I need an uphill/xc bike. What's the value leader?

I've rediscovered my love of going uphill on singletrack, and want to get a speedy bike. I'm in the process of buying a Knolly Endorphin to replace my antiquated Yeti 575, so the "trailbike" thing will be well covered. A 30# 5.5" bike isn't exactly uphill oriented, though.

What's the MTB equivalent of the Caad10 road bike with Ultegra? What I mean is: what's reasonably light & value priced. I don't need bling; I want function. I'm assuming 29" wheels. (I have a steel Spot SS, so I know about the wagon wheels.) I'm light and easy on wheels, but I do like to jump off of smaller things.

Do I want to run a single front ring? How are they for medium length steep climbs (like around Tahoe)? Are the cool kids racing on full susp or hardtails these days?

Basically, school me on XC bikes.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Maybe a cannondale F29? I put the aluminum "2" on a scale and it was 24lbs without pedals. It's a really nice build if you can deal with the lefty fork. The Kona big kahuna (their nicest aluminum hardtail 29er) next to it was 2lbs heavier at the same price. Nearly bought that cannondale but ended up getting a deal on a used carbon king kahuna. 23lbs and it goes uphill REALLY fast.

I still like having a 2x setup. Even with XX1 I feel like I would be lacking on both ends of the cassette. Suppose I could save quite a bit of weight going that way though.

Hardtail or full squish? I love my aluminum tallboy. And I'm a xc nerd.

Damn, a 5 inch travel all mountain bike w a reasonable build can easily do both. Not hard to get 24 or less pounds. It will rail up and down.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Damn, a 5 inch travel all mountain bike w a reasonable build can easily do both. Not hard to get 24 or less pounds. It will rail up and down.
    What kind of build do you have to do to get a 24lb AL, 5" travel bike? People talk about it like it's easy, but I don't see it happening without full XTR, expensive wheels and carbon cockpit. 24 pounds is really light.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Really? A 5" travel 29er at 24lbs.

And it's "not hard" to get there?

Mmkay

I rode a Rocky Mtn Instinct with 1x11 today, even on a moderate XC trail I was looking for another lower gear. I'd vote for the 2x10 after having ridden a number of the sections of the Tahoe Rim trail a couple of years ago.

Hardtail 29er as light as you can afford, 2x10 or 3x10 IMO. Lots of the pros use 1x11 but its crazy expensive and they have legs of steel and change rings for every course. Every company makes these at various price points. I ride a hardtail and it's fun to make it up a big climb and scare yourself on the way down lol. I just came close to cleaning the yummy nummy climb (whistler people will know it) and the way down is pretty fun on a proper trail bike but hardtail makes it a good challenge lol
    Last edited by kevin267; 09-01-2013 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Hardtail 29er as light as you can afford, 2x10 or 3x10 IMO.
    Yep.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I have a canondale trail that I really like. Super light frame, cheap components. If you're building it frame up you could make it a really light bike.

Mine is 1x9, but it's really flat here.

You could buy my DEAN Ti soft tail and put 2x10 on it.
    Last edited by plugboots; 09-02-2013 at 01:52 PM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

My Yelli climbs like a monkey on crack. 28ish lbs with no "light" parts.
    However many are in a shit ton.

BTW, my DEAN built up was about 22 pounds.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Ok, so the F29 is the most intriguing prospect thus far. I do have a soft spot for the old crack-n-fail.

plugboots, where's your FS ad? Tell me more about your DEAN.

I love my Santa Cruz Blur TRC. 25 pounds stock. Also descends like a demon.

I'll just throw in my vote for the single quiver bike here. 5.5" dual squish with a light build and some smart valving.

I built up my stumpy FSR in '07 for way too much money, but could have gotten away cheaper without too much weight penalty. 26.5lbs, and a respectable climber. I might prefer a slightly more relaxed geometry on downhills, but I'd say the bike is at least good at everything, bordering on great at just a few.

Jack-of-all-trades; master of none, maybe, but unlike my quiver of skis, I never find myself on a trail, wishing I had my other bike. I also don't do lift served/park, so a light AM covers all my needs pretty well.

FWIW, I've built up one or two hard-tails since going to full suspension, but haven't felt like they really climbed that much better (if at all), or at least not better enough to make up for what you sacrifice on the downs. OTOH, I've ridden with a couple of guys who were on 29" single speed HT's, who pretty much crush me on everything, but that's mostly because I'm old and fat. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Xtr, stans wheels. Not inexpensive but less than 2 bikes
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Ok, so the F29 is the most intriguing prospect thus far. I do have a soft spot for the old crack-n-fail.

plugboots, where's your FS ad? Tell me more about your DEAN.

Don't know if it's the right size...

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s....php?p=4036431

Man, if only it were a medium, I would be all over this!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TGR Forums