Page 98 of 113 FirstFirst ... 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 2821
    KW slackcountry has been really really good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1397780267.880890.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	154345

Okay. So what do you call those lines? I call the the horseshoe chutes, but have always wondered their real name. How did they ski?

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I'll be at Kirkwood tomorrow hiking the bc around the backside and maybe a thunder bowl/spur lap just to say I got one in this season...
    Sounds like fun. From 88 thunder looked like it still went on Monday. But barely. Spur looks plenty full.

No idea what they're called but you can follow the sun and hit perfect corn all day. Kudos to KW for keeping the backside open. From last year:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1397788892.168310.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	154363

Some recent beta shots

Does anyone have any Tallac cathedral beta?.?.

Is the road open to the summer TH? Good coverage in the bowl?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    Does anyone have any Tallac cathedral beta?.?.

Is the road open to the summer TH? Good coverage in the bowl?
    Thanks
    Coverage still looked good a few days ago, not sure about the road yet, did it before the last storm, a lot of work for those turns, bike, hike and skin. Gate to Fallen leaf is open so you could also try going up the trail from behind Stanford camp. Maybe bring a bike and stash it at the trailhead if the summer trail is still gated that's what we did.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Coverage still looked good a few days ago, not sure about the road yet, did it before the last storm, a lot of work for those turns, bike, hike and skin. Gate to Fallen leaf is open so you could also try going up the trail from behind Stanford camp. Maybe bring a bike and stash it at the trailhead if the summer trail is still gated that's what we did.
    Thanks TahoeBC,

I kinda dig these "late" season dirt hikes to skiable bowls. Maybe because I'm a knuckledragger and don't mind hiking in my boots for a couple of miles. I don't want to add a bike ride really. I did do a little recon for myself and called the Forest Service. Apparently they'll open the road mid-May.

Bummershit.

You might try calling Stanford camp (530) 542-5600 and see if they answer, tell em you would like to hike up the trail from there back parking lot, they would probably be ok with it, they just have some intimidating no parking signs. There just getting the place ready right now, so it's no like your taking away from guest parking.

This map shows the trail from back there, it connects into summer trail before Cathedral lake.
    http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=38.89...07531&z=15&b=f

Anyone know anywhere on the North or West Shore that's clearing out snowboard boots?
    not counting days 2016-17

Did a KW sidecountry mission today and boy oh boy it felt and looked like late May skiing. So slow, so soon, add a mix of rotten snow, and then a early closure of the mountain due to lightning, hail and pouring rain.

Truckee Splitter.
    Did you go up PCT trail? Good snow from TD water tank to drifter. Only a few yards of dirt at the bottom.
    Last edited by Huck Pitueee; 04-18-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Did a KW sidecountry mission today and boy oh boy it felt and looked like late May skiing. So slow, so soon, add a mix of rotten snow, and then a early closure of the mountain due to lightning, hail and pouring rain.
    Jeebus! What a drag. Thanks for the heads up. Was it much of a light show? I guess you must be what they call hard core!!!

Was kinda looking forward to going to Heavenly tomorrow. Gondola access only, but Sky is running & Milky Way is open. Wonder what state it will be in...

Also celebrating 4/20 at Northstar of all places! Yeah, bad planning.
    Comstock Liftline is kinda fun, once it's full in the sun. Oh well, we will take what we can get, and be grateful for it!
    "Can I have some more please sir?"

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    You might try calling Stanford camp (530) 542-5600 and see if they answer, tell em you would like to hike up the trail from there back parking lot, they would probably be ok with it, they just have some intimidating no parking signs. There just getting the place ready right now, so it's no like your taking away from guest parking.

This map shows the trail from back there, it connects into summer trail before Cathedral lake.
    http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=38.89...07531&z=15&b=f
    So rad. Thanks. I should have thought of that. Especially since poaching a dock there is much better apres-ski then sitting at the Tallac TH.

The Stanford folks are hosting a conference so that's a no-go. But Lily Lake TH parking seems like a good alternative...

Yep, those clouds turned into torrential rain/hail...

My favorite hidden chute near California Chutes:

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Also celebrating 4/20 at Northstar of all places! Yeah, bad planning.
    I heard Vail Corp loves the ganj.

Forecast for next week looks... interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

weird that the forecast for the 27th, nine days out, is 100% chance rain unless it's a typo
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    I heard Vail Corp loves the ganj.

Forecast for next week looks... interesting.
    Shhhhh......anti jinx. Washing the car and putting on summer tires.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I've been watching that 9 days out thing and the models keep projecting. Not that models are all that valuable of a tool. But it makes me want to figure out this touring boot thing quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I've been watching that 9 days out thing and the models keep projecting. Not that models are all that valuable of a tool. But it makes me want to figure out this touring boot thing quick.
    i don't know your specific problem, but mammoth mountaineering has a lot of their demo boots for sale....

Great way to buy boots. Krystal Kartwright and I both bought our current boots at the end of season from their demo fleet. Both had less than 5 days on them. Super cheap. And they heat molded liners for free. Worth a Mammoth trip just for shopping.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    i don't know your specific problem, but mammoth mountaineering has a lot of their demo boots for sale....
    My problem is I live in Santa Cruz and stay at home dad a 3 yr old. It might take me three years to get to mammoth mountaineering. But Sonora is only a few favors/credits away.
    Last edited by Ottime; 04-20-2014 at 11:58 AM.

My problem is I live in Santa Cruz and stay at home dad a 3 yr old. It might take me three years to get to mammoth mountaineering. But sonata is only a few favors/credits away.
    So you're not up for a 7-8 hour drive each way with a three year old in the back? What could go wrong? ;-)

closing day at sugarbowl was lonely
    My problem is I live in Santa Cruz and stay at home dad a 3 yr old. It might take me three years to get to mammoth mountaineering. But Sonora is only a few favors/credits away.
    i'm pretty sure they'll ship em fer ya. it's helpful if you know what fits.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    closing day at sugarbowl was lonely

i'm pretty sure they'll ship em fer ya. it's helpful if you know what fits.
    May be down for skinning the hill next weekend if things pan out. Not sure where I'm going yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.