Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Footboards are removable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakelander View Post
    Footboards are removable.
    Do they come with both types then?
    Gravity. It's the law.

I finally received a response from Dalbello. Here are the forward lean numbers they gave me:

The Lupo’s have 9 degrees of forward lean. You can’t change the forward lean on the Lupo due to the Hike/Ride cuff lock.

The Kr2 Pro is 11 degrees with the 4mm insert and 13 degrees with the 8mm insert.

The Kr1-Pro (original Krypton Pro) is 13 degrees with the 4mm, 15 degrees with the 8mm insert.
    (I am almost certain this is 2 degrees more upright that what the Manual said)

Based on my experience, and compared to the Kryptons 9 degrees is really freaking upright. I believe the high end Langs are 12 degrees out of the box. I'll be interested to hear everyone's comments after you get some downhill mileage in them this winter.
    Gravity Junkie

Tried on the Lupo's in the shop this past weekend. In my original Kryptons I have them at 13. With my knees locked I just start to fall forward. In the Lupos I could stand comfortably with my knees locked. I was also not really impressed with the walk mode. As others have said it's not great.

Sales guy said you might be able to get some forward lean adjustment with the different spoiler (sp?). I'm not sure what its called but its the part that you need to take off to install boosters. Didn't make a ton of sense to me at the time since it seemed to me that the offset would just get smushed into the liner.
    Your jambox is now his...by way of our actions

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    or scarpa freedom, I will try getting one fitted this fall! K2 seems way too heavy... people have been reporting good stuff about the freedom

I've actually been really thinking about the K2s lately since I've heard such good things about their downhill performance. No swappable soles to fuck with and although I'm sure the walk mode will make my Sherpa 5/5s feel like slippers, I'm kind of looking for an alpine boot that happens to be able to walk and have tech toes... Just not sure bout how it will jive with my foot. I guess there's only one way to tell.

That and I don't have an "in" to get these K2s for cheap. My anus is just not ready for that kind of traffic haha

If the Lupos had tech fittings though, I'd buy them in a second. Dalbello makes just about a perfect lower for my foot shape so just kind of wishing out loud that they made them that way for this season.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

I know that like with flex ratings, you cannot really compare manufacturer's claimed forward lean angles between different brands. For years I skied my Kryptons with the big wedge and liked them, and then switched and after much flailing finally got used to the smaller 13 degree wedge because that was what the industry said I was supposed to do. My BD Factor 130s came 18 degrees out of the box and can be adjusted more forward or back to a claimed 22 degrees or 14 degrees. Despite skiing the Krypts at a claimed 13*, I found the Factors unskiable at the 14 degree setting and am using them at the middle 18*. Not sure how much is flex, ramp angle, etc. differences and how much is claimed lean discrepancy.

Based on skiing the Krypts at 13* (and preferring the Factors at a claimed 18*) I don't know how I would be able to ski an unadjustable 9* boot. The proof is in the skiing and hopefully they will all turn to out be monkey numbers because I really want to be able to get into the Lupos. I can live with the lame walk mode if they have the Dalbello sweet flex and a lean I can ski.
    Last edited by Mudfoot; 11-20-2013 at 01:30 PM.
    Gravity Junkie

My Lupos arrived today. I have cave troll calves, so I tend to set my boots up very upright, since the, ahem, tissue mass behind my tib/fib adds a fair amount of its own delta to the mix. For reference, I was skiing Factors prior, set up as upright as they go, and found them to be fine for woods and touring, but lacking for hard snow on appropriately stiff skis. Prior to that I was in Dobie Pro 130s, with the upper spine bent back for less forward lean (again, to accomodate my significant...tissue...mass).

I set my Lupos up last night, but have not yet molded them. Removed the rear spoilers entirely, as I had with my Factors before. Initial impression on the forward lean, comparing bare shell (without spoilers) to bare shell is that the Lupo has more forward lean. No, I didn't measure it. But I think when all is done and molded (the liner will push back a fair bit when I mold it as compared to out of the box) these will end up slightly more forward than my most-upright Factor set-up. They are also wicked stiff in rearward flex, which is a huge gain over the Factor. The upper spine on the Factor was weak, and couldn't drive a really stiff-tailed ski.

The lower shell on these is a KR2. From what I can tell thus far, they really flex and feel no different than a KR2. Rubber soles mean slight difference in energy transmission from the Pro, but honestly, if we are skiing in terrain we all claim to, that won't matter. For what it's worth, I dig the simplicity of the walk lever. Big chunk of metal on a single pivot. If the rivets holding it on to the frame at the pivot were to somehow shear, a single bolt would pass right through and accomplish the same thing, maybe even stronger. I will likely throw a couple bolts in my kit, to be safe, but have no reason to think the system is likely to fail.

They come with only one set of footboards, two sets of tongues (orange is the softer tongue, grey is stiffer) and two sets of rear spoilers.
    Last edited by weasel1; 11-21-2013 at 07:47 AM.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

For those having Lupos at home is it possible to make video how walking mode can be enabled and what is the actuall angle when set to walk mode.

I can not tey thoss shoes , i tried Pradera models and they felt to wide in front. Also walking mode can not be compared to scarpa freedom sl.

But since lupo have a different outlook of walk mode compares to Praderra i wonder how much angle can get out of them.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by çayzi View Post
    i tried Pradera models and they felt to wide in front.
    Pantera is wider (102mm last, instead of 98mm on the Lupo). Pantera is also heavier, with a more complicated tongue, more complicated walk mode lever, and fourth buckle.

I'm still trying to figure out who the Pantera was designed for? Fatties with fat feet who like heavy boots?

Also, the final production walk mechanism is different from the one shown on the Dalbello site, video, etc. Here is a pic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0220.jpg 
Views:	624 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	145092

The pivot point is different, and the strap now has a beefy metal bar at the end of it to make it easier to grab with gloves on. This is good, because you have to flex forward a fair bit to release the mechanism.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Quote Originally Posted by çayzi View Post
    For those having Lupos at home is it possible to make video how walking mode can be enabled and what is the actuall angle when set to walk mode.
    Skis.com has a demo if this. Google it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_-5GK6C6jk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hGb9RsgPwY

All it entails is a pull of a chord which pops the block out, and a spring gets it up and away. To replace, you have to manually puch the block down while flexing forward, and it locks back in. Easy. Not sure why you'd need a video.
    Last edited by axebiker; 11-21-2013 at 11:52 AM.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Got mine the day before yesterday. I have not had them fitted or baked yet.

They feel remarkably similar to my older Kryp Pro ID's. They were immediately comfortable and "at home" for me. I'll warm the liners with a hair dryer, but I will likely NOT take them to a shop for "baking". It won't be necessary for me.

First impression - they don't feel much different from my OG Kryps. I don't feel like I'm overly upright. I had mine set up with the smaller FL wedge, and don't foresee any issues with these. I'm not overly-particular though - I learn to ski the equipment, not the other way around. I'm pretty adaptable. Flex is similar - I'm keeping the orange softer tongues in for now. The walk mode was, in a word, BURLY. I had a helluva time trying to hand release it with the boot off. With the boot on, I can flex the cuff forward, and get it to pop out a little more readily. Same can be said with putting it back in place. I didn't feel that the cuff lost any stiffness at all, but actually getting them on the hill will tell the real story.

Overall, I'm happy with what I've felt so far, and can't wait to get them on the tilted ice rinks!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Here's a pic

Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Here's a pic

Looking at this pic and being and engineer, it seems a little longer/shorter orange lever would change the lean to whatever you want. Possible?

Everyday I'm leaning closer to trying to revive my current KRs for resort days and get the freedoms for everything else. I'm not in tech bindings yet but If I go that route in the spring it would be nice to have a pair of boots ready to go. Freedoms feel different and roomier than my KRs, I'm not sure that's a bad thing for touring yet.
    Your jambox is now his...by way of our actions

Quote Originally Posted by The SMP View Post
    Looking at this pic and being and engineer, it seems a little longer/shorter orange lever would change the lean to whatever you want. Possible?
    Potentially. Better be good at milling aluminum though.

My first "snow day" will be Wednesday, so I hope to have a better review then.
    Gravity. It's the law.

First day on snow for me on these, and was VERY pleased with how they ski. I still need to do some shell work, and get it sorted underfoot, possibly a small punch at the first met, but skied all day in relative comfort, with tons of control and plenty of power. Definitely have given me the power I have been missing since I left the dobies for other touring capable options. No, they aren't light, but neither am I. Very pleased.

Sounds like the Lupos are driving nicely. FWIW, when experimenting with different forward lean settings the differences did not really become apparent until I started skiing bumps and variable terrain. Hard groomers, even steep ones did not really reveal the problems that being "too" upright caused me.
    Gravity Junkie

Skied for the first time today on an uber flat green slope because Tahoe is as dry as the Sahara right now. That being said these fit me very well, the are very comfortable to ski in, and I ddn't feel any lack of forward lean. Flex is typical Dalbello perfection.

I did notice a huge difference walking in the parking lot even in locked ski mode compared to my old Kryptons: the more upright stance is nice.

Walk mode is barely noticeable: it feels like the tongue softens up; not remotely comparable to a true walk mode in AT boots like the Dynafit Mercury or the Scarpa Maestrale RS.
    Last edited by Jim S; 11-27-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

X ia31,/ and a bvdq
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

A aaa. Me l
    B
    Pfizer bî
    Qg
    Snowmobiling is not a crime.

First night out - no complaints! Just like my old green Kryps - first run, tipped over on about my third turn...so no difference at all!

I didn't notice being any more upright, but I did notice that I may need to readjust the canting back to neutral...felt a little hooky when I set them up like my old ones.

The "walk mode" didn't impact things much, but they were more comfortable when standing around. Otherwise, the feel almost identical to the old dogs.

I'm a little sad not to see that bright green on my feet though.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Walk mode is barely noticeable: it feels like the tongue softens up; not remotely comparable to a true walk mode in AT boots like the Dynafit Mercury or the Scarpa Maestrale RS.
    Haven't toured proper in these yet, but I was not as underwhelmed with the walking range of motion as Jim. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how much range there is. Felt like plenty to me, but bear in mind my touring is limited, and in VT never very long. If the approach is long and flat, I'm not doing it. Were I doing more touring than lift serve, or long tours, the weight and range would likely be reasons I would go for something else. But as a daily driver and mate to burly frame touring bindings for sidecountry and straight climb short tours, I would say these are ideal.

Hey Wease,

What BSL are you on and what's your normal shoe size?

Think the shells could be blown out 1cm at the toes? There are 25.5's in GS now and I've been on the old krypton pros 26.5 - which required decent toe punches but mostly for width on the 98mm last.

I am a 10.5-11 streetshoe, my Lupos are 27s with a 317 BSL. Feel pretty close in length to my 315BSL Dobie Pros. The Lupo lower shell is identical to the other KR2 shells in fit. You can probably push it out, but I would only bother if you are really close or in between the two sizes.

Night #2 with the canting back to neutral, and these are perfect!! They drive my Rossi E88's with power to spare. Very precise, and the fit is as good as my beloved Kryp Pros. Very satisfied so far!
    Gravity. It's the law.