Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 124
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Baltimore/Seattle
    Posts
    2,482
    I really liked the fit of the KR2. It's a actually a bit narrow in the 5th met-head for me. Narrower even than the Scorpion, but I never had the KR2 punched cuz:

    Sadly, despite initial reviews to the contrary, the production "B" flex tongue was too soft for me, and I went to the Scorpion 130. I hear they're coming out a with an "A" tongue at some point, so I may consider switching back.

    Just a different opinion. Nothing to say bout the Lupo.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    1/2 way between Reno and Tahoe
    Posts
    5,566
    FWIW Starthaus in Truckee and Bobo's in Reno are not carrying the KR2 this year. In their opinion they feel the Lupo gives up nothing to the KR2 and has some additional features that make it a relative no-brainer.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You donít stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    People's Republic of MN
    Posts
    4,284
    I saw the demo of this boot over at skis.com, and the release mechanism is SICK BURLY! Like a solid block of aluminum. I don't think the rear spine flexing is gonna be an issue, and the flex block insert is still there for the lower shell - just not the forward lean wedges, but I'm guessing that can be adjusted as well.

    I'm getting this boot.

    Now it's just a question of whether I keep my Kryp Pros around, or the Factor 130's... Argh... Choices!

    http://youtu.be/L_-5GK6C6jk
    Gravity. It's the law.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    I saw the demo of this boot over at skis.com, and the release mechanism is SICK BURLY! Like a solid block of aluminum.

    I'm getting this boot.

    Now it's just a question of whether I keep my Kryp Pros around, or the Factor 130's... Argh... Choices!

    http://youtu.be/L_-5GK6C6jk
    Because i'm looking into Dalbello Sherpa 5/5, and Pantera 120 for myself, i'll toss in my 2Ę and say if some slackcountry, i'd question its value as a Factor 130 replacement. Iirc Factor has swappable DIN/Tech soles and some range of motion in walk/tour mode. I'm under the impression Lupo's "walk mode" is good for keeping you from tipping head first into the urinal!

    Another review, imo a little more objective then the skis dot come promo - http://www.bootfitters.com/reviews/2...lbello-lupo-sp

    Good luck with it.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by neonorchid View Post
    Because i'm looking into Dalbello Sherpa 5/5, and Pantera 120 for myself, i'll toss in my 2Ę and say if some slackcountry, i'd question its value as a Factor 130 replacement. Iirc Factor has swappable DIN/Tech soles and some range of motion in walk/tour mode. I'm under the impression Lupo's "walk mode" is good for keeping you from tipping head first into the urinal!

    Another review, imo a little more objective then the skis dot come promo - http://www.bootfitters.com/reviews/2...lbello-lupo-sp

    Good luck with it.
    This post raises an issue I am very interested in. The following is only based on trying on several boots in the shop.

    There seem to be two major types of cross-over (alpine with walk mode). One type is like the Factors which have the traditional AT boot metal bar up the back, which gives you bad flex but a great full range walk mode. The other type is like the Salomon Quest 130s, which have what seems to be a regular forward flex with a release in the back allowing the cuff to go upright. This is lighter, simpler and less likely to break, but provides a half-assed walk mode.

    I think I understand the differences in walk mode, but I am interested in any comparison thoughts people have on how these two basic types of cross-over boots flex and ski. I guess what I am asking is do the shitty walk mode models really ski better, and which type is the Lupo (it sounds like the shitty walk mode)?
    Gravity Junkie

    The white zone is for loading and unloading. If you need to load or unload go to the white zone. You'll love it!
    The Central Scrutinizer

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    1/2 way between Reno and Tahoe
    Posts
    5,566
    I emailed Dalbello and asked what the Lupo give up to the KR2 PRO and here's the reply:

    The main advantage the Kr-Pro has is a solid lug boot sole. The sole can be planed for alignment. You can also add lifter plates as well. The solid lug also allows for greater power energy transmission and unmatched sensitivity to the ski.

    I hope this has helped you with your decision.


    I wouldn't mind a little relief when I'm hiking around Squaw.
    Gonna try this and the Rossi Alltrack Pro 130 tomorrow and be done with it for my alpine setup. I have Mercury for my AT/BC.
    Last edited by Jim S; 10-31-2013 at 03:43 PM.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You donít stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    People's Republic of MN
    Posts
    4,284
    Again, I don't hike much at all, but since I do patrol, ANY kind of walk mode is helpful, as is the rubberized surfaces, since I work on a mound of ice. The Kryps have been unparalleled as a boot FOR ME, and these couple additions make it about perfect. Not worried about tech fittings nor scrambling with them - I don't use those types of bindings, and I'm not ski mountaineering. The Kryp fit is superior to my current BD F130's (or any other boot I've ever skied in), which makes this *almost* a no-brainer.

    Also, I hate tipping head-first into urinals.
    Gravity. It's the law.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bolivar/Davis, WV
    Posts
    4,825
    Future boot funding started for a set of Lupos.
    You are the mission Bob.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    I emailed Dalbello and asked what the Lupo give up to the KR2 PRO and here's the reply:

    The main advantage the Kr-Pro has is a solid lug boot sole. The sole can be planed for alignment. You can also add lifter plates as well. The solid lug also allows for greater power energy transmission and unmatched sensitivity to the ski.

    I hope this has helped you with your decision.


    I wouldn't mind a little relief when I'm hiking around Squaw.
    Gonna try this and the Rossi Alltrack Pro 130 tomorrow and be done with it for my alpine setup. I have Mercury for my AT/BC.
    Ya, I figured the Lupo would have less power transmission but I dunno how much. Bought the Lupo's, haven't ski'd in them yet but put them through as close to skiing tests as I could. I'm not concerned at all about the walk mode compromising the spine anymore, it's super burly and honestly walk mode just lets you stand straight up and and relax while walking. And that's all I need.

    The rubber soles are immediately noticeable and grippy, no more slipping. It comes with the 120 flex tongue on it, if you put the 130 flex tongue on it it feels exactly the same as the KR2. The only advantage I see with the KR2's is the solid lug will probably be more responsive, but I have to think if the Lupo's rubber soles have a dampening effect it should dampen the impact somewhat on hard landings. We'll see but i'm really happy with the fit and feel so far.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    1/2 way between Reno and Tahoe
    Posts
    5,566
    I purchased the Lupo yesterday. Molded the liners with extra packing around my 5th metatarsal hot spot and toe caps. They fit wonderfully; better than my old Kryptons. Pretty happy.

    The walk mode is a joke compared to my AT boots and even for slack country are you kidding? I guess for walking short hikes it's a slight benefit but slight. I guess the boot industry needs to hype and gang bang on something new to sell boots. My Kryptons simply are shot and I need new boots.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You donít stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    People's Republic of MN
    Posts
    4,284
    Lupos ordered today!
    Gravity. It's the law.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    839
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    The walk mode is a joke compared to my AT boots and even for slack country are you kidding?
    I'm a KR2 PRO skier since last year, but the Lupos do look sweet. The walk mode looks like the only drawback to me- I just don't get putting a bogus "walk mode" (and they always are) on a high performance alpine boot. I guess its most likely a marketing thing - you can tell kids they can ski "slackcountry" in their boots.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    617
    You either get good flex/skiability or good walk mode, but no one seems to have figured out both yet. Maybe an elastomer stretcher in the bottom of the metal bar version of the walk mode would allow full range of motion but sweeter flex when locked.
    Gravity Junkie

    The white zone is for loading and unloading. If you need to load or unload go to the white zone. You'll love it!
    The Central Scrutinizer

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5
    I honestly probably wouldn't have bought the boots if the range of motion in the walk mode was a lot. Nobody knows how to do it in an Alpine boot and keep the performance. Like I said it's just enough motion to get into a much more relaxed stance and take that extra strain off the muscles. It doesn't seem like much, but I know this is going to make a difference for me recovering run to run and ultimately extend my day.

    Edit: I do not think these should ever be considered a touring boot, just an improvement on your everyday alpine boot.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    I emailed Dalbello and asked what the Lupo give up to the KR2 PRO and here's the reply:

    The main advantage the Kr-Pro has is a solid lug boot sole. .
    If I understand the info on the Dalebello web site correctly the PRO has adjustable forward lean and flex, but they do not mention either of those things for the LUPO. Is it correct that you are stuck with the stock upright forward lean on the LUPO, and the only option for adjusting the flex is to replace the tongue?
    Last edited by Mudfoot; 11-06-2013 at 04:24 PM.
    Gravity Junkie

    The white zone is for loading and unloading. If you need to load or unload go to the white zone. You'll love it!
    The Central Scrutinizer

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    People's Republic of MN
    Posts
    4,284
    I'll let you know in about 10 days...
    Gravity. It's the law.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    1/2 way between Reno and Tahoe
    Posts
    5,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    If I understand the info on the Dalebello web site correctly the PRO has adjustable forward lean and flex, but they do not mention either of those things for the LUPO. Is it correct that you are stuck with the stock upright forward lean on the LUPO, and the only option for adjusting the flex is to replace the tongue?
    I believe you are correct.

    The stock tongue that comes IN the boot is the softer of the two.
    That's fine for a 50 year old with bilateral ACL recons such as yours truly. Yes, Jesus and Moses were super cool back in the day.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You donít stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    617
    I really liked the adjustability of the Kryptons with 3 forward lean options (13, 15 & 17 degrees), 2 tongues and multiple interior flex adjustments. It sounds like all of that has been lost in the Lupos. I suppose it is a question for Dalbello, but does anyone know how the stock forward lean on the Lupos compares to the old Krypton options?

    I skied my Kryps for years with the big wedge (17*) and then was working on getting used to the small wedge (15*) when my Kryps wore out and I got some BD Factors, which I am enjoying, but I sure miss that sweet Krypton progressive flex, and it sounds like the Lupos have it, but upright ankles is not how I ski. If you have to change your style to match your equipment something is backwards.
    Last edited by Mudfoot; 11-06-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    Gravity Junkie

    The white zone is for loading and unloading. If you need to load or unload go to the white zone. You'll love it!
    The Central Scrutinizer

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Ice Coast
    Posts
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    I really liked the adjustability of the Kryptons with 3 forward lean options (13, 15 & 17 degrees), 2 tongues and multiple interior flex adjustments. It sounds like all of that has been lost in the Lupos. I suppose it is a question for Dalbello, but does anyone know how the stock forward lean on the Lupos compares to the old Krypton options?

    I skied my Kryps for years with the big wedge (17*) and then was working on getting used to the small wedge (15*) when my Kryps wore out and I got some BD Factors, which I am enjoying, but I sure miss that sweet Krypton progressive flex, and it sounds like the Lupos have it, but upright ankles is not how I ski. If you have to change your style to match your equipment something is backwards.
    As far as the lean angle, cannot say. But do know that the softer tongue is still available, has to be ordered separately. As far as changing style to match equipment isn't that what everyone's been doing since shaped skis and rocker showed up? Does anyone still ski like they did when fatties were 70 mm and 207 long?

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamland
    Posts
    617
    Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    As far as the lean angle, cannot say. But do know that the softer tongue is still available, has to be ordered separately. As far as changing style to match equipment isn't that what everyone's been doing since shaped skis and rocker showed up? Does anyone still ski like they did when fatties were 70 mm and 207 long?
    I have been experimenting for years with many different kinds of boots skiing with different forward lean angles. My experience was that if you keep making your boots more upright there is a point where (depending on your personal body mechanics) it just does not work as well. Some people can ski great with a 12* boot, but that's not me.

    Given enough time and practice you can get used to anything, but buying skis and boots that fit your style seems to make more sense than forcing a substantial technique change because the industry thinks you should. Adjustable forward lean is a no-brainer. After having Kryptons with the ability to easily change the lean and flex I realized the value of being able to dial in your boots for optimum function. We are all not created equal, and boots are your connection to everything that is happening, so its nice to be able to adapt them to how your particular body works (rather than the other way around).
    Gravity Junkie

    The white zone is for loading and unloading. If you need to load or unload go to the white zone. You'll love it!
    The Central Scrutinizer

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    1/2 way between Reno and Tahoe
    Posts
    5,566
    Good point on the forward lean. If I find the Lupos are too upright for me, then I guess I'll be getting a second pair of boots this year.


    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You donít stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    839
    Everything is going more upright there days. I bought the KR2 pros because the maxed out forward lean setting felt like just enough. And it was surely more than any other boots in that category I tried. Langes are super upright now.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    204
    I received my Lupo's. There does not appear to be any forward lean adjustment (wedge system) or rear flex adjustment like my Il Moros. There is can't adjustment. The boot shipped with 2 tongues,the softer of the two tongues (orange) installed. The grey tongue is significantly stiffer. Hope this helps.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    66
    If the forward lean is more upright I'm thinkin' better go with the KR 2 myself. I tried the Tecnica Cochise Dyn 120 last year and found no love for the new position (eg. uprigth).
    Now I'm curious about how KR 2 and/or Lupo measure in forward lean comparison to K2 Pinnacle 130s? All of these are on my shortlist.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    People's Republic of MN
    Posts
    4,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakelander View Post
    I received my Lupo's. There does not appear to be any forward lean adjustment (wedge system) or rear flex adjustment like my Il Moros. There is can't adjustment. The boot shipped with 2 tongues,the softer of the two tongues (orange) installed. The grey tongue is significantly stiffer. Hope this helps.
    I had my Kryps set up with the medium FL wedge, and could have certainly managed without it...I think. I assume the canting adjustments are the little plastic insert as in the past? Glad to hear they come with soft tongues too. I think I always used the softer ones with mine. Did they have the foot boards that you can swap out? If not, did they have the hard ones or the rubber ones?
    Gravity. It's the law.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •