something in the 130'ish range???

praxis protest, pon2oon, whitedot redeemers, dps 138's, comi-kazi or other moment fat offering or some fat on3p's
    Just for the record....I am not some fat old guy, I am in shape (with good knees) -- I can still play soccer with 20 year olds.

And I just talked to Moment.....they have some of the swallowtail Comis (160/135/145) left from 2012......quiver likley going to 7.

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 10-09-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Too many? Shut your whore mouth.
    Click. Point. Chute.

^^^ snicker.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

kc, Comis rule. Enjoy. Mine are the 186 sans swallow tail, awesome deep pow deep crud resort ski. I'm down to a 2 ski active duty quiver for this year, (Concept/GPO) because I felt I got better as a skier when I focused mostly on making one pair work in whatever the condition, but man... If I had a potential 80 day season in the future I'd be right there with you, nice quiver.

My goal is to cover every waist size from 116 to 130. So far 116, 117, 120, 125 and 128. Will get 122 this year
    Other suggestions?
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    My goal is to cover every waist size from 116 to 130. So far 116, 117, 120, 125 and 128. Will get 122 this year
    Other suggestions?
    118: 191 Billy Goat or Blizzard Bodacious
    127: Dynastar Cham 127 or On3p Cease and Desist - best superfat ever?
    I too, enjoy the smell of overlap in the morning.
    Last edited by XavierD; 09-05-2013 at 12:06 AM.

Well it was my first pair of skis with tech bindings, so it was still lbs lighter than I was used to. Never really worked out how I envisioned. I like the ski, but it has way to much tail for practical touring. I ended up mounting a few cm back of mid point, which still left me with to much tail, and an under performing ski.
    That's sort of what I thought when I bought mine last season, but I was always tempted to try them as a BC ski. Looks like my intuition was right. Thanks for the beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    Too many? Shut your whore mouth.
    lulz
    I too, enjoy the smell of overlap in the morning.
    More lulz

Speaking of delicious smells:

187 Blizzard Atlas Titan: used for early or late season groomers and rock skis. Or, as my casual skier girlfriend calls them, my "Sun Valley skis."
    187 Legend Pro XXLs: My day after storm ski for Big Sky or Moonlight.
    190 Rocker 2 108s: Small amounts of fresh snow or soft snow days at Bridger. Fun, but floppy and not meant for hard pack or charging
    190 Bibby Pros: the big day ski. F-in' love these things.
    186 Vicks (non tour): 2011/2012 version mounted with Dynafits. Work rather well, but I'm swapping them out for some Viciks Tours and I'll use the old version as a daily driver with alpine binders.

And because I want even more overlap, I'll soon procure a set of 190 Wrenegades ... because n+1, that's why.

This is like therapy... Or enablement, not sure which, but whatever...

185 Blizzard Cochise
    184 Fatypus Dsender
    183 Volkl Shiro
    187 Blizzard Kabookie
    185 Nordica Hell and Back (that I picked up for almost nothing at the Start Haus Blem sale)

Probably some overlap there and definitely trying to thin but each of one of these is super fun in their own way so to me, no overlap...
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

OK, I'll play. I've also been having quiver guilt as of late. Constantly fighting the urge to ski hoard. I ski on the east coast with 2-3 weeks out west/year and tour mostly in NH. Generally ski 30-50 days/year. I'm 5'6, 140 lbs.

175 Praxis Pow
    173 Icelantic Shaman
    169 Icelantic Pilgrim
    168 Kastle MX88

and the BC quiver, mounted for plums with binding freedom inserts:
    K2 Coomback 174
    Dynafit Baltoro 168

Too much? Overkill? You bet. I'm often embarrassed to tell my friends. But I sleep well at night, and if I don't, I just get up and look at my skis

That said, thinking of selling the shamans for cheap. Never really liked 'em. But don't have anything at the moment to fill that gap. Any thoughts appreciated.

My quiver 'problem' is that I can't seem to give up some of the older stuff.

In all honesty I could probably get by just fine with my Cochise, Spats, and new 9d8s... but skis like the Explosiv, home-rockered Pow + (pond skimming weapons) and 183 euro bros will probably always be hanging on my wall to be brought out for occasional use.

Add in a couple of tele set-ups that get skied a handful of times a year when out with slower family and friends and an active 8-10 ski quiver just seems to make sense..
    Last edited by JayPowHound; 09-05-2013 at 05:35 AM.

I used to have 11 skis in my quiver, last winter I narrowed it down to just 3 pairs for Tahoe

Arg's for tight tree's and pillow lines

182 moment Comi's for open bowels and all mountain

2012 line influence 115 in 186 for everything else.

I think having a smaller quiver will make you a better skier, your forced to make a ski work in all conditions

That's awesome you can still get comi's from moment, They are the funniest ski, they are light and very agile for there size, way lighter then my 115's , about the same as ARG's. They are still the first ski I grab unless it's total ice. I can't believe you already did not have a 130+ or reverse- reverse ski in your quiver sking at Baker.

Does one include XC skis in the quiver count? If so, 6 aint enough. Not even close. And now that I've discovered the joy of fat fishscales (Charger BC) I'm really fucked.

Been there...done that. Down to four pair and ski two of them most of the time. Between Squad 7's and Cochise's, I am strangely satisfied.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Six seems about right for me in Tahoe. Skis are relatively cheap (particularly when buying used and using plates to swap bindings) compared to all the other costs of skiing (season pass, gas, etc.) so might as well have the right ones for the conditions. Only including skis with bindings (or at least plates) that I've actually used in the last year:

165 Elan SLX - race stock slalom ski for ice skating days (usually AM waiting for anything off the groomers to soften). Also trying to keep up with my kids on a race course.
    177 Karhu Storm - old BC skis, mostly spring/summer use.
    180 BD Zealot - ~4 years old (first year green topsheets), pretty much trashed, replaced by the Belas. Now in rotation as rock skis.
    182 Moment Belafonte - my daily drivers. Love these skis in almost any conditions. My go-to skis for winter BC though I have skins for most of the rest as well (except the Elans).
    186 ON3P Billy Goat - pow/crud/slush (anything soft), particularly pow hunting in the days after a storm.
    189 BD Megawatts - deep pow. These are pretty beat but still good in the untouched, knee deep or more. I switch to the Billy Goats when it starts getting punched out.

That doesn't include skate skis, XCD, etc. of course.

As I've said before, a large quiver of very specific skis works well at a place like Baker where you can easily run to the car as conditions change. And clearly the skis make you happy and aren't causing financial issues, so enjoy.

At Whistler where the car involves a 45 minute ordeal of ski-outs and uploads and conditions encountered in a single day match the range found over an entire winter, versatility has been the key for me. I have opted for a 2 ski quiver where each ski could work as a 1-ski quiver on their own with slightly different hard snow/soft snow bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    That's sort of what I thought when I bought mine last season, but I was always tempted to try them as a BC ski. Looks like my intuition was right. Thanks for the beta.

lulz

More lulz

Speaking of delicious smells:

187 Blizzard Atlas Titan: used for early or late season groomers and rock skis. Or, as my casual skier girlfriend calls them, my "Sun Valley skis."
    187 Legend Pro XXLs: My day after storm ski for Big Sky or Moonlight.
    190 Rocker 2 108s: Small amounts of fresh snow or soft snow days at Bridger. Fun, but floppy and not meant for hard pack or charging
    190 Bibby Pros: the big day ski. F-in' love these things.
    186 Vicks (non tour): 2011/2012 version mounted with Dynafits. Work rather well, but I'm swapping them out for some Viciks Tours and I'll use the old version as a daily driver with alpine binders.

And because I want even more overlap, I'll soon procure a set of 190 Wrenegades ... because n+1, that's why.
    Welp... after a tour of the ON3P factory from Iggy himself, I have myself a new (to me) pair of Wrens. Having family local to Portland has its benefits, it seems.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TGR Forums

Currently have the following in the quiver...

11/12 191 billy goats w/ fks 185
    11/12 191 wrenegade w/ fks 180
    11/12 186 renegade w/ STH 16
    12/13 190 squad 7 w/ fks 180
    10/11 186 billy goat with PX 15
    09/10 186 bibby pro flat
    188 RC 112... Still deciding on clamps
    Spatulas with 912 demos
    11/12 189 Pon2oons flat (would like to sell)
    11/12 196 bibby special (would like to sell)

Things have gotten outta control... It has to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Does one include XC skis in the quiver count? If so, 6 aint enough. Not even close. And now that I've discovered the joy of fat fishscales (Charger BC) I'm really fucked.
    > a doz would include xc skis which is where I have the overlap, 3 pair of skate skis is excessive but I got 2 pair of used/skis cheap

I don't really have overlap in at/alpine/tele skis, got a light & heavy tele setup, widish GS ski with alpine, 5 point with FR+,stupid fat rocker with alpine, verts on stokes, 223 dh

Actualy I could use a 120 ish charger like the 120 lotus ...maybe end of season
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Incidentally.....was bringing home 2 pairs of YLES (187s for me and 177s for my son) and my new 182 Belafontes last week thru the border at Sumas.

I declared them. Border guard asked me why I had so many skis and if I was reselling them. I told her it was none of her business how many skis I owned.........so after the 20 minute truck search they let me through.

n+1 = 7 is the new magic number.....just talked to Moment, some 2012 Comis (swallowtail) shipping out to me next week. Gonna Sollyfit them for Baker sidecountry pow.

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 10-09-2013 at 11:13 PM.

First time in a while the quiver is feeling pretty dialed:

Resort:
    190 Explosive w/997s
    188 Rossignol RC112 w/997s
    190 DPS W112 Hybrid w/dynaduke

Touring:
    182 Praxis yeti speed radicals
    186 DPS RPC Pure with radical STs
    192 DPS Lotus 138 Pure with dynaduke
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Incidentally.....was bringing home 2 pairs of YLES (187s for me and 177s for my son) and my new 182 Belafontes last week thru the border at Sumas.

I declared them. Border guard asked me why I had so many skis and if I was reselling them. I told her it was none of her business how many skis I owned.........so after the 20 minute truck search they let me through.

^^^ damn right.

i smell bacon!!
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...