Page 56 of 113 FirstFirst ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2821
    Quote Originally Posted by kix515 View Post
    And lets not forget Foster who died on the job to open terrain. Its a dangerous job and we should all be thankful for whatever they open during weather periods such as this.
    There was a fatal PCR in one of the gullies on Sherwood South Face in the late 70's as I recall. The big slide in 82 that killed people at the base, including the mountain manager and a patroller (Bernie's Bowl and Jake's Peak named after them). Years ago I was riding up Sherwood and saw a probe line on South Face--slide with no one buried but they were making sure, and then on the way down Our Father I watched the chute under the cliff skiers right of OF slide and knock over 4 people, injuring one. Not to mention the Headwall Slide at SV that killed a patroller and the PCR on Red Dog that killed someone. Or the slide above the fingers that knocked a guy out of the KT chair. One year a patroller was buried ski cutting KT and his partner dug him out--no injury if I recall. Lots of reasons to be careful. But an ex patroller I talked to thought that they might also be holding off on the upper mountains to preserve the snow--if they blast now it will all go and we'll be back where we started. If they wait maybe the snow stabilizes and doesn't slide when they blast. Or maybe KSL just doesn't like us for making them cut back their development. Lots of room for conspiracy theories here.

Check out the cubic feet per second discharge in the America River

6000 CFS, I'd wait a little bit before rafting that tidal wave. Lots of precip though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TGR Forums

Rose just updated morning report. Closed for the day....blizzard and loss of power.

On the plus side, 12-18 overnight, and 22-32 storm total.

The season is back.....but today is sorta screwed.
    Donjoy to the World!

Driving to Stockton avid then making the call. No rain and I can see pockets of blue over Livermore.

30+ inches on the snowtel at Echo. Sierra saying 16-18 overnight. Hope winds hold and lifts spin. Thats BS. Actually hope upper mtn stays closed till I can get there tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat View Post
    Rose just updated morning report. Closed for the day....blizzard and loss of power.

On the plus side, 12-18 overnight, and 22-32 storm total.

The season is back.....but today is sorta screwed.
    Think today might be a day to drive out to Squawpine and use a Mountain Collective pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Think today might be a day to drive out to Squawpine and use a Mountain Collective pass.
    Just checked Squaw and Alpine reports. Squaw - nothing open on upper mountain? Alpine - basically Roundhouse?

Maybe a touring day. SAC says avy danger is considerable to high though...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Rider View Post
    6000 CFS, I'd wait a little bit before rafting that tidal wave. Lots of precip though.
    7,610 CFS now

Spur is closed 666

looking at the snowtels Echo summit has been getting hammered, more snow than Carson pass, if you got a Sierra pass it might be good if they can open up the mountain

Maybe a touring day. SAC says avy danger is considerable to high though...
    Yup, trying to decide the same. I have gone to Pole Creek in the past situations, just get in the trees and get out in it. Mostly a tour up the canyon, but can get a bit of vert at the end.
    Donjoy to the World!

Yep. I am aware of the Spur. At least I'll be closer when my son and I decide to turn around

no, no it is not.

Just checked Squaw and Alpine reports. Squaw - nothing open on upper mountain? Alpine - basically Roundhouse?
    Probably. if they had snow safety issues yesterday morning, it would seem that today would be worse.

Kirkwood is closed today for snow safety....I'm headed to the record store today

38" on the upper mountain at Squaw in the last 24. Not schedule to open today. My wannabe bay area ass looks forward to lapping that on Monday or Tuesday if there's any left after control work.

Maybe someday I can move to Nevada and become a real Truckee / TC local?

^^^You and me both. Just 6 more years until I can make that happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Or perhaps I can move to New Jersey and lay claim to my local turf in Manhattan and complain about all of the tourists.

Pouring rain at my house at 6.200. Can hear a lot of bombs going off up at Alpine.

Yesterday in the afternoon at AM cleared out a ton and Yellow/RH were ski on. I headed up around noon. Was wet base building stuff all day.

Rain at Alpine parking lot.

Anyone in the valley wanna go for a wet hike? Cancelled child care, going to dig out the car and likely hanging with the boy at Red Cliffs until the road opens. Should be good here once they open back up. Plenty of snow fell last night, even at base level. Dumping right now for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    38" on the upper mountain at Squaw in the last 24. Not schedule to open today. My wannabe bay area ass looks forward to lapping that on Monday or Tuesday if there's any left after control work.
    I will be there tomorrow. Made the call on Friday, based on the forecast and a little bit of experience skiing storms in the Sierra, to work remotely and ski tomorrow with a strong suspicion of wind/AC hold today. I'm going to cruise up from the Foothills, where I grew up, past the small ski area where I worked for nine seasons. Maybe I'll stop in Truckee to visit all my friends who went to Truckee High. I'd ski with one of my siblings, both of whom worked at either Squaw or Alpine over the years, but one has since moved away and the other is recovering from a broken arm sustained in a dirtbike accident. Man, if only I was a core local, then I'd have tons of friends to ride with. TahoeJ if you're at Squaw tomorrow, I'd love to ski with you because I'm feeling lonely and butthurt.

On a serious note, this storm is fucking awesome. TahoeBC's CFS chart made me think to take a break from work later and check out the North Fork flows. It's been a while since I've been down there in a big hydro event. Curious to see a before and after photo of the same spot in Folsom after this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

The last three seasons here have been the suck, but typically Tahoe is epic and rad. There is good rowdy terrain all around that normally has a lot of snow that is regularly stable. This season is starting to get good. I wish KW we're open and that I wasn't sitting at home writing this or reading this thread. I wish I could go riding tomorrow, but I have to work. Go get some turns for me. Happiness comes from appreciating what you have. I know I will be enjoying my next shred session.

From NWS Reno:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product....n=1&glossary=1

…COOLING CLOUD TOPS AHEAD OF THE WAVE ARE INDICATIVE OF ANOTHER PUSH OF LIFT AND INSTABILITY WHICH WILL REACH THE CALIFORNIA COAST LATER THIS MORNING. THIS SHOULD LEAD TO ANOTHER ROUND OF HEAVY RAIN/SNOW CROSSING THE CREST AND PUSHING INTO WESTERN NEVADA AFTER 11AM AS SHOWN BY THE LATEST RAPID REFRESH MODEL. THE WAVE WILL HELP LOWER SNOW LEVELS BACK DOWN TO 6000 FEET AS WELL IN THE TAHOE BASIN. BRONG

keeping fingers crossed for snow instead of rain.
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    There was a fatal PCR in one of the gullies on Sherwood South Face in the late 70's as I recall. The big slide in 82 that killed people at the base, including the mountain manager and a patroller (Bernie's Bowl and Jake's Peak named after them). Years ago I was riding up Sherwood and saw a probe line on South Face--slide with no one buried but they were making sure, and then on the way down Our Father I watched the chute under the cliff skiers right of OF slide and knock over 4 people, injuring one. Not to mention the Headwall Slide at SV that killed a patroller and the PCR on Red Dog that killed someone. Or the slide above the fingers that knocked a guy out of the KT chair. One year a patroller was buried ski cutting KT and his partner dug him out--no injury if I recall. Lots of reasons to be careful. But an ex patroller I talked to thought that they might also be holding off on the upper mountains to preserve the snow--if they blast now it will all go and we'll be back where we started. If they wait maybe the snow stabilizes and doesn't slide when they blast. Or maybe KSL just doesn't like us for making them cut back their development. Lots of room for conspiracy theories here.
    Maybe summit spinning or not is just another part of our society being increasingly risk adverse. I was only makin some observations that it doesnt spin as much in storms as it used to do, but if we're going down the conspiracy road I definitely blame it all on Chemtrails.

From Squalpine marketing an hour ago:
    Hey skiers and riders- I apologize to report that Squaw Valley will be closed today (2/9/14). A positive and safe guest experience is always a top priority for us. We encourage guests who are at the resort to head over to Alpine Meadows. Alpine received 30" in the last 24 hours and 8 lifts are on the schedule (Summit with a delayed opening).

Squaw Valley's upper mountain has seen significant snow- 4.5 FEET and it’s still snowing up top! Keep your eyes on the daily snow report over the next week as we plan to open new terrain as conditions permit. www.squaw.com/snow-report
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.