Page 15 of 113 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    that's the spirit!

you know I never mounted those Darksides? I kept waiting for more snow
    They would make OK waterskis...
    I never used the beacon in earnest either, but I guess that was the intended use.

ULLR, I give you my $1000 invested in getting my AWD running right. I left the summer tires on as a jinx-ward...
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Drove down to Heavenly for the 1 single run they had open only to get shutdown by the wind.

Good news: it can only get better.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Drove down to Heavenly for the 1 single run they had open only to get shutdown by the wind.
    Only another couple hours to Mammoth. Quitter.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Only another couple hours to Mammoth. Quitter.
    Truth.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Arrow McConkey in Mill Valley, with Scott Gaffney, Tomorrow

Hey...
    So for those of us who are still Only Thinking about skiing...
    Tomorrow (Saturday) in Mill Valley, the Throckmorton Theatre is showing the McConkey Movie, and co-Director Scott Gaffney is the Guest Speaker. $15.
    Thanks to TiniDakini for spotting this. Her & Cinders, and me & Miqy should be there. Any other Maggots expecting to show up?

***please excuse MSP Spam***
    http://www.throckmortontheatre.org/m...p?page=block-7

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Have fun Turx! We miss you.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

and here ya go - http://winter.kirkwood.com/site/moun...-access-policy

Non-lift Uphill Access to Kirkwood Mountain Resort
    The following summary of restrictions and recommendations for Uphill Access to Kirkwood Mountain Resort is provided for your information and education; and in an effort to enhance the use of public lands by you and others. Other restrictions may exist from time to time. Thank you for your cooperation.

Use of Ski Area Facilities
    Due to the unpredictability of Avalanche Control work requirements, uphill access and subsequent use of the ski runs of Kirkwood Mountain Resort is not allowed.
    If Kirkwood personnel and equipment are used to assist in a rescue after hours, the costs of labor, equipment, and possible loss of business will be sought from the individual(s) for the debt.

Uphill Access
    The ski area begins operations during the fall to prepare the slopes and trails for opening. Activities may include trail work, equipment across runs, snowmaking in progress, snowmobile use and snowcat operations. The work taking place makes it unsafe for public and even impassable at times for skiers or hikers. Uphill access will not be allowed on any trails during mountain preparation or during low snow conditions when the resort or portions of it are not open to the public.

“No Trespassing” signs will be posted at entry points.

Skinning or Hiking Uphill
    Skiing or hiking uphill is not allowed at Kirkwood Mountain Resort at any time while Winter Operations are occurring, this includes preparation for the season and operations after the season has concluded
    The above stated rules are for your safety and the safety of the employees at the ski resort. Please contact the Ski Patrol with any questions. (209-258-7233)

Snowmobiles
    In accordance with a USFS Supervisor’s closure, private snowmobiles are prohibited on any Kirkwood Mountain Resort trails during or after hours of operation.

No Sledding
    Use of sliding devices, including, but not limited to, sleds, tower pads, plastic sheets or plastic disks and the like are strictly forbidden
    One of several reasons I no longer ski there (when they're open)

and I have to add - if they want to prohibit all the fun they want i can't really stop them, but 'trespassing'? on public lands? fuck you vail!
    Last edited by powdork; 11-23-2013 at 01:58 AM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

No pass for you this year? So, you won't be there on Monday?

I did hear story of someone trying to jib off a snow making hose the other day. That would maybe help explain some of this. And don't they usually have something posted on the website about restricting hiking? But actually stopping folks from using the lots is certainly new.

Any way. Any snow left tucked in under Eback or anything worth hiking to next week?
    Last edited by Ottime; 11-23-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Here's my anti-jinx. Going golfing @ Lincoln Park GC in SF on Sun around 11-11:30 if any one wants to come smack whitey.

Sent from my DROID4 using TGR Forums
    Snow Flake Killer

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthon View Post
    Here's my anti-jinx. Going golfing @ Lincoln Park GC in SF on Sun around 11-11:30 if any one wants to come smack whitey.

Sent from my DROID4 using TGR Forums
    Got some gnar at Harding this morning. First tracks in the the fairway left sand trap at #2. Hope you got some goods too.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    and here ya go - http://winter.kirkwood.com/site/moun...-access-policy

One of several reasons I no longer ski there (when they're open)

and I have to add - if they want to prohibit all the fun they want i can't really stop them, but 'trespassing'? on public lands? fuck you vail!
    Putting on my lawyer hat for a moment....

I think ski area risk management personnel around Tahoe, maybe beyond, have likely been spooked by the preseason incident at Alpine last year.

Bear in mind that you're complaining about a resort that has a lease from the USFS, because you (understandably) think that the public should have access to public land. The law isn't necessarily intuitive.

A lease gives the lessee most of the rights and responsibilities of ownership - and especially, the rights of possession and exclusion of others - during the lease period. The owner can't even enter the land without explicit permission. Just as you, not your landlord, are responsible for injuries to third parties in an apartment that you've rented, the ski area lessee, not the USFS, is responsible during their leasehold.

Business owners take out insurance to cover potential exposure that they can't otherwise control. Often, it's required by their lease terms. (I know it is for my company's lease.) But it's a delicate balance as far as what to insure, because you try to limit your exposure otherwise as well. That's where controlling access (tresspass) is useful. And for ski areas, I suspect that's also where waivers come in. When you buy a day or season pass, you agree to waive a lot of the ski area's potential liability. If you're hiking, you haven't signed one. If you think those waivers don't matter, I suggest that you review some of the cases on skilaw.com.

Put simply, I'm not sure that Kirkwood thinks it has any other choice. I'm not sure whether they're right about that, but I'm guessing that that's what their thought process is.

The sledding ban is odd, but I believe that there's a similar one at Alpine, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were required by the standard USFS lease. I remember that there was just legislation, last year IIRC, to permit ski area USFS lessees to allow any activities other than skiing on their leasehold. There was even a question about whether snowboarding was technically illegal.
    Last edited by The Dad; 11-25-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    not counting days 2016-17

Pretty much every ski resort i've seen bans sledding. i think partly because that is a service that they offer for sale although the bans go back to periods before the sledding hills.

Perhaps Kirkwood has no choice (after allowing it for 40 years). There are plenty of areas that apparently do have a choice and I will use my choice to support those areas.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Pretty much every ski resort i've seen bans sledding. i think partly because that is a service that they offer for sale although the bans go back to periods before the sledding hills.

Perhaps Kirkwood has no choice (after allowing it for 40 years). There are plenty of areas that apparently do have a choice and I will use my choice to support those areas.
    Except Boreal, at least in the past. Friend had her leg broken by a sledder on a ski run.

It's too bad Kwood changed policy for those who liked to be there early and late season. Luckily there there are plenty of other peaks to climb and ski.

Skied Rose Friday night......great evening adventure, but I see why they didn't open.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20131123_010.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	692.5 KB 
ID:	145248  
    Last edited by Huckwheat; 11-24-2013 at 03:11 PM.
    Donjoy to the World!

Any one heading to Homewood tonight? I will Be there with Ms. notyetteletahoe

Last year a guy died sledding after hours at Wildcat in NH on forest land. Wonder if that has caused some bureaucratic changes in rules.

When's it going to start snowing for you guys? Waiting to plan a trip to see my brother in Tahoe.

Went for a walk up at Alpine today. Not a whole lot of snow yet. Its gonna take at least another 24 inches to get them operational.

Quote Originally Posted by powfiend View Post
    Went for a walk up at Alpine today. Not a whole lot of snow yet. Its gonna take at least another 24 inches to get them operational.
    My understanding is that they're planning to have Kangaroo for race teams only (no public, not even parents) starting Friday.

Looking around the bases of both Alpine and Squaw this weekend, it seemed like they were blowing snow full bore whenever it was cold enough. If nothing else, I give them points for trying, and for not holding back at Alpine despite the late projected start date.
    not counting days 2016-17

Alpine has had enough snow on Kangaroo for a while, I think they just want full coverage for use. You could easily ski it now, though I wouldn't recommend it with everyone working up there.

Think I might try and get a few runs in at Squaw Wednesday morning since I'm headed to Reno that day anyways.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    Think I might try and get a few runs in at Squaw Wednesday morning since I'm headed to Reno that day anyways.
    Have you noticed that Squaw has not actually committed to opening anything on Wednesday? Soul of skiing....pshaw!
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

less wacking of your balls
    more of this:

Who is around Tue before or Sunday/Monday after Turkannukah for some beacon practice and a screening of:
    Last edited by lepistoir; 11-25-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Steve Nash looks pissed off.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Squaw's site says they're opening on Wednesday the 27th...

what are they planning to open? Funi to mountain run? I can't believe there is much of anything on the ground up there..