Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^Dalbello Scorpion and Strike 130 come with an Intuition liner. So does the Lupo or Kr2 (which comes with multiple FWD lean shim), both of which have a FAR better fit compared to Full Tilt if you desire any kind of heel pocket in your boots.
    its the lack of rubber soles on the KR2 or would have bought them for last season...

Anyone know the weight of the Lupo ID Liner?

I'm looking at changing out my Coshise for a set of Lupo's but as it will be a slackcountry touring boot, I'm not a fan of the weight penalty of the Lupo. If I could put my regular intuition's in there to save weight, that would make it a little easier.

Also does anyone know for sure that the Lupo will have tech inserts next year?

The boots are 100% sold out locally, so I either buy a discounted set online and have CAST install tech toes, or wait and buy a new set next year. Either way I wont get too many days on them this season, after shipping, fitting etc, and the overall cost would end up being pretty close.

^ that be it the case i'd wait, plus next year you may find something you like better then the Lupo.

Fwiw, the Pantera was on my short list this year. A boot fitter at a shop that didn't carry it suggested i try them, thought the buckle by the articulation point would help heel hold issues due to my high arch, low instep, narrow ankles. I traveled to a shop that had them, the fit wasn't for me. Heel hold wasn't as expected, shop guy installed a wedge, still wasn't ideal. Also the toe box height was low pressing down on my big toe toenail, i think that aspect inherent of the boots hinged tongue construction, although i didn't experience it with the Dalbello Sherpa 5/5 i tried.

Quote Originally Posted by tDot13 View Post
    Anyone know the weight of the Lupo ID Liner?
    It isn't any heavier than a powerwrap. Its generally a little softer, less dense. If there is any weight difference between the ID intuition and their other liners, it's so small as to be negligible, especially given the weight of the shells.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Also does anyone know for sure that the Lupo will have tech inserts next year? .
    Doesn't look like it: http://www.newschoolers.com/readnews...llo---SIA-2014

Sherpa looks like the only tech insert boot from Dabello

Also does anyone know for sure that the Lupo will have tech inserts next year?
    doesn't look like... that's the thing they are missing!

http://issuu.com/zuzupopo/docs/dalbe...175889/6710150

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Doesn't look like it: http://www.newschoolers.com/readnews...llo---SIA-2014

Sherpa looks like the only tech insert boot from Dabello
    ...and completely unchanged for the third model year in a row!

A rumour has been going around (from fairly good sources) since Ispo that there's gonna be a late-release of the Lupo, remade similarly to cochise vs cochise pro light, with added tech-inserts.
    Plake tried to name the Virus as the Lupo to begin with but was over-ruled by the Dalbello marketing department and apparently they dont want to use the Lupo name on the remade tech-boot so there's no telling what the "pro light" version of the Lupo is gonna be called.
    Late 2014 or early 2015.
    fwiw

skied on my new kryptons for the first time today. for me the difference between it and the lupo is like night and day. those boots are not even close to the same. the lateral stiffness is so much better in the krypton, and when the boot isnt blowing out and collapsing, i dont mind the new more upright stance of the KR2

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    A rumour has been going around (from fairly good sources) since Ispo that there's gonna be a late-release of the Lupo, remade similarly to cochise vs cochise pro light, with added tech-inserts.
    Plake tried to name the Virus as the Lupo to begin with but was over-ruled by the Dalbello marketing department and apparently they dont want to use the Lupo name on the remade tech-boot so there's no telling what the "pro light" version of the Lupo is gonna be called.
    Late 2014 or early 2015.
    fwiw
    Awesome... thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by meatspicy View Post
    skied on my new kryptons for the first time today. for me the difference between it and the lupo is like night and day. those boots are not even close to the same. the lateral stiffness is so much better in the krypton, and when the boot isnt blowing out and collapsing, i dont mind the new more upright stance of the KR2
    So the KR2 is causing you problems as well?
    Gravity. It's the law.

Still really diggin my Lupos for skiing, steep skinning.

Love them for this:

Like them for this:

Long flat approaches? Not so much.....

Guess I need to work on my fitting a bit.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Quote Originally Posted by meatspicy View Post
    Which fwd lean shim are you running? Stock or the more-forward one?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Really interesting thread. I'm looking to pick up the Luop or KR2 in the end of season sales you have in the states for use in the Southern winter. I need a 29.5 so options are limited. I can get the KR2 shipped to Aus for $500 AUD or the Lupo for $660 AUD (more expensive shipping on the Lupo).

Is the comfort of the walk mode worth the $160 more? I have Virus Tour IDs for AT so looking more for a resort boot.

Quote Originally Posted by saintberry View Post
    Is the comfort of the walk mode worth the $160 more? I have Virus Tour IDs for AT so looking more for a resort boot.
    Not in my opinion. It's not that good of a walk mode - barely noticeable.

FWIW, since my tele days have likely ended, I bought a pair of KR2's Monday. I'll have a better report once my ankle is better and I can try them on.
    Last edited by axebiker; 04-17-2014 at 12:11 PM.
    Gravity. It's the law.

So what about it Axe? I can get a Lupo or a Fusion right now for about $50 difference. Did the spoiler change not make enough of a difference with the Lupo? Did you get a Pro instead, and feel any better with the cuff angle?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    Late 2014 or early 2015.
    fwiw
    qft. I was asking about a cast mod on a pair of lupos and was told to wait. I was told a lupo like shell made from pebax with tech inserts and 2015 release, although I would assume there should be some around this coming season.

Screw it; I ordered a Fusion. Can't be any worse for touring than my old Rampage. The Lupo doesn't sound like it would be any better for touring, and the 9 degree cuff is a deal breaker.

Fusion has PE lower, PU cuff, vs PU lower & cuff on lupo and core, and HD PU lower and cuff on Pro. Not sure why the PE in the fusion, but I'm guessing that, and the stiffer boot board are what give it the 120 flex over the 110 of the core? I think PE is less subject to stiffness being influenced by temperature, but not really sure. Cold temps make ski boots stiff? Who knew?
    Last edited by bendtheski; 05-31-2014 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Not in my opinion. It's not that good of a walk mode - barely noticeable.
    What the Lupo has is not really a "walk" mode, but more of an overbuilt "stand up straight" mode.
    Last edited by Mudfoot; 06-03-2014 at 07:27 AM.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    What the Lupo has is not really a "walk" mode, but more of an overbuilt "stand up straight" mode.
    Heheh...yeah, that's probably more accurate.
    Gravity. It's the law.

I know its summer but what do you like more axe? the Kr2 Pro or Lupo? I also liked the big wedge in my old kryptons, and starting to think the 9 degree lupo might be a dealbreaker. But I dont like that the new kr2 doesnt have interchangeable heel strikes like the old krypton mold.

Also, has everyone sized down in the kr2 from the old krypton? Im a perfect 27.5 in the old shell design.

Expensive decisions here.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    I know its summer but what do you like more axe? the Kr2 Pro or Lupo? I also liked the big wedge in my old kryptons, and starting to think the 9 degree lupo might be a dealbreaker. But I dont like that the new kr2 doesnt have interchangeable heel strikes like the old krypton mold.

Also, has everyone sized down in the kr2 from the old krypton? Im a perfect 27.5 in the old shell design.

I haven't gotten to ski them (the KR2) yet... Just based on past experience though, I will likely tip the cap toward the KR2's. The Lupos are great, but they aren't a "quiver of one" if people are thinking of them as an alternative AT boot. They're really an alpine boot with a few marketing enhancements. I was able to get used to the "upright-ness" of the Lupo however. I'm not overly sensitive to stuff like that, and my gear changes so often...I'm always in "learning mode", so I get along with most stuff. I did notice it initially, but did all I could to maximize the forward lean, mainly in putting in the larger rear spoiler. You could do some foam too if you really needed to.

As far as the heel, I know it's not "Mag-approved", but think about Cat Tracks or whatever the heck they call them. I use them all the time since starting as a patroller, since I'm on my feet more than I'm on my skis it would seem. Save your boots, and SO much easier to walk in on concrete, nevermind on hardpack.

I did not size down. That would have put me in a 26.5, and I can't tolerate that shell size. Sucks too, since I'm a 27.0. The Intuition liners really help in that regard though - the pack-out is minimal compared to many other liners. That and Superfeet. When the liners die, I just go with high-volume replacements. I didn't not notice a significant difference between the shells though - IIRC, the BSL is the same? I guess I hadn't heard/noticed that people were sizing down. Certainly not necessary IMO.
    Last edited by axebiker; 08-19-2014 at 08:15 AM.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Also, has everyone sized down in the kr2 from the old krypton? Im a perfect 27.5 in the old shell design..
    No need to size down. If you're happy with the old KR, you'll be happy with the KR2

I didn't size down, and the 25.5 KR 2 Fusion feels about as snug at my 25.5 Rampages.
    FWIW, the Fusion, and Cores have replaceable toe/heel, and Dalbello is supposed to have "Hy-GRIP" rubber toe & heel sets available this fall.

You could make a Fusion just about as stiff as a Pro by using the stiffer tongue. The solid sole of the Pro might equal better energy transmission to the edge, but I'm a hack, and probably wouldn't notice the difference. Replaceable/rubber sole is more important to me for hiking the ridge, although every krypton I've owned has had to be replaced because of the metal tongue clip splitting the plastic on the boot's lower, not because of the sole being worn out.

Maybe I should learn to boot-up/down in a way that puts less stress on the tongue/lower? Anyone else experience this problem?

I got an email from Dalbello saying the Hy-Grip soles would be available in Nov. Dalbello item #991210 for anyone looking to get their dealer to order a set. $39.99 a set. Going to try to get a set ordered this week.

2-day impression: The KR 2/contour4 fit feels really good, and the 2 degree more upright cuff is barely noticeable, and if anything is an improvement. The Fusion with the stock mid-stiff tongue feels at least as stiff as my last pair of Rampages with the stiff tongue, but have only used on 1 not very challenging WROD at Loveland, so will probably be a while before I can make a fair assessment.