Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

how does that deformation/tearing happen? looks sorta like the boot got thrown down a scree field with the tongue flapping away from the rest of the boot

I know a couple people who sized down from Krypton to new KR2.

I skied the KR2 last 2 seasons, no wedges for lean so mine are pretty damned upright, a big change from my old boots, and it fucked with my skiing for the better part of the first season I was in them, but after adjusting I like the upright way better.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post

how does that deformation/tearing happen? looks sorta like the boot got thrown down a scree field with the tongue flapping away from the rest of the boot

I know a couple people who sized down from Krypton to new KR2.

I skied the KR2 last 2 seasons, no wedges for lean so mine are pretty damned upright, a big change from my old boots, and it fucked with my skiing for the better part of the first season I was in them, but after adjusting I like the upright way better.
    I think that tear is mostly from reefing on the tongue too much when booting/unbooting, especially unbooting on really cold days. Probably doesn't help that I'm a compulsive buckle fiddler, and unbuckle on the lift almost every run. Doing that shit probably takes its toll on all the involved parts; buckles, cables, tongue connection.

I just checked my shell fit, even though I was pretty confident it was good, and I prolly have 1-1.5 cm behind my heels. The boots are snug when buckled, without being vices, and I'm going to try to find a compromise between strangle hold, and oops, I just stepped in a bucket looseness, so I only fiddle with the buckles maybe every 3-4 runs. I think this will probably help to cut down on the cramping, and keep my feet warmer at the same time, which is the main reason I like to unbuckle on the lift. It's all a head-game anyway; as OCD as I am about a tight boot, I know there's been plenty of times, especially in soft snow, when I've forgotten to buckle up, and didn't notice till 3/4 of the way down the trail, if at all.

As far as the lower ramp/cuff angle; it's really too early to tell, but it kind of feels like the slightly more upright stance makes for a smoother transition from edge to edge. Seems like my hips roll over easier, if that makes any sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

biggest advantages IMO are

better feel for snow

faster edge changes/pressure bias mods

taller = more suspension where forward = shorter (and so, forward kinda forces you to use more hip/knee angulation)

also a lot easier on my body, less tired after a similar kind of day even though I'm old as, and getting older

Anybody have sizing advice on these? My foot's between 260 and 265mm, and I fit the newer LV Langes in a 25 pretty easily, and the only Dalbello's I"ve found to try are the Panteras, which seem plenty long in 25.5. So am assuming I'll need to size down to 25s for KRs or Lupos as well, despite lower volume. Will continue to search for some to try on, but collecting data in the meantime.

Fit "pretty easily" and "plenty long" are two warning flags for boots that soon will be too big. Try the 24.5. No difference in half sizes in almost all alpine boots

Quote Originally Posted by ready2tumble View Post
    Anybody have sizing advice on these? My foot's between 260 and 265mm, and I fit the newer LV Langes in a 25 pretty easily, and the only Dalbello's I"ve found to try are the Panteras, which seem plenty long in 25.5. So am assuming I'll need to size down to 25s for KRs or Lupos as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Fit "pretty easily" and "plenty long" are two warning flags for boots that soon will be too big. Try the 24.5. No difference in half sizes in almost all alpine boots
    Yup. 25.0 has same plastic shell as 25.5, just more stuffing that will soon pack out. If 25.5 is too big, then you need to try a 24.5 (or another boot).

OK, let me rephrase this. I'm referring 25 and 25.5 interchangeably; sorry -- I know they're the same shell. I don't think jumping down to a 24 is realistic, since I'm looking at these boots because they're low-volume in the first place. I'm mostly just trying to make sure they're not actually _shorter_ than the Panteras or than similarly sized Lange RXs.

On the other hand, the Pantera 25s do seem freakishly roomy for a 290-something BSL boot. I can probably get my hands on some women's 24s in some model, just to see.

FWIW, I just got lupos in a 28.5 and I've ALWAYS worn a 29.5. I was reluctant/worried, but that seems to be the best shell fit.
    That's just a length thing though... I will be doing LOTS of punching for width in the forefoot.

Nice heel pocket in these though. stoked to try them.

Lupo was waaay too upright for me; 9° is a no go.
    Sold it and picked up a kr2.

Big forward lean wedge (15°), C tongue with stiffener and I am a happy man.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

I just started skiing my KR2's with my newly re-fucked ankle. I'll put in a few more days and then jump back to the Lupo and see if I can offer more info. I have the KR2's set up "in the middle" right now. They seem pretty decent. My ankle - not so much. Surgery this spring if I make it through the season.
    Gravity. It's the law.

From the Virus thread:

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I could ski in a 26.5 Maestrale or Virus for an hour or two straight out of the box. A 26.5 TLT6 crushes my instep and medial midfoot, but I ski in a 27.5 with a bunch of work (granted, the 26.5 Scarpas are kind of between the two Dynafit shells). I can't stand a 26.5 KR2 for more than a minute or two once I get it buckled.
    So if I have a high, pointy instep that just tolerates a 26 Mercury with an Intuition liner, and couldn't handle Flexons back in the day, is it even worth trying to find a 25 KR2/Lupo to try on?

I have been skiing the KR2 (ID, with Intuition wrap liner) since the middle of last season and it is an incredible boot. I was on Salomon X Max 130's before and there is no comparison.

The power of the KR2 is almost unbelievable. You put these boots on your feet and suddenly you're just a stronger, better skier. Simple. Like having superpowers.

I was going to write a fucking love song about them but just read the reviews everywhere.

The reason I'm posting is that I use SkiTrax on my KR2's and they are COMPLETELY legit.

They are super easy to put on. It's kind of a pain to fish around for them (they fit in cargo pockets) but once they're on you can hike the distances and terrain intended for a minimal walk function like that of the Lupo.

Also, adjusting the KR2 forward-lean to fully upright makes it much easier to walk (it also makes them charge harder, depending on style I guess so YMMV on that point).

Anyway, the Lupo seems like a great option but I went for the KR2 because of the solid boot lugs and I really believe I made the right decision. The performance is cutting-edge perfection and I wouldn't want to risk compromising that for a mediocre walk function and thin rubber treads when something like the skitrax exists.

That being said, I HAVE NOT SKIED THE LUPO.

Dalbello - KR2 v. Lupo SP

Quote Originally Posted by kookjong-san View Post
    I have been skiing the KR2 (ID, with Intuition wrap liner) since the middle of last season and it is an incredible boot. I was on Salomon X Max 130's before and there is no comparison.

The power of the KR2 is almost unbelievable. You put these boots on your feet and suddenly you're just a stronger, better skier. Simple. Like having superpowers.

I was going to write a fucking love song about them but just read the reviews everywhere.

The reason I'm posting is that I use SkiTrax on my KR2's and they are COMPLETELY legit.

They are super easy to put on. It's kind of a pain to fish around for them (they fit in cargo pockets) but once they're on you can hike the distances and terrain intended for a minimal walk function like that of the Lupo.

Also, adjusting the KR2 forward-lean to fully upright makes it much easier to walk (it also makes them charge harder, depending on style I guess so YMMV on that point).

Anyway, the Lupo seems like a great option but I went for the KR2 because of the solid boot lugs and I really believe I made the right decision. The performance is cutting-edge perfection and I wouldn't want to risk compromising that for a mediocre walk function and thin rubber treads when something like the skitrax exists.

That being said, I HAVE NOT SKIED THE LUPO.
    Skiing Langes for over a decade must have spoiled me; the kryptons and now KR 2's are similarly responsive, but warmer and lighter.

I just installed the set of tru-grip rubber toe/heels (same as what comes on the Lupo), and so far me likee. They still have some plastic inserts that keep the boot/binding connection solid, but provide much better grip on hard surfaces like rocks on hike-to terrain, or even the wrought iron stairs to the lodge at Loveland.

Can't say enough good things about these boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Can someonw please give me info about Lupo SP tongue stiffness. There are 2 in package: black and orange.

How stiff should black be? 130?
    Orange tongue?

I found this on epic forum. Is it valid?

Two Tongues: 130 flex and 110

http://www.epicski.com/t/125447/2014...n#post_1682442
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by çayzi View Post
    Can someonw please give me info about Lupo SP tongue stiffness. There are 2 in package: black and orange.

How stiff should black be? 130?
    Orange tongue?

I found this on epic forum. Is it valid?

Two Tongues: 130 flex and 110

http://www.epicski.com/t/125447/2014...n#post_1682442
    Thanks!
    Anyone?

The black tongue is the stiffer one.

http://www.dalbello.it/en/boots/big-mountain/lupo-sp-id

Click on the links on the page to read all about the boot. The interwebzz is your friend.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    The black tongue is the stiffer one.

http://www.dalbello.it/en/boots/big-mountain/lupo-sp-id

Click on the links on the page to read all about the boot. The interwebzz is your friend.
    It only says one is medium and another is stiff. So which flex exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by ready2tumble View Post
    From the Virus thread:

So if I have a high, pointy instep that just tolerates a 26 Mercury with an Intuition liner, and couldn't handle Flexons back in the day, is it even worth trying to find a 25 KR2/Lupo to try on?
    Yes, the KR2 shell is higher in the instep than the Mercury. The KR2 and Lupo feel different (Dalbello reps say this is due to different densities of foam in the liners) but I am OK with the instep height on either in a 26.5 (forefoot and medial midfoot would need some major punching, though) and I struggled with the instep in the 27.5 Mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by çayzi View Post
    It only says one is medium and another is stiff. So which flex exactly?
    Keep in mind that 130 and 110 are just numbers. There is no standard in measuring boot stiffness...
    Always Fight Gravity

Tongue Flex

The "Orange" tongue is a "B" flex (stiff - according to website) and the Black/Gray tongue is a "C" flex (medium - according to website). Letters are stamped on inside of tongue. So... the Orange tongue is more stiff than the Black/Gray.

Don't know about you guys, but this solved my problem with the forward lean angle:

It's a stock Full Tilt forward lean wedge (the small one) inserted between the cuff and the base.

Is it perfect? No. I'd expect Dalbello to have come up with a simlar, branded solution to give us the option from the get-go. And the wedge doesn't quite cover the full surface of the lower shelf structure (although it perfectly covers the full contact area between the hike mechanism and the shelf).

…but it does solve my position problem.

^^^ nice.

the Lupo was too upright for me.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

^^ that's awesome. How does that attach?

So after a season switching back & forth between the Lupo and KR2 Pro ID, I'm sticking with the Lupo. The "plug style" soles on the KR2 aren't as friendly as the Lupo, especially with as much time as I spend on my feet while patrolling. The liners in the Lupo are a bit more "comfy" - the liners in the KR2 are VERY firm. The upright stance of the Lupo doesn't bother me much, especially after putting the thicker spoiler in. Beyond that, from an overall performance standpoint, they both RIP. Not a lot of difference one way or the other.

Still...the best boots I've ever had. I hope that Dalbello being sold doesn't screw that up.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    ^^ that's awesome. How does that attach?
    You just shove it between the cuff and the lower section. There's space between the two shells and the shelf stops the wedge sliding out.