Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Dalbello - KR2 v. Lupo SP

Time to replace my Krypton Pro I.D's. They have over 400 days on them and are pretty shot. Was going to order the KR2 but then saw the Lupo SP. My understanding is that its the exact same boot in an uglier colorway but with a fairly burly walk lever on it and replaceable soles.

As my Kryptons soles were the first thing to wear out, I like the replaceable soles.

I am worried about the weight of the Lupo SP. I imagine adding that lever and mechanism increased the weight? Does anyone know how much it weighs?

Did the walk mechanism impact the flex of the boot at all?

How does the walk mechanism work? I haven't had a boot with a 'walk' mode since I was 8 years old, and never felt I needed one, but if I could switch to 'walk' mode while touring I think I would like it..unless you can't use this 'walk' mode like that.. please school me..

Thanks!

walk mode should be solid. not much weight, or problems

replaceable soles are nice

for a few bucks more, seems like a good idea

I'm curious if the lupo will have a softer tongue available or if I'd be able to get the same fit from the panterra? I don't need a 130 flex but love the krypton fit with intuition liner and have some interest in the walk mode and soles.
    Your jambox is now his...by way of our actions

I assume all parts are swapable.

Too bad no dynafit toes/heels

Thanks for the input. Also wondering if the walk mode will have a positive effect on touring?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Too bad no dynafit toes/heels

My freakish Morten's toe echoes this statement. Wtf Dalbello... Sherpas are awesome, but NOT a suitable alpine replacement. Really wishing this was an option to the low tech crowd. Oh well, maybe next year.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

or scarpa freedom, I will try getting one fitted this fall! K2 seems way too heavy... people have been reporting good stuff about the freedom

Quote Originally Posted by The SMP View Post
    I'm curious if the lupo will have a softer tongue available or if I'd be able to get the same fit from the panterra? I don't need a 130 flex but love the krypton fit with intuition liner and have some interest in the walk mode and soles.
    Version of this ^^^ is my question, too. Easy to swap tongues, bur not lasts. Have K2 Fusion ID's, which have the new K2/Scorpion last, love 'em, but want walk function. Prefer the Panterra flex, unclear if it also has the K2 last. (Lupo does for sure.) Anyone actually know?

Do Work, understand tech toe Lupo will be 2015.

I know the panterra has some kind of 4th buckle to change width in the toe area. I don't think it goes to K2 last and looks kind of gimmicky. Gimmicky, not exactly how I want to describe my boots
    Your jambox is now his...by way of our actions

Or just buy the KR2's and some cheap rubber walkies. Yes sort of a pain to put on, but... I wouldn't like having some half ass walk mode on my alpine boots. That's just me though.

KR2s are awesome.

If you need tech touring boots, you can probably find some used Dalbello Virus/Sherpa for a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    Version of this ^^^ is my question, too. Easy to swap tongues, bur not lasts. Have K2 Fusion ID's, which have the new K2/Scorpion last, love 'em, but want walk function. Prefer the Panterra flex, unclear if it also has the K2 last. (Lupo does for sure.) Anyone actually know?

Do Work, understand tech toe Lupo will be 2015.
    Pantera is a wider last, with a fourth buckle way out front on the toe to adjust width and closure at the end of the boot. Dalbello calls it a 100-102 last, with the buckle adjustment making the difference. You can set the toe buckle and leave it buckled, getting in and out like a regular three-buckle boot, or you can pop it open for walking, lounging, lift rides, etc.

I expect the Lupo tongue to be fully swappable with other KR2 tongues. I will be on the Lupo this year. DW, I have fitting privileges at my local shop, if you want me to work on your Sherpas next time you are north.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    I skied the Panterra and Lupo last year, about 15 days each. Neither of them are touring boots, but they're both great resort boots.

The Lupo's tongues are swappable with KR2s'. For me, (5'9" 155 lbs), the 110 was the ticket. When combined with their upright stance, the 130 tongue worked me. The walk mode is good for boot packing around the resort, apres, and riding a sled, but not suitable for long tours, IMO. (Then again, it doesn't have tech fittings, so how could it be?) It just doesn't have a cuff range that's comparable to my touring boot's (Freedom SL). I don't think the walk mode compromises their down hill performance at all.

Don't overlook the Panterra 120 because of its advertised last. It fits my 98mm foot perfectly, as does the Lupo. The fourth buckle is great. I don't know about changing the last of the whole boot, but clamping it down definitely keeps my narrow foot from slipping, even in the mankiest of mank. The cuff is a touch lower, the liner is a bit softer, and the walk mechanism operates a smidge more smoothly than the Lupo's. These factors make the boot ski softer, and walk better. I think the Panterra 120's flex tongue with the plush liner is pretty darn close to the Lupo's flex with the ID liner and 110 tongue. They're way less expensive, too.

I'll be skiing in Panterra 120s this year. If they didn't make them, I'd still be in FT Seths.

I see Lupos in my future. I'll get another season out of my Kryps though, so I expect if there are any bugs to work out, I'll benefit from that. Kryps have changed the way I ski, and the expectation I have of boots fundamentally. I've never been in anything better. Period.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    I see Lupos in my future. I'll get another season out of my Kryps though, so I expect if there are any bugs to work out, I'll benefit from that. Kryps have changed the way I ski, and the expectation I have of boots fundamentally. I've never been in anything better. Period.
    FWIW, I've read that the KR2 has a more upright stance than the KR1. I ski KR1 every day, and love them. I bought a pair of sherpas for touring. Aside from the roomier fit for touring, they are also more upright.

If you love the forward lean of the KR1, you might not get that aggressive feel from the KR2. I have not tried the new ones on, I'm just comparing what I have experience with.

My KR1's are shot, and I'd love to get into the KR2 if they have the same fit. So if anyone has input on how these new models ski and fit compared to the old kryps, I'd love to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard7763 View Post
    FWIW, I've read that the KR2 has a more upright stance than the KR1. I ski KR1 every day, and love them. I bought a pair of sherpas for touring. Aside from the roomier fit for touring, they are also more upright.

If you love the forward lean of the KR1, you might not get that aggressive feel from the KR2. I have not tried the new ones on, I'm just comparing what I have experience with.

My KR1's are shot, and I'd love to get into the KR2 if they have the same fit. So if anyone has input on how these new models ski and fit compared to the old kryps, I'd love to hear it.
    One of the key features I appreciate as a fitter with the Kryps is the adjustability, especially with respect to forward lean. You can vary the forward lean easily and significantly. As for fit, the KR2 is much more anatomically shaped than the previous version which was pretty straight in the forefoot. The new last is actually shaped like a foot, not like a piece of PVC pipe.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Quote Originally Posted by weasel1 View Post
    One of the key features I appreciate as a fitter with the Kryps is the adjustability, especially with respect to forward lean. You can vary the forward lean easily and significantly. As for fit, the KR2 is much more anatomically shaped than the previous version which was pretty straight in the forefoot. The new last is actually shaped like a foot, not like a piece of PVC pipe.
    Good to hear on the forward lean. My feet are kind of shaped like a pvc pipe, so I'm worried the new "pre-punched" shell will be too roomy.

My brother has pipe-shaped feet, has both KR1s and KR2s, vastly prefers the KR2. But as always, YMMV.

Switched from KR1 to KR2 last year, got probably 20 days on them, I have done no shell mods on the KR2. My KR1s I punched both inside ankles and a big toe grind/stretch on the left. That better anatomical fit translates to improved performance. If you're ever in Washington, we will be adding the KR2 to our demo fleet this year at Crystal Mountain

KR2 vs Lupo-
    Its like comparing the Lange RS130 and the RX130/XT130, the solid solid boots have much better response. That's also relative to skier, ski width and snow conditions. If I skied Utah powder everyday i think it would be very hard to tell a difference but hard or variable snow the rubber sole boots don't transmit power to the ski as well.
    Last edited by fcetoface; 09-13-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard7763 View Post
    Good to hear on the forward lean. My feet are kind of shaped like a pvc pipe, so I'm worried the new "pre-punched" shell will be too roomy.
    I loved my KR1, and have similarly narrow feet. I was also worried that the "wider" KR2 would cost me control. My fears were misplaced. KR2-pro with intuition liner fits amazingly well. Better comfort and control than my KR1. I was wrong.

Hey guys, I ride KR 1's and am getting either the KR 2's or Lupo's. The KR 2's fix all the issues I had with my KR 1's and I know they're the safe pick, but the Lupo's fix all the issues and also give me everything I wish my boot had. At least on paper, but i've been fooled before.

I heli, sled, and am constantly climbing rocky areas so rubber soles sound dandy, as does a walk mode. But I have to admit i'm not optimistic even dalbello could add these features without losing significant power transfer and response in the boot. Thoughts?

mo' opining?
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    I loved my KR1, and have similarly narrow feet. I was also worried that the "wider" KR2 would cost me control. My fears were misplaced. KR2-pro with intuition liner fits amazingly well. Better comfort and control than my KR1. I was wrong.
    That is AWESOME to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    I heli, sled, and am constantly climbing rocky areas so rubber soles sound dandy, as does a walk mode. But I have to admit i'm not optimistic even dalbello could add these features without losing significant power transfer and response in the boot. Thoughts?
    BD did a great job with the Factor, and they have just released the new & improved version (the MX), so I don't think Dalbello will have major issues. I don't think the shell materials themselves are changing - at least not what I've read. As long as the walk-mode lock is good/solid, it should be fine I would think. The Factor's release was very robust, and I can bet that the Lupo's will be as well. It sure looks like it on the ads anyway...

I'm super hopeful on these - I'm talking to a shop about getting some for this season as a matter of fact, depending on availability and price. I have been using my KR1's with the less stiff tongue all along, and more upright shouldn't be a problem, especially as I get older and tend to ski more that way anyhow. Count me as more than interested.
    Gravity. It's the law.

I wore out a pair of Krypton Pros and now have 50 days on area with BD Factor 130s. The Factors ski well and I love the walk mode, but locking the boot to a metal bar in the back gives it a flex no where near as sweet as the Krypts. How is the flex in the Lupos compared to the KR2s?
    Gravity Junkie