Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I really enjoy threads like this. Had the one ski quiver until I started part timing in the industry. Though there is a lot of overlap and I continue to sell older pairs, there are a couple I can't bring myself to sell do to nostalgia.

169 Volkl Ledge - rock and early season
    183 1st gen Atomic Chetlers - nostalgia occasional ride on light dry dump days
    185 Armada ARG - go to big dump day boards
    188 Armada Bubba - nostalgia gift from a family member who passed away, now wall art
    186 ON3P BillyGoat - my primary driver especially when it high precip in the PNW. New shape is awesome
    183 ON3P C&D - my 2013/2014 add!!!
    169 Rossi Strato 80 - frontside ripper

Touring
    174 Armada TST - late spring and summer
    176 ON3P Billy Goat Tour - go to touring setup

Here it is:

182 4FRNT VCT - backyard kicker ski
    182 4FRNT Turbo - does it all
    186 Atomic Automatic - Pow ski (for sale!)
    188 Rossi RC112 - charging at the bird
    185 Black Diamond Amperage - Mini Golf? Unmounted. Either jib pow or tele... not sure
    181 K2 Anti-Piste - Tele daily driver
    174 K2 Work Stinx - Learned to tele on these - now my meadowskipping touring ski
    185 G3 Zenoxide - Touring ski mounted w/ Dynafit Speeds
    180 Blizzard Titgan Argos - with Dukes, rock ski or loaner touring.
    186 Nordica Doberman - Total Nastar Domination

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    I'll play...

195 Superbros/155s: daily driver, mach chicken groomer/blow stuff up ski
    194 stockli ss pro/155s: same as above, but more for low snow and bumps
    192 dynastar leg 105/155s: resort crud/sub-6" charger
    192 movement super turbo/guardians: tour/sidecountry
    192 hart wizard/155s: new, they'll be resort pow
    192 elan 777/916s: bump/out with the wife ski
    198 salomon x-wing lab/sth16: slush/rock/early season pow
    SL/GS/DH race skis...fer racin'.
    192 dynastar course 66/916s: bulletproof/training/turning too much
    188 blizzard titan nine: work/rock/shit snow

I can justify 12 skis for three simple reasons. A: I work slopeside and it takes all of thirty seconds to switch skis. B: I ski a lot. C: I traded/scavenged/scammed/whored myself out for most of them, so overhead is very low. Deals are out there, just gotta be patient.

The wifey was griping about them, so we went through the fleet and tallied it up and its far less than the cost of her bike, so that's that.

Quiver guilt should only be a factor if, as has been said, it detracts from other things, i.e. your enjoyment of the sport, your enjoyment of other activities because you blow all your money on ski shit, or your relationship with your wife/lady friend/hetero life-partner(and then only if its serious). If you can have fun in all conditions on one ski, awesome. If you want a different ski for every day you go out and you have the means, why the hell not.

(/blog.)

Jackson Hole quiver:
    186 on3p vicik; touring
    188 moment pb&j; daily driver
    192 moment belafonte; variable
    196 moment bibby special; steep/deep
    185 armada jj; jib sessions/showing off
    183 line blend; park
    189 k2 obsethed; does it all
    Last edited by vailszendrei; 10-10-2013 at 02:27 AM.

185 Karmas w/PX14 (WROD/play/early season)
    183 '06 Goats w/PX12 (Mary Jane/tree skiing)
    193 Folsom Givers w/PX12 (everything but bumps)
    193 Folsom Givers w/Dynafit (primary b/c ski)
    195 Folsom Gambits w/Dukes (deep days, slackcountry pow)
    205 Volkl P11's w/Tyrolia 15 DIN'ers (gaper day/deathwish)

NEED SNOW SOON!

186 renegade w STH : powski
    193 cochise w STH : all mountain ( courtesy of senor pluff)
    192 big bros: formerly all mountain
    190 praxis big mounatin 120 w dukes: touring
    191 faction 3.zero w 914's : should get dynafits for longer tours
    190 goats(white) w 914's : rock ski
    180 goats ( 2 black ones) w 914's : kiddo ski

lust for:
    196 renegades... needed for wide ass open when 186 hasnt enough tip
    191 billygoats or 192 GPO.....you know why, i have a problem
    186 jeffrey.... look like fun jibby complement to cochise for AM

problem is i want to build a trail bike in spring too.
    wife is gunna be pissed
    one step forward, no step backward

KC,

Your quiver is large but somewhat logical and you have good taste. My question is how many pairs of skins do you have?

Hey SlippBC,

Thanks. Skins. Good question.

Since this post started I have purchased new old stock 2012 182cm Moment Comis with the swalowtail from Moment, and just mounted with Sollyfits (as I had an extra pair and the Comis will be so fun in short Baker sidecountry hikes). I also bought another pair of STH 16s with 130mm brakes from Evo for $200. Just to avoid the hassle of switching one pair of STHs between 3 skis on Sollyfits.

So quiver is at 7 pairs, with 3 of my quiver set up with Sollyfits. I am happy and guilt-free with 7 but am lusting for some new 186 Moment Ghost Trains! And was thinking of selling the 183 Blends and getting some 185 Scimitars? Then I would have a rocker and camber ski in each waist category.

Re skins.......I currently have one pair of skins which were cut long (left some fold over) for 184 Bibbys....143-118-134 ish but as these have a bit of extra length I am thinking I could cut my current skin for the Hoji....and use on the Ren too?
    187cm Hojis 130/112/121
    186cm Rens 135/122/129

But likely will need another pair of skins for the Comis as with the swallowtail the skins will have to be much shorter (and wider)? ....Moment recommends the G3 Alpinist skins with the hooks instead of the standard tip loop.
    182cm Comis 160/135/145135 waist

Can't resist.....here is the picture I show to the border guards when I cross the border:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quiver 1.jpg 
Views:	792 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	142440

K
    Last edited by kc_7777; 10-10-2013 at 08:02 PM.

You people are sick. Seek help.

I own a lot of new skis. Just not convinced I need to own a lot of skis.

When I was guiding and patroling I owned two pair. If I was having a good year. Those would be rock skis and non rock ski. By the end of the season my non rocks were next year's rock ski. New skis (used) if I could afford it at the fall ski swap.

So in pow they sucked, In bumps they sucked and for everythng else they turned left and they turned right. For BC they were all long heavy bastards on the feet. Worse on the back. But back then I was young, strong and could actually ski so it never mattered. You could either turn left and turn right or you didn't really know how to ski.

Now I have super light BC skis, short fat BC skis, long fat Pow skis and fat pow skis. And a bigger pile of what are essentuially duplicates. One pair I find reasonably fun on groomers. None will ski a packed out area like a pair of my old well worn rock skis.

One pair of my dedicated BC skis is amazng on lift served ice. It is 167cm long. One pair of 196s @ 115 under foot remind me of my old 207cm rock skis.

may be I'll just learn how to ski those 167s

very nice!!!! Such a gear whore.

195 Superbros - hard snow
    192 GPO - soft snow
    189 VCT - no snow
    196 protests - new snow
    191 lhasas - earned snow

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I used to think having a massive quiver was necessary for the tgr dick waiving contests. I then realized that even at 120 plus days i skied the same few all the time.

simple:
    185 karmas (early season rock skis, front side, dick around, late season slush bumps etc)
    186 blizzard peacemaker- or any other 100-110mm underfoot with A/T bindings. for everyday skiing once things have filled in
    192 bent chetlers. powder and chowder

only pair i would add in future IFF, I made a real attempt to increase touring time would be dynafiddle setup with a lite mid fat....

i only ever do day touring, i might finally be able to afford to get a mountain bike and keep my money for hookers and blow by being a realist about my ski usage. I suppose though if i had a more income it wouldn't matter.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I've skinned bd on moments bele's you just need the wide tip loops.

Couldn't help notice the start of a pole quiver on the left there... Have you checked out his black adjustable one yet?

Climbing Skins Direct tip/tail clips fit great on Moments even though they aren't wide enough to straddle the square tip - the 3D shape of the clips locks onto the sidewall profile like it was designed for them.

Quote Originally Posted by SlippBC View Post
    Couldn't help notice the start of a pole quiver on the left there... Have you checked out his black adjustable one yet?
    Hey Slipp.....good eye.....I love the Line Eric Pollard "paint brush" ski poles.

Looks like I am selling 1 pair of them with my 183cm Blends. I think I have sold the Blends for $250. So I will pick up a pair of his adjustable poles soon.

.....crazy but was shopping at The House. Tried to buy a grenade sticker ($3.95) for my sons snowboard. The sticker was out of stock, so they gave me a code for 5% off my entire order.

Which I immediately applied to some 2012 185cm Rossi Scimitars they had on for $324....so $307 for new Scimitars and I will slap the FKS from the Blends on to them.

Now the quiver makes perfect sense as I have both a camber and a reverse camber ski in each waist category:

Scimitar (98mm) / Belafonte (106mm)

Deathwish (112mm) / Hoji (112mm)

YLE (119mm) / Ren (122mm)

...and the Comi (135mm) is in a class all by itself.

K

I don't usually spend money on poles... But when I do I chose pollards series cause they're the bomb

pollards paintbrush are ergonomic, lightweight and super durable, will be stocking up on two more pairs of them for sure.

I also am selling my blends, so down to 6 skis now, which is still too much. 2 of them will see no more than 5 days, atleast i paid jack squat for them. With viciks in the quiv now, idk what im going to do with belafontes.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    I used to think having a massive quiver was necessary for the tgr dick waiving contests. I then realized that even at 120 plus days i skied the same few all the time.
    only difference from dick wavin and measuring is countin bro and if you gots to quantify.......
    not sure how many days i ski or how many in the quiver now
    but i go with a few when asked in reguards to quantifyin
    [/URL]
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

good to see a little old fashioned religion mixed in with the new age gospel according to bro.
    no bong in sight though
    b

Can't even touch the amount of gear hoarders here
    but I have 6+ from fat to thin

Line EP Pros - Solly 914
    Line EP Pros - Solly Guardian
    Voile Drifters - Freeride +
    Igneous FFF - Solly 916
    OG Rossi Axiom - Solly 914
    Rossi T 4 - 2 pairs one tele one freeride +
    Pocket Rockets - Solly 914
    Rossi Cut 11 - Rossi Free 140

add to that a smattering of xc, ballet, and skate skis along with the boots poles etc.

Peace out

CAT

As a relative newcomer to TGR and having returned to skiing only 3-4 years ago I have benefited exponentially in knowledge, stoke, and gear. For that I say thank you.

Currently:

183 Atomic Tele Daddy (rock/loaner ski, inserts for barons)
    183 stiff PM gear Bro (orange top sheet vintage) with radicals (early/mid/late touring)
    186 0N3P Vicik with barons (daily driver)
    187 carbon layup GPO with stained glass topsheet will be inserted for STH/radical (pow touring/deep resort days)

As much as I love em, planning to swap out the bros for an early rise, 100 + waisted touring ski. Billygoats and MVP's sound like a good idea in the near future...

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    good to see a little old fashioned religion mixed in with the new age gospel according to bro.
    no bong in sight though
    b
    careful observations and a little zoomin
    should revel
    there is no violation of acceptable mancave shop safety standards

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post

Likely the most ridiculous mancave I've ever seen in person. Don't know how you do it man.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    careful observations and a little zoomin
    should revel
    there is no violation of acceptable mancave shop safety standards

mmmm, i bet your house has lots of flapjacks (and other things that one cooks with spatulas).

and, i sold two pairs of skis today, so i'm back down to six pairs.
    damn i feel skinny!
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...