Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel1 View Post
    I am a 10.5-11 streetshoe, my Lupos are 27s with a 317 BSL. Feel pretty close in length to my 315BSL Dobie Pros. The Lupo lower shell is identical to the other KR2 shells in fit. You can probably push it out, but I would only bother if you are really close or in between the two sizes.
    I'm a solid 9-9.5/42 and the 307 BSL KPs are tight. Seems like I'd be pushing it to stretch the 25.5's. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBuecking View Post
    I skied the Panterra and Lupo last year, about 15 days each. Neither of them are touring boots, but they're both great resort boots.

The Lupo's tongues are swappable with KR2s'. For me, (5'9" 155 lbs), the 110 was the ticket. When combined with their upright stance, the 130 tongue worked me. The walk mode is good for boot packing around the resort, apres, and riding a sled, but not suitable for long tours, IMO. (Then again, it doesn't have tech fittings, so how could it be?) It just doesn't have a cuff range that's comparable to my touring boot's (Freedom SL). I don't think the walk mode compromises their down hill performance at all.

Don't overlook the Panterra 120 because of its advertised last. It fits my 98mm foot perfectly, as does the Lupo. The fourth buckle is great. I don't know about changing the last of the whole boot, but clamping it down definitely keeps my narrow foot from slipping, even in the mankiest of mank. The cuff is a touch lower, the liner is a bit softer, and the walk mechanism operates a smidge more smoothly than the Lupo's. These factors make the boot ski softer, and walk better. I think the Panterra 120's flex tongue with the plush liner is pretty darn close to the Lupo's flex with the ID liner and 110 tongue. They're way less expensive, too.

I'll be skiing in Panterra 120s this year. If they didn't make them, I'd still be in FT Seths.
    I am skiing the Kr2 and I just ramped the heel back to where the old Kryptons were and its ski much better with the 130 tongue and ramped heel vs upright and 110. IMO upright stances are freaking lame.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    I am skiing the Kr2 and I just ramped the heel back to where the old Kryptons were and its ski much better with the 130 tongue and ramped heel vs upright and 110. IMO upright stances are freaking lame.
    One man's lame is another's life saver. Proper forward lean angle is so person-specific that any individual opinion on what a "correct" angle is, is just plain meaningless for anyone else.

Unless you're an identical twin, in which case it may have some bearing.

The fact that the Lupo lean is not adjustable makes the stock lean position actually more versatile. The way the block is made, grinding it for less lean would be tricky, but you could easily add lean by building up either the block or the lower cuff shelf it sits against.

I actually think it would be easy and handy for them to have the walk mode block connect to the metal frame with a bolt that fits into eccentric inserts on each side of the frame. Then at least you could have two forward lean positions, or maybe more with different inserts (like the plastic cuff alignment inserts work).
    Last edited by weasel1; 12-08-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Do you think there are plans to update the kr2 any time soon???

Molds are pricey, so likely nothing more than farkles and bits for a while. I would be surprised if major shell changes are forthcoming, but I have no insider knowledge on this.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Just as last year It was between these and ft newer soled boots and went full tilt - rubber soles did it for me...

Quote Originally Posted by weasel1 View Post
    One man's lame is another's life saver. Proper forward lean angle is so person-specific that any individual opinion on what a "correct" angle is, is just plain meaningless for anyone else.
    I agree with you completely, which is why I am baffled that an experienced boot company would put out a top line (and priced) model with what is a somewhat radical forward lean that is not adjustable, particularly when their most popular previous models were highly adjustable in flex and forward lean.
    Gravity Junkie

^^^^^ Yes, my thoughts exactly. This is the major disadvantage to this boot relative to the standard kr2. However, I think it is a little mitigated by the fact that it is more upright stock. With the two spoiler options and some work you can add quite a bit of forward lean. Taking it away, however, would be much more difficult. I also think the adjustability could be addressed by a redesigned frame, or simply the inclusion of a few sets of frames set up for different angles, as they do with the other parts on these Mr. potato head boots.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_donald View Post
    Just as last year It was between these and ft newer soled boots and went full tilt - rubber soles did it for me...
    ?...... These have rubber soles...

I finally was able to put these to the test. I left Tahoe and skied Aspen this past week and weekend in all conditions and pitches. These boots leaving nothing to be desired. No regrets. Quite content.

I did a few hikes and the hike/walk mode is nice but it's subtle. It adds very little.
    They are way to heavy to for b/c and IMHO even side-country.
    Last edited by Jim S; 01-13-2014 at 09:54 PM.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

I bought a pair of Lupos right after Christmas. Skied on them for seven days straight. Had been considering a Dalebello or Full Tilt for a while, and I'm glad I pulled the trigger on the Lupo.
    Powerwrap liner, walk mode, sweet flex, replaceable toes & heels, apline DIN binding fit- Hell Yeah!
    They were very upright for until I switched out the spoiler. Lupos are heavy and the walk mode isn't much but I'm not going to be touring on them- just a few hikes. I am really glad to be back in a more alpine boot after 6 or 7 seasons in AT style boots.
    Originally Posted by nickwm21
    "hitting rocks ain't normal use in their eyes..."

After a few more days in these, I found I was fighting with skis that weren't more center mounted. They're great with my Rossi S5's, but with my BD Verdicts, a bit awkward. The further back the binding is on the ski, the more I notice how upright they are. I put the black spoiler in tonight, which is thicker, and should give a few more degrees of lean, which hopefully gets me a little more where I feel like I need to be. I think he other factor is that I'm in my Tele boots a lot more than alpine these days, and I think they have a bit more forward lean, and because I'm dropping a knee, I get even more pressure on the front of the boot.

Beyond that, I'm very satisfied with these boots. They have been everything I hoped they would be...except bright green!!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Wow, plethora of experience based info here!!! Can someone please advise me: I ski the east primarily (live NJ), aggressive / fast (usually), advanced / expert, 5'11", 180lbs.....just purchased new set up but haven't had bindings mounted. After reading all the info on Krypton 2 I am thinking I may need to do a boot upgrade before mounting. I am also wondering about the skis I purchased (good brand, model, size). I am open to purchasing alternate anything and putting what I have on ebay; I really want to get an optimal set up.
    Currently, unmounted; Ski Logik Front Burners 178cm, 2014 Marker Griffons, 2011 Salomon CS Pro Falcons.
    Thanks in advance any insights, Scott

How does the lupo uprightness compare to the current full tilt wallish or Seth boots?

I have been an atomic race boot man all my life but tried full tilts and tempted with these as seems to be the best of both worlds in a boot...

Also can't wait to see SIA to see of there are any new offerings...

Sheesh...JONG alert...

Anyway... Skied my Lupos with the black spoilers last night. Wow...what a difference! The upright awkwardness has left the building! Now they ski almost exactly like my Kryp Pros did. Super happy!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by drscoot View Post
    Wow, plethora of experience based info here!!! Can someone please advise me: I ski the east primarily (live NJ), aggressive / fast (usually), advanced / expert, 5'11", 180lbs.....just purchased new set up but haven't had bindings mounted. After reading all the info on Krypton 2 I am thinking I may need to do a boot upgrade before mounting. I am also wondering about the skis I purchased (good brand, model, size). I am open to purchasing alternate anything and putting what I have on ebay; I really want to get an optimal set up.
    Currently, unmounted; Ski Logik Front Burners 178cm, 2014 Marker Griffons, 2011 Salomon CS Pro Falcons.
    Thanks in advance any insights, Scott
    Falcons are great boots. Ski what fits you.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Falcons are great boots. Ski what fits you.
    A VERY different boot from the Lupo, I might add.
    Gravity. It's the law.

I am ready to throw my Lupos in the trash. I switched to the Lupo after wearing out the toe on my 2nd pair of KR1 pros (my favorite boot ever). The Lupo by comparison is INSANELY upright. I have a hard time staying forward on them, as they are constantly making me stand straight up. Also most importantly, the lateral stiffness does not come remotely close to the Krypton. Any time I hit chunder/variable snow while I have my skis on edge the boot collapses/deflects in a way that my Kryptons never did. I feel like I have to ski these so far in the backseat, both because of the upright stance, and because of the fear of plowing through them if I ever try driving them hard. I can drive my Dynafit boot harder than I can this boot

I am fully disappointed in this boot and am switching back to the Krypton

I am 6' 190lbs, am using the stiff tongue and ski a Rossi squad 7 and a line influence 115.

Weird. I can barely tell the difference any more. Not back seat, but I am more conscious of pushing the tongue. It's not quite as automatic as my old Kryp Pros. That said, I also find it easier to un-weight and pivot my skis with the Lupo than any other boot I've owned. I'm on the softer (orange) tongues, and I did put the thicker black spolier in the boot recently, and it made ALL the difference. FWIW, you and I have nearly identical stats.

I guess it just goes to show, huh?
    Last edited by axebiker; 02-20-2014 at 09:16 AM.
    Gravity. It's the law.

funny this thread has me thinking...

i was going to go to the lupo next season as a side country touring setup...

currently on Full tilts and not a fan of these since skied on Atomic or Lange race boots my entire life... but do love the intuition liner so these were my thinking...

hmmm not sure now...

Meaty.....have you changed out the spoiler for the thicker one? Are you using the stiff tongue or soft?

At 265lbs, I find them more than adequate flex-wise. Granted, I have spent a few seasons in factors and it's been a while since I have been in my Dobie Pros, but I have been exceptionally pleased with the stiffness and power transfer in this boot so far. Granted, I suck at skiing, so YMMV.

Touring is fine, not great, but I only do short tours anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_donald View Post
    funny this thread has me thinking...

i was going to go to the lupo next season as a side country touring setup...

currently on Full tilts and not a fan of these since skied on Atomic or Lange race boots my entire life... but do love the intuition liner so these were my thinking...

hmmm not sure now...
    You can get Intuitions after-market and put them in anything. I wouldn't make that the ONE thing that tips you toward a boot.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Hopefully getting fitted to some Lupos this weekend. My fulltilts are basically dead.

Any maintenence issues with the walk mode or swappable soles?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    You can get Intuitions after-market and put them in anything. I wouldn't make that the ONE thing that tips you toward a boot.
    ye i realise that but that adds 200 to the price...

the lighter weight helps too... only have about 60 days or so on my flu tilts since i have hardly skied this year...

what are the changes for dalbello boots for next season on the lupos???

^^Dalbello Scorpion and Strike 130 come with an Intuition liner. So does the Lupo or Kr2 (which comes with multiple FWD lean shim), both of which have a FAR better fit compared to Full Tilt if you desire any kind of heel pocket in your boots.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos