Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    No SuperBROs?
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    mmmm, i bet your house has lots of flapjacks (and other things that one cooks with spatulas).

and, i sold two pairs of skis today, so i'm back down to six pairs.
    damn i feel skinny!
    And i feel fatter.

^^^ 196 Rens on the way up to you.
    and my back-up pair of 120s headed out to tyestick.

got to get that van fixed.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

If you've ever spent much time at baker, you'd realize that each run you take will have changing conditions at least 3 times per run, on every run. Unless you are planning on buying 30 pairs of skis, stashing a pair of skis at multiple points on each run, and then paying an army of slaves to shuffle them around the mountain, you're better off with 1 pair of skis to rule them all Also, based on your nerdiness, when you hear some sketchy looking dirtbags heckling you to stop sucking from the lift, then afterwards buy the first pitcher in the lodge and say hi
    smoke crack and worship satan

Quote Originally Posted by White Chocolate View Post
    If you've ever spent much time at baker, you'd realize that each run you take will have changing conditions at least 3 times per run, on every run. Unless you are planning on buying 30 pairs of skis, stashing a pair of skis at multiple points on each run, and then paying an army of slaves to shuffle them around the mountain, you're better off with 1 pair of skis to rule them all Also, based on your nerdiness, when you hear some sketchy looking dirtbags heckling you to stop sucking from the lift, then afterwards buy the first pitcher in the lodge and say hi
    Ha! - assume you are talkin to me. You are bang on on the conditions changing often and quickly at Baker....often light, deeper (real) snow on the top third of Chair 6 then heavy, condensed pow in the mid third and then some kind of just above freezing hardpack sticky yet icy stuff at the bottom. The Lib NAS Pows used to float up top and then rip up the icier bottom parts.

Probly renting the Baker cabin for a couple of seasons....thats the plan anyway. This year I will ski my 7 pairs, and see what happens.....next year maybe 2 pairs (though the entire North American ski economy may crash if I stop buying).

And no problem buying beers for sketchy dirtbags! Pabst Blue Ribbon in the White Salmon lodge after every ski day.

K

188 praxis protests, g3 onyx/ look px15 combo
    184 salomon sentinel g3 onyx/ px15 combo
    186 head monster 88 wit targas
    190 head boneshakers with some new g3 enzos

Kinda missing a dedicated parallel charger but the protests are pretty versatile. I think I have all the bases covered

I got seven skis in my collection, all I've paid 1/4 to 1/2 price (okay, Dynafit I paid 2/3) of all my gear, retail is for suckers. I must thank Geartrade for & TGR forums for the bulk of my cheap deals

Deep Day Resort/Slackcounty
    191 Bluehouse Shoots (Salomon STH 16)
    196 4Frnt Renegade (Atomic FFG 16) (Thank you Geartrade I liked my quiver, until I saw them undrilled 60%)

Touring Setup
    189 Bluehouse Maestro (Dukes)
    188 4Frnt CRJ (Dynafit Radical)

Daily Driver/Quasi Deep Days
    194 Salomon El Dictator (Look P18)

Not So Deep Days
    191 CoreUPT Adrian Courier Pro (Look P18)
    189 K2 Seth Pistol (Atomic FFG 16) (Thrift Store steal!!!)
    Last edited by Altaholic; 10-27-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by SlippBC View Post
    I don't usually spend money on poles... But when I do I chose pollards series cause they're the bomb

Money for Poles???? I don't spend money on poles or gloves. In Jackson, you see a pleathora of Kinco/Flylow gloves & Scott rental poles (I have two pairs of them, they are the Series 4 model that actually are fairly tough), I really can't justify paying more for gloves or poles unless they are adjustable backcountry poles.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Original quiver

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Deep days (120ish waist):
    186cm 4FRNT Renegade (135/122/129) - Dynafit Radical/Sollyfit STH 16 (charging in deep pow)
    187cm 4FRNT YLEs (140/119/140) - 4FRNT Deadbolt 15 (pretty close to center mount, for goofing around in deep pow)
    Soft but not deep days (110ish waist):
    187cm 4FRNT Hoji 187cm (130/112/121) - Dynafit Radical/Sollyfit STH 16 (raging on soft days, packed pow)
    184cm Moment Deathwish (138/112/129), Rossignol FKS 180 (goofing around in packed pow)
    No fresh (100-105ish waist):
    182cm Moment Belafonte (135/106/124) - Dynafit Radical/Sollyfit STH 16 (raging groomers, ice & steeps)
    183cm Line Blend (132/100/122) - Rossignol FKS 180 (taking it easy after the Belafontes kill me)
    So....5 days at Baker so far this season in crap conditions. Already spent 6 nights in the cabin....had an awesome Thanksgiving dinner with all the fixings at Chair 9 last Thurs. Baker closed today due to rain.

Update on the quiver whoring.....

Bot some 182 Moment Comis for deep days. Mounted with Sollyfit plates so I did not have to dedicate a binding to this ski as I won't use it much. And after skiing the 186 Rens on Day 1 pow, I am not sure I need these Comis.

Sold the 183 Line Blends for $250 and bot 185 Scimitars for $299....came with a $130 Grenade watch!....then decided to mount with some Rottefella Freeride tele bindings (only $175 at STP) cause I got some Scarpa Comp NTN boots (reg $599) for only $60 (no liner, missing buckles). I had some extra Intuitions. Decided I will f' around with a stiff tele set up on groomer days.

Sold the 187 YLEs and bot 183 Faction Royales (150/122/140, 0 camber)....just wanted a fun no camber ski for deep and a wider ski than the YLEs which were too close to the Hojis. Got a sweet deal on the Factions (40% off at STP) = $350. Sold the YLEs for $300.

Sold the 184 Deathwishes for $300 shipped and bot 179 Faction Agents for $299 shipped (STP again) as needed a spring touring ski. Put Sollyfits on the Agents. I sold the DWs as they were mint and in demand. And they overlapped with my 187 Hojis and 182 Belafontes (which I love), it was a tough call but had to go as no room for a 1 ski quiver ski in a 7 ski quiver)

Best surprises so far this season.

Cannot say enough about the 182 Belafontes (2013s). The Belafontes are great in crap conditions and are making me decide not to buy 4FRNT Devastators for this season.

Also loving sollyfit plates (on Rens, Hojis, Comis and Agent 90s). Hiking so much better in tech bindings (Radicals + Tecnica Cochise Pro ATs). Don't even notice the Sollyfits under my STHs with the alpine soles.

And Line's new adjustable Eric Pollard paintbrush poles are perfect.

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 02-27-2014 at 07:55 PM.

This thread makes me feel much better about buying three pairs of skis in the last year. Now, it's not that I have a skiing problem, it's just that I happen to ski at a mountain with variable conditions.

This is like an AA meeting, but everyone starts out saying, "My name is Deast and I started out on a bottle of wine with dinner last night for the deep social discussion, then as conditions became a bit unpredictable I changed over to the Cuervo, but after everyone else got all tracked out I ended with some Macallan for a nice smooth ride to end the evening." Everyone complements me on my taste and selection of tools for the job and suggests that maybe I try this new tequila their uncle made that has a bit more backbone to it because I'm clearly too good for the Cuervo.

Quote Originally Posted by d542east View Post
    This thread makes me feel much better about buying three pairs of skis in the last year. Now, it's not that I have a skiing problem, it's just that I happen to ski at a mountain with variable conditions.

This is like an AA meeting, but everyone starts out saying, "My name is Deast and I started out on a bottle of wine with dinner last night for the deep social discussion, then as conditions became a bit unpredictable I changed over to the Cuervo, but after everyone else got all tracked out I ended with some Macallan for a nice smooth ride to end the evening." Everyone complements me on my taste and selection of tools for the job and suggests that maybe I try this new tequila their uncle made that has a bit more backbone to it because I'm clearly too good for the Cuervo.
    Ain't that the truth!

Currently:
    196 Renegade (yet to be skied)
    190 Bibbys - Love these and never selling them.
    186 Renegade w/SollyFit plates - The big-day-at-Bridger ski or a travel ski so I can either tour or alpine. (yet to be skied)
    191 ON3P Wrenegades - Total impulse purchase when I went to the ON3P factory and was trading war stories with Scott. Fucking love these skis in the three days I have on them. Much quicker edge-to-edge than I anticipated and they rip. Much easier to ski than their dimensions and length imply.
    190 Salomon R2s - My soft snow, small accumulation or storm skiing ski from last year. Soft as shit, but really fun and super turny. Given how fun the Wrens are, these just might be on the auction block soon.
    187 Legend Pro XXLs - These are never getting sold and are probably my favorite ski. They kill hippies, make women and children cry, and nothing stands in their way. I make no friends with Ski Patrol when on these. I love them more than a fat girl loves cake.
    186 Viciks - the current AT set-up. A full on beefer in the backcountry. Rad ski and I love it. More than likely, it's going to back to resort duty. Touring around in a 9.6 lb. ski ain't that fun in variable conditions.
    188 Moment Tahoes - Total impulse buy for groomer days. Love it with the two days I have on it. Probably going to take the place of my old Blizzard Titans.
    187 Blizzard Titans - my old groomer skis. Fast as fuck, but a huge shovel. Probably getting sent on down the line here soon.

On the list is a proper AT ski for variable and early/late season tours. (Fuck, I have a problem!)

So....to update.....lots of shit happening in my life.

Since last post on this thread:

I got separated from my wife (was a long-term marriage, it sucks, she is a nice person but she turned into a non-skier over time, all I do is ski.....we are just too different now.....your fault tgr).

I got in way better shape (funny how a separation does that....some said that early in this thread - it is key).

I have skied another 50 more days (close to 60 now this season).

I discovered metal filled skis kill it inbounds at Baker.

I don't give a rip about anything except skiing fast. And my 2 sons.

In nutshell....tried the Comis they are too fucking wide, rode Rens and loved them but let's be serious conditions are just never Ren-like for long (and Hojis are a better all around ski), bought some Nordica Helldorados.....god damn I love this ski so much (185cm, two sheets of titanal), Helldorados made the Belafontes obsolete, tried tele it is stupid....sold the Scimitars....also sold the Faction Agent 90s and gave my Faction Royales to my son.

New quiver....lean like me:

184cm Nordica Ace of Spades, a very stiff park/pipe ski (113/86/113)....mounted with STH 16s at -2cm, full camber and 2 sheets of titanal...they weigh a ton....these rip ice and groomers like no other ski I have ever been on. Have had multiple lectures from the speed police on these.

185cm Nordica Helldorados (143/113/132), lots of titanal in these, mounted with STH 16s at -4cm, also heavy as fack!....but the perfect one ski quiver at Baker, handles pow, crud, slush, ice, slop, sticky manky shit, drops, airs.....and they rip groomers like a f'ing tank!

187cm 4FRNT Hojis (130/112/121).....mounted per Hoji at 87cm from tail (-5.5cm?) with Sollyfit STH 16s /Dynafit Radicals....for sidecountry and inbounds when Baker snow not sticky....and when I want to dance/bounce down the mountain instead of destroying it on the Helldos. Love the feel of reflect tech in good snow!

Done!

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 02-27-2014 at 08:21 PM.

About 75 days into this season, my quiver has changed a bit as well. Like KC, I have also discovered metal for inbounds skiing, but minus the camber. I recently added a set of 185 cochises and 184 katanas. Need to mount the katanas, probably with some ffg14s, but the cochise rip jackson hole. Charges harder than my pbj, and also easier to ski. Making my pbj obsolete, which I really hate to say, but need the ffg14s for katanas. Probably going to get rid of the pbj. The cochise is such a good daily driver, Im probably going to grab another pair as soon as sales really start getting good. Another possibility is to mount my dukes on the katanas, but IDK how that would work out.

Right now the quiver is:
    185 Cochise
    184 Katana (dukes or ffg14s?)
    186 Night Train
    188 PBJ
    190 Bibby Pro
    196 Bibby Special/Governor
    196 Donner Party (unmounted)

Man I have a lot of skis. But, really, they are spread out over 4 quivers with distinct purposes, dictated mostly by binding choice: alpine, sledski, AT, and tele.

ALPINE/SLACKCOUNTRY QUIVER
    181 ON3P Wrenegade w/ Guardian (binding chosen by old holes in ski, dedicated rock and Crested Butte billygoat ski)
    189 Praxis RX w/ 997 (everyday)
    186 ON3P Billy Goat w/ FKS (pow days)

SLEDSKI QUIVER
    190 Rossignol Squad7 w/ Guardian
    185 Praxis Pow w/ Guardian

AT QUIVER
    184 Praxis Freeride w/ Dynafit (spring and mountaineering)
    187 Praxis GPO w/ Dynafit (winter)

TELE QUIVER
    All tele skis have inserts to accept 22 Designs Axl or Vice
    184 Praxis Freeride
    185 Nordica Blower (belonged to a buddy that is now shredding the white room in the sky, I will never part with these)
    189 Praxis RX
    190 Rossignol Squad7 (same pair as above)

I used to like metal for resort skiing. Then I discovered Praxis and ON3P.

So, I'm going through parallel experiences with both my guitar and ski quiver. Having too large of a quiver is becoming debilitating.

With my guitars, I hate the fact that I don't pick one up for months at a time, while having more strings to change, truss rods to re-tension with the season, etc. It contributes to mental clutter.

With the skis, it's a parallel experience. I have 4 pairs of skis between 114 & 116 (the skinnier side of the quiver is reasonably well rationalized):

• 182 GPOs (mounted with BD Helio 200s)
    • 187 GPOs (Wardens)
    • 186 Billy Goats (Wardens)
    • 114 Down CD 114s (Aaatack AT)

The touring GPOs are keepers. The only thing I can envision replacing them with would be an Enduro/Carbon/Veneer version (current ones are Enduro/Carbon/Nylon).

With respect to the latter 3 (all mounted with MNC bindings for inbounds use), my thinking runs parallel to Doug Coombs' comments about wax in the Q&P ski tune video. He mixes hard & cold wax and says that it'll be right somewhere on the mountain. These skis have quite a bit of overlap.

I'm coming to hate having to select which pair(s) to load in the rooftop on a given day, and I suspect that I'll whittle the bottom 3 down to a single pair after playing in Utah next week. When I pull a ski out for the day, the question I always ask is "which ski choice would I most be OK with if I'm wrong about it?" Today's answer is the Downs (and possibly the 187 GPOs - need more time on them).

My Goats are the 2014 iteration and are the least versatile of the lot, but have the magic of RES. Unlike many here, I don't find them particularly pivot-y in tight places. Maybe its my height/weight (5'9", 165#), or the fact that I'm a wimp.

My 187 GPOs are more of an all-arounder, although I've yet to compare their performance in chopped up snow to the magic of Billy Goat RES. My 182 GPOs are quite a bit more squirrely in chop than the BGs, but the 187 GPOs feel like a different ski. The longer GPOs also feel a bit long for me in tight spots, but they really like to run.

The Downs seem to be the best combination of stability and nimbleness for me - skiing like a slightly more nimble version of the 187 GPOs.

We'll see what the next week brings, but one and possibly two of the three will be on gear swap.

The remainder of the quiver is pretty well rationalized:

• Praxis EXP (Plum Guides) for long Spring days.
    • Down CD 104s (Vipecs). They may end up being replaced by CD 104Ls or Lowdown 102s, but I don't feel any particular hurry about this.
    • Automatic 109s (Vipecs) for low tide (inbounds & touring)

One could argue that I "need" a charging groomer ski, but I avoid groomers like the plague. What was Iggy's comment? Groomers are a necessary means of getting to untracked snow?

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-05-2020 at 08:10 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Im no help Thom. Im in the N+1 crew.
    Itd be interested in seeing the guitar quiver pics though. There must be a thread for that

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Im no help Thom. Im in the N+1 crew.
    Itd be interested in seeing the guitar quiver pics though. There must be a thread for that

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    I have a simple brain which I tend to overload by seeking to complicate matters ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I’m jealous of the 182/helio combo, I’ve got 187 carbon/veneer with mtns, and despite many other great skis they will be sorely missed. This season has moved them gently into the sacrificial/loaner slot. Due to low tide they still get plenty of days though. Can’t help with thoughts on thinning, except I’m happy with only fat and skinny for touring and flying sofa. It makes it easy to pick, mostly.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

4 skis is not too many. But you have too much overlap

Every ski has its own personality. It’s kind of fun to be forced to change your game.
    But there’s always a daily driver that fits like an old shoe.

DD ice coast is Brahma
    DD real mountains is Cochise.

But lotus 120 200cm is my fresh snow pow friend.

I want a 202cm lotus 138 but don’t have heli money
    I can afford the ski, but not the heli. And don’t hike enough anymore.
    . . .

I have 9 guitars and to many skis to count. They each have their own flavor. Even though I have 8 skis that are 112+ they each serve a different purpose based on conditions. My non pow skis each full a certain need based on conditions and how my legs are feeling. Each guitar has a different sounds and feel, plus the amps with pedals. I like to switch it up. Every time you change it up you get a new perspective. Maintaining the fleet is a pain in the ass though.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I have 9 guitars and to many skis to count. They each have their own flavor. Even though I have 8 skis that are 112+ they each serve a different purpose based on conditions. My non pow skis each full a certain need based on conditions and how my legs are feeling. Each guitar has a different sounds and feel, plus the amps with pedals. I like to switch it up. Every time you change it up you get a new perspective. Maintaining the fleet is a pain in the ass though.

Yup, I get the whole changing perspective thing which is definitely a plus, but for me, having too much stuff creates clutter in my head that I have difficulty describing. The best I can relate it to is a messy work bench (which I'm too frequently guilty of). I tend to function less efficiently with a mess.

I sold two guitars this Fall to fund an airbag pack purchase, and it was a liberating feeling.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Yup, I get the whole changing perspective thing which is definitely a plus, but for me, having too much stuff creates clutter in my head that I have difficulty describing. The best I can relate it to is a messy work bench (which I'm too frequently guilty of). I tend to function less efficiently with a mess.

I sold two guitars this Fall to fund an airbag pack purchase, and it was a liberating feeling.

... Thom
    I have but two guitars, but skis numbers close to my annual skiing days, still it does not wreck my mind, nor my being.

If you're troubled by your quiver, sell everything beside; vipecs on the CD104's and ski the crap out of them for every ski day, every purpose, and make sure to have fun doing it! Don't look back...

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    I have but two guitars, but skis numbers close to my annual skiing days, still it does not wreck my mind, nor my being.

If you're troubled by your quiver, sell everything beside; vipecs on the CD104's and ski the crap out of them for every ski day, every purpose, and make sure to have fun doing it! Don't look back...
    It's not that crazy. If someone held a gun to my head right now, I'd keep the 182 GPOs for touring and the CD 114s for area skiing and wouldn't look back. I do think 3 pairs of 114-116 skis mounted for inbounds are a bit much (for me), and that was my main point.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

2013/14 Bloated Ski Quiver (are 6 pairs too many?)

I’m with alta, as long as they each have a different personality and strong point to where you would want them over another I say keep em. I recently ended up with a ski that totally overlaps another so I definitely feel ya. I feel like I can kinda justify keeping both as the one I would get rid of is a better travel ski but it’s kinda silly cause I’m pretty lucky if I actually “travel” once a year so smart sense says sell em, but I also wouldn’t make much if I sold em and I still have a great travel setup so....
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Yeah, the ROI on a ski definitely is a factor. My Automatic 109s are worth much more to me as a low tide ski than they'd return on gear swap.

The travel ski angle is something I haven't considered, only because my trips over the past two decades have been by car. Maybe I'll hit the jackpot and have to think more about this (as in trip to Yurp)

... Thom
    Galibier Design